House Price Crash Forum
awaytogo

Benefit Fraudsters Abroad To Be Targeted.

What a joke the Benefit system is in this country, no wonder the country is on it Knees.

We cannot catch the cheats in this country never mind abroad :angry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12081634

crackdown has been launched by the government on UK benefit cheats who live abroad.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has joined forces with overseas counterparts to target the countries where the most cases take place.

The DWP said the highest instances of fraud was recorded by people living in Spain, Pakistan, the US and Bangladesh.

Scams include people not declaring they have moved abroad or claiming for relatives who have died.

Others examples were of people working while abroad, having unreported assets such as property, savings or even yachts, or exaggerating a level of disability.

Claimants are told to notify the DWP if they go abroad as it could affect entitlement to benefits.

UK fraud investigators work with overseas organisations such as land registries, as well as the Foreign Office and British banks, to track down the cheats.

'Lining pockets'

Welfare reform minister Lord Freud said "abroad fraud" cost the taxpayer about £66m last year.

He said the rate of fraud was rising as more people chose to live overseas: "We are on an uphill curve."

He said the money "should be going to the people who need it most and not lining the pockets of criminals sunning themselves overseas."

He described the fraud as "corrosive to the benefits system."

The DWP was the biggest department of state, Lord Freud said. "If people feel this money is not being spent properly it undermines the whole rationale for the welfare state."

The government has recently launched a hotline in Portugal for people to report benefit crime, adding to an existing service available in Spain.

One benefit cheat living in Granada, Spain, was recently caught after a hotline call.

She had claimed more than £10,000 income support and child tax credits since 2006 despite living with a partner abroad.

She later pleaded guilty in court and was ordered to complete community service and to repay the money.

The databases they already have should show them each and everyone one of these cases.

The fact they have to wait to be snitched up shows why govts are crap at handling data and using their existing databases would be a bad idea for any id card system.

One benefit cheat living in Granada, Spain,

So she has to repay the money and do a bit of community service.

Where did she have to do the community service? Here or in Granada?

What a joke the Benefit system is in this country, no wonder the country is on it Knees.

The DWP said the highest instances of fraud was recorded by people living in Spain, Pakistan, the US and Bangladesh.

Scams include people not declaring they have moved abroad or claiming for relatives who have died.

I wonder how many 90+ year olds are officially drawing a UK pension in those countries (and how many are still drawing breath)?

The databases they already have should show them each and everyone one of these cases.

The fact they have to wait to be snitched up shows why govts are crap at handling data and using their existing databases would be a bad idea for any id card system.

The Benefit system in this country is a milking cow for the whole of the world, it has just become a fiddlers paradise.

Why don't they put a advertisement on TV. are YOU claiming Benefits, Why NOT, If you are not claiming benefits and know you are not entitled to to them , THEN contact US we will show you how, Contact "WE CAN GET YOU BENEFITS EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO THEM DIRECT". You working WHY contact us we can get you out of this silly habbit, Millions of people have been helped from the povery of working with help from us. CONTACT US NOW FOR A BRIGHTER FUTURE. :P

I wonder how many 90+ year olds are officially drawing a UK pension in those countries (and how many are still drawing breath)?

If you have paid your national insurance for 40+ years in the uk which would have been the case of a 90 year old you are entitled to draw your pension abroad, but in many cases it is fixed a t the rate the year they started drawing it ?

The Benefit system in this country is a milking cow for the whole of the world, it has just become a fiddlers paradise.

Why don't they put a advertisement on TV. are YOU claiming Benefits, Why NOT, If you are not claiming benefits and know you are not entitled to to them , THEN contact US we will show you how, Contact "WE CAN GET YOU BENEFITS EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO THEM DIRECT". You working WHY contact us we can get you out of this silly habbit, Millions of people have been helped from the povery of working with help from us. CONTACT US NOW FOR A BRIGHTER FUTURE. :P

cost the taxpayer about £66m last year
Its the total cost this includes sending the investigators over etc.. infact it pretty low and compare it to the amount of people on benefits this is like .01% its nothing. Now i'd like them to tackle MPs expenses, rich tax fraud, banking fraud etc...

I guess you guys still think our deficit is because of the unemployed, some people still fall for it.

Its the total cost this includes sending the investigators over etc.. infact it pretty low and compare it to the amount of people on benefits this is like .01% its nothing. Now i'd like them to tackle MPs expenses, rich tax fraud, banking fraud etc...

I guess you guys still think our deficit is because of the unemployed, some people still fall for it.

Benefit fraud is massive, most estimates are way under the actual figures. Many claim it to top up their incomes. Add in the claims from this that tame the system, and you cone up with some horrendous figures.

From what I can see in my own area, benefits are either paid fraudulently, or they encourage people not to work.

Try taxing the rich if you like,that won't close the deficit. Benefits are where you have to look, in addition to bloated public sector salaries.

This post is not about the countrys DEFICIT or the unemployed, its about Benefit fraud, EG people claiming for benefits which they are not entitled to. Which is out of control and seems to be a living for a lot of people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12081634

crackdown has been launched by the government on UK benefit cheats who live abroad.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has joined forces with overseas counterparts to target the countries where the most cases take place.

Others examples were of people working while abroad, having unreported assets such as property, savings or even yachts, or exaggerating a level of disability.

Claimants are told to notify the DWP if they go abroad as it could affect entitlement to benefits.

UK fraud investigators work with overseas organisations such as land registries, as well as the Foreign Office and British banks, to track down the cheats.

'Lining pockets'

Welfare reform minister Lord Freud said "abroad fraud" cost the taxpayer about £66m last year.

He said the rate of fraud was rising as more people chose to live overseas: "We are on an uphill curve."

He said the money "should be going to the people who need it most and not lining the pockets of criminals sunning themselves overseas."

He described the fraud as "corrosive to the benefits system."

The DWP was the biggest department of state, Lord Freud said. "If people feel this money is not being spent properly it undermines the whole rationale for the welfare state."

The government has recently launched a hotline in Portugal for people to report benefit crime, adding to an existing service available in Spain.

One benefit cheat living in Granada, Spain, was recently caught after a hotline call.

She had claimed more than £10,000 income support and child tax credits since 2006 despite living with a partner abroad.

She later pleaded guilty in court and was ordered to complete community service and to repay the money.

Though IMHO the BA don't help themselves by making the "overseas" rule too draconian.

The idea that someone on benefit isn't allowed to go on holiday for a week without "signing off" is bloody ridiculous. It's no wonder people, don't tell them when they go for longer

tim

The idea that someone on benefit isn't allowed to go on holiday for a week without "signing off" is bloody ridiculous. It's no wonder people, don't tell them when they go for longer

The claim is for 'job seekers allowance'. If you are on holiday, by definition, you are not actively seeking work, and therefore become ineligible to claim. To tell DWP that you are going away and don't wish to claim for certain days is a trivial task, so I don't have any sympathy for those that fail to do so.

The problem is that pursuing such petty cases of benefit fraud is often not worth the costs, as even in the event of a successful prosecution, there would be no way to recover the crown's costs.

All beneficiaries should be made to physically attend a DHSS office every couple of weeks. Long-term claimants should also be fingerprinted and have their retina scans taken. The penalities for abusing the system should be printed in enlarged bold type on every document requiring signature.

The coalition knew disability benefit fraud was rampant but Labour were unaware? Perhaps all MPs feel guilty about the abuse because they themselves are also fraudsters?

Personally I'd like to see these thieves, MPs and career criminals publicly flogged and then fined 10x the amount they stole.

It seems that Britain has become too weak to impose the proper punishments. The country is dying.

All beneficiaries should be made to physically attend a DHSS office every couple of weeks.

Ha! That would eliminate almost the entire welfare bill; only Doctor Who would be able to claim.

The ignorance on display in these benefit bashing threads never ceases to amaze.

Long-term claimants should also be fingerprinted and have their retina scans taken.

What would such fascist nonsense achieve (apart from adding hundreds of millions to the already bloated administration costs)? Benefit fraud is generally caused by people claiming for benefits for which they are not entitled, not by claiming to be someone they are not.

Just registering www.WE-CAN-GET-YOU-BENEFITS-EVEN-IF-YOU-ARE-NOT-ENTITLED-TO-THEM-DIRECT.com

Ha! That would eliminate almost the entire welfare bill; only Doctor Who would be able to claim.

The ignorance on display in these benefit bashing threads never ceases to amaze.

What would such fascist nonsense achieve (apart from adding hundreds of millions to the already bloated administration costs)? Benefit fraud is generally caused by people claiming for benefits for which they are not entitled, not by claiming to be someone they are not.

Ignorance! The country is riddled with fraud, from that Brasilian long-haired tw*t on X-Factor right up to the Lords.

Unfortunately Britain is full of people that believe any tough measures are Fascist. You use that term very freely without understanding its true meaning.

If Britain doesn't correct its current course you will end up with Fascism. The unfettered immigration and huge cultural problems in Britain will see to that. Unemployment is just about to take off and the government needs to direct benefits to the needy, not to X-Factor contestants and Albanian gypsies.

If people want benefits they need to go and collect them or be visited by government representatives.

The elephant in the room for UK payment fraud abroad is the problem recently uncovered in Japan - relatives in receipt of pension payments for dead family members, often for decades after they died.

The problem never used to exist but some years back many commonwealth-origin Brits who came in the 50s and 60s started to retire to their countries of origin, and pressure led to it being made possible for their pensions to be collected at their local post office abroad.

More recently payments have been made easier still, with online payments to bank accounts all done online.

When I worked in immigration we used to send our visa officers up into the hills of Pakistan and other countries, on missions for DWP (or whatever it was then) to find UK pensioners. Many were long dead, but the villagers would roll out some toothless old idiot to pretend to be the 98 year old - a brief interview usually put paid to the scam and the pensions were stopped.

The problem now is that recent waves of retirees to these countries have live bank payments made online for their pensions, and their families use their cash cards etc. Corruption and rural remoteness in such countries makes it easy to fail to register the eventual death of grandad, or to fail to inform DWP back here - but the payments roll in.

Combine this with UK F&Co/UKBA/DWP cutbacks plus the sheer danger now of driving into the taleban hills, and you can see how many thousands of cases of long dead UK pensioners in receipt of live pensions, will never be dug up. Puns galore!

Recently a journalist contacted me to ask me for quotes on all these scams, but I declined since my hands on knowledge is now old, one foot in the grave, but I informed him to submit some FOI requests to the DWP to find out exactly how many thousands of 100 year olds are still claiming their pensions in third world countries where health care is rubbish and death rate averages are in the low 60's....

Billions lost each year - but how do we get to the bottom of this grave situation?

Billions lost each year - but how do we get to the bottom of this grave situation?

It's very easy; you make the payment schedule have a renewal date. The person in receipt of these benefits has to present themselves to a consulate or passport office annually.

It's very easy; you make the payment schedule have a renewal date. The person in receipt of these benefits has to present themselves to a consulate or passport office annually.

Not so easy, because:

1. A pension is not a benefit, but an entitlement usually based on contributions paid when of working age;

2. British pensioners living in the UK are not forced to appear in person to prove they are alive every now and again, hence any attempt to enforce this overseas would undoubtedly lead to legal challenges on racial discrimination grounds. Additionally there would be legal issues raised about the sheer magnitude of enforcing some old and frail pensioners (very frail in the case of the long dead) to make treks of thousands of miles in some cases, and in others overseas, to the closest UK consulate or embassy.

But your idea may have some merit in future, when every remote rural village has a satellite internet connection with video skype, so our officials can interview them on the web (we are talking decades most likely, many villages do not even have power).

Benefit Fraud is a huge problem in the UK. All the investigations are reactive - almost entirely garnered from the public using the telephone hotlines and up until a few years ago were written down on paper to be sent in batches up north to Newcastle - the pressure kettle environment that that the operatives worked in and the subsequent high attrition rate of employees lead to poor quality referals that mostly did not get followed up.

The overseas thing is particularly accute in the 'stani countries with benefit cheats typically making many jaunts 'home' and I suspect many have fled until the thaw. I knew someone who was fiddling the system while working as a petrol attendant at his brothers station. He spent half the year in the UK and the other half in a beautiful villa on a hill (albeit heavily mined) in Kashmir. His brother worked the other half of the year at the aforemention station and I assume signed for **** then.

Edited by tomposh101

Not so easy, because:

1. A pension is not a benefit, but an entitlement usually based on contributions paid when of working age;

2. British pensioners living in the UK are not forced to appear in person to prove they are alive every now and again, hence any attempt to enforce this overseas would undoubtedly lead to legal challenges on racial discrimination grounds. Additionally there would be legal issues raised about the sheer magnitude of enforcing some old and frail pensioners (very frail in the case of the long dead) to make treks of thousands of miles in some cases, and in others overseas, to the closest UK consulate or embassy.

But your idea may have some merit in future, when every remote rural village has a satellite internet connection with video skype, so our officials can interview them on the web (we are talking decades most likely, many villages do not even have power).

Unfortunately I agree with you about the legal challenges. I still believe the onus should be placed on the recipient of the payments to prove they are still alive.

If someone moves to some obscure place in the world then tough.

I know pensions are not benefits but in reality they are tax on the British taxpayer. If everyone stopped paying tax there wouldn't be a pension to distribute! The government therefore has a duty to pursue each and every fraudulent claim.

He spent half the year in the UK and the other half in a beautiful villa on a hill (albeit heavily mined) in Kashmir. His brother worked the other half of the year at the aforemention station and I assume signed for **** then.

Let's hope there is a loud bang in the hills then.