House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hyperduck Quack Quack

Shopping Centre Manager Predicts Recovery In 2011

On BBC News 24 today they were at a big shopping centre in Leicester covering the supposed sale 'stampede'. The centre didn't look very busy to me. Anyway, they interviewed the manager who was pretty bullish about consumer spending, about how the recovery in the last few months was set to continue through next year.

So far we've been very successful at kicking the can down the road in the UK. House prices remain high, interest rates low, people still have money in their pockets, jobs to go to, etc, etc.

I'm not seeing this 'recovery' they speak of but neither am I seeing 'collapse.' I was hoping for a harsh crash followed by a slow recovery, but instead we seem to be slowly and painfully grinding downwards. I honestly cannot be arsed if we are going to follow Japan down the lost decade(s) route.

Honestly

Of course he would say that, however like most people its just a wild "hope" he like most havnt got a clue what is going on.

ask him directly where the next wave of money supply is going to come from to fund the spend spend spend recovery that he wants and he would

look at you like you were from mars !

He is a manager....growth is all he can predict, otherwise, he will be replaced with someone who WILL grow it, and make it happen.

cant have realist bears making the shareholders sad.

On BBC News 24 today they were at a big shopping centre in Leicester covering the supposed sale 'stampede'. The centre didn't look very busy to me. Anyway, they interviewed the manager who was pretty bullish about consumer spending, about how the recovery in the last few months was set to continue through next year.

I am afraid I agree with him, provided certan criteria are met:

1. No significant job losses in 2011

2. VAT hike is cancelled

3. No more troubles in the Eurozone

4. No IR hikes in the UK

5. House prices fall no further

6. Sea chnage in consumer sentiment

On balance, I think it safer to assume the shopkeeper is being optimistic to keep his morale from tanking.

Retailers fear lower sales in 2011 - BRC survey

10:15, Monday 27 December 2010
LONDON (
Reuters
) - Most retailers are expecting lower sales in 2011 on the back of weak consumer demand and inflationary pressures, a survey by the British Retail Consortium (BRC) said on Monday.
The BRC's survey said
nearly two-thirds of retailers it had contacted expected sales to worsen from 2010
, and many also expected next year's rise in the VAT (value added tax) levy to impact consumers' spending.

That bullish store manager couldn't have timed his statement at a worse time. He will soon be a majority of one. :lol:

Edited by Realistbear

...if you keep repeating the same thing over and over again eventually you will begin to believe it. ;)

I would like to ask the shopping centre manager where he thinks the recovery will be coming from...higher house prices and mew'd money. :lol:

...if you keep repeating the same thing over and over again eventually you will begin to believe it. ;)

I would like to ask the shopping centre manager where he thinks the recovery will be coming from...higher house prices and mew'd money. :lol:

Come on!!!.......... he must be more reliable than the shoe shine boy.

According to a BRC survey, just 18pc of retail businesses expected sales to improve in 2011, compared with 64pc who expect a deterioration. Can I have some of what that centre manager was drinking.

Meanwhile, Boxing sales shopper numbers plunged by an average of 22.8% nationally, down to a 27% plunge in the South West. Switch onto the Beeb and you'll get the usual hype :lol:

Edited by gruffydd