House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Gloom

Island Harbour Isle Of Wight

I took a drive down to Island Harbour on the Isle of Wight yesterday. Another south coast development in which the developer went bust. I see a frightening pattern emerging. The new builds are deralict, the moorings are deralict and the existing harbour is only 50% full. Much less than a few years ago. Will report shortly.

It is winter - a lot of boats are out of the water.

Was there in the summer and moored just next to the townhouses built on an elevated raft over the water. All empty. Buildings completed, though. Shoddy in places.

I think they are all designated as holiday home; no all year round occupancy.

It is winter - a lot of boats are out of the water.

Was there in the summer and moored just next to the townhouses built on an elevated raft over the water. All empty. Buildings completed, though. Shoddy in places.

I think they are all designated as holiday home; no all year round occupancy.

Lived aboard my boat there for many happy years and had a mooring there for 20 years . Marina was then sold on to some really funny people who got planning permission for housing phase 2. They were completed around 6 years ago but none were sold and have fallen into disrepair. The marina was then sold on to some more peculiar dealers who then developed phase 3 of the housing (the ones on the elevated piles). They were complete disaster. Finished about 3 years ago using mainly eastern eoropean labour and again none are sold. All the houses have been reduced by 40% since being built and still no interest. The last developer acting for a dodgy consortium said that money was no object 2 years before going bankrupt. Planning has now been granted for a hotel complex on site. The entire venture is still being "run" by the adminstrators. The marina is empty for most part of the year. There are more boats there in the winter than the summer because they offer a reduced rate which attracts boats off the river. Sadly, this once idyllic marina now faces a huge new industrial estate built with government funding for Vestas across the river which has totally destroyed its charm and that of the entire Medina valley. In a few years the marina will cease to exist because it can never be economically viable as a stand alone going concern. In 23 years they have turned something that was popular and beautiful into complete tat. That's Isle of Wight planning and development for you :angry:

Half way up the Medina on the East side.

Superb place to use as a base to visit the IoW. Quiet, sheltered location and handy for all the buses.

The walk to Newport can be interesting; I stumbled across a sort of medieval vagabond encampment in the woods once.

I'm on the other side of the water, Southampton. Might move over there if the rents are cheap. Look someone over there make me an offer...

I'm on the other side of the water, Southampton. Might move over there if the rents are cheap. Look someone over there make me an offer...

You will be a 2nd class citizen :P , or 'overner' as we call you non-caulkheads.

Lived aboard my boat there for many happy years and had a mooring there for 20 years . Marina was then sold on to some really funny people who got planning permission for housing phase 2. They were completed around 6 years ago but none were sold and have fallen into disrepair. The marina was then sold on to some more peculiar dealers who then developed phase 3 of the housing (the ones on the elevated piles). They were complete disaster. Finished about 3 years ago using mainly eastern eoropean labour and again none are sold. All the houses have been reduced by 40% since being built and still no interest. The last developer acting for a dodgy consortium said that money was no object 2 years before going bankrupt. Planning has now been granted for a hotel complex on site. The entire venture is still being "run" by the adminstrators. The marina is empty for most part of the year. There are more boats there in the winter than the summer because they offer a reduced rate which attracts boats off the river. Sadly, this once idyllic marina now faces a huge new industrial estate built with government funding for Vestas across the river which has totally destroyed its charm and that of the entire Medina valley. In a few years the marina will cease to exist because it can never be economically viable as a stand alone going concern. In 23 years they have turned something that was popular and beautiful into complete tat. That's Isle of Wight planning and development for you :angry:

I did look for the 'out of water' boats but couldn't see any, i'm not sure the boatyard would like to have numerous boats out of the water making the place look untidy. Nor are the remaining boats the sort which need to be taken out anyway. It wasn't the fact that most of the places are empty down there because they are second homes. They are empty full stop, empty to the point of deraliction. I'm not being pesimistic in my observations as some posters seem to think, but rather the developers are being over optimistic in their appeal of these properties to people who simply don't exist.

I can recommend Admirals Point, Charles Church, Hawthorn Meadows, Nelson Drive (Cowes), will be cheap but will leave you clinically depressed.

Long live Bill Murphy, head of planning, Isle of Wight Council.