House Price Crash Forum

Telegraph: Jobs Outlook Awful

HOLA441

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/UK-jobs-market-real-pressure-tele-3089166402.html;_ylt=AoYOZDeXugXw9kouwbYFjP7Sr7FG;_ylu=X3oDMTE4aHJ2dXJwBHBvcwM5BHNlYwN5ZmlUb3BTdG9yaWVzBHNsawN1a2pvYnNtYXJrZXQ-?x=0

UK jobs market 'under real pressure' in 2011
Louisa "Weezy" Peacock, 5:47, Monday 27 December 2010
The UK jobs market will be "under real pressure" in 2011 with public spending cuts leading to
thousands of redundancies,
a recruitment body has warned.
Just a fifth of businesses said they would take on new staff next year, a report by the Recruitment and Employment Confederation, published today, found. Neary a third said they would grow their temporary workforce however, suggesting employers were still nervous about hiring permanent positions.

2011 is when we shall see the lagging indicator kick in to act as a HPC accelerant par excellence.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Talking to relatives and friends this festive period - just about everybody private and public sector is talking about seeing redundancies in 2011 where they work. The only people that aren't tend to be the kind of person who thinks houses are still fair value and in some cases may be underpriced.

Remember all those Press stories just a week ago about thousands of Public Sector workers getting their redundancy letters prior to Christmas?

Hmm, has the snow merely delayed these letters or was it all just b*ll*cks? I assume the latter. The coming week will tell.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Just can't understand why there people on this forum who want to see people lose their jobs. I just don't get that sick mentality.

It is logical for a house price forum. There is a relatively fixed number of houses and for you to occupy one, the previous occupant must leave. The idea is to exchange places with him renting and you owning. The more people lose their jobs, the more people lose their houses to the bank. Thus houses become cheaper for the would-be homeowner.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Just can't understand why there people on this forum who want to see people lose their jobs. I just don't get that sick mentality.

It's such a privilege to lose your job, why would one not wish to share the joy?

As I've just personally discovered, the first £30k of redundancy pay is tax-free, and the remainder is taxed at a far lower rate than earned income. What's not to like? :P

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Because some people disagree with the need for these "jobs", and as they are funded by the complainant's taxes*, they are now celebrating their end.

* yes, I know, to be precise I should have said "... by the complainant's grand-children's taxes"

HOLA4411

I don't want to see people lose their jobs Dubsie. There are economic and political policies that could ensure. one way or another, that people did not lose theior jobs. That is to say, there will always be stuff that needs doing, cheap social housing can always be built to accomnodate with dignity those who need it etc. These things, though, are sadly not on the agenda.

That being the case, higher interest rates, a contracting economy, jobs losses and all the rest are all things that need to happen as part of the overall driving force behind house price falls. It's house prices, as they currently stand, that is and has been forcing a generation into debt slavery. Whatever else may or may be wrong with our country, that is not right.

Whilst I'm sure you know, as well as I, that there is a much bigger political/economic process being played out here, it's entirely understandable that people here might take heart that various indicators, including evenb jobs-losses, are pointing towards futrher house price falls.

Edited by tallguy

HOLA4412

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/UK-jobs-market-real-pressure-tele-3089166402.html;_ylt=AoYOZDeXugXw9kouwbYFjP7Sr7FG;_ylu=X3oDMTE4aHJ2dXJwBHBvcwM5BHNlYwN5ZmlUb3BTdG9yaWVzBHNsawN1a2pvYnNtYXJrZXQ-?x=0

UK jobs market 'under real pressure' in 2011
Louisa "Weezy" Peacock, 5:47, Monday 27 December 2010
The UK jobs market will be "under real pressure" in 2011 with public spending cuts leading to
thousands of redundancies,
a recruitment body has warned.
Just a fifth of businesses said they would take on new staff next year, a report by the Recruitment and Employment Confederation, published today, found. Neary a third said they would grow their temporary workforce however, suggesting employers were still nervous about hiring permanent positions.

2011 is when we shall see the lagging indicator kick in to act as a HPC accelerant par excellence.

Quite right, the only way we're going to get a crash is an increase in forced sales. I feel like a bit of a ******* for rubbing my hands with glee at this but...

HOLA4413

It is logical for a house price forum. There is a relatively fixed number of houses and for you to occupy one, the previous occupant must leave. The idea is to exchange places with him renting and you owning. The more people lose their jobs, the more people lose their houses to the bank. Thus houses become cheaper for the would-be homeowner.

Spot on. I don't believe people on here want to see hardship forced upon anyone, but if sanity is ever to be resorted to the housing market than some people are going to have to suffer. If it was good enough for the priced out to suffer in the boom then it is good enough for the home-owners to suffer in the bust.

HOLA4414

the jobs going are the result of the boom.

no-one wants or needs a boom bust economy, but in spite of the previous PM curing it and relegating boom and bust to another era, here it is again.

Unsound money, profligacy and waste are the culprits, unemployment and bankruptcy the result.

HOLA4415

You begin with the underlying cause of a sick economy that results in job losses.

HPI.

Job losses are a necessary consequence of the greed years. Many who will lose their jobs will have participated in the greed whcih means redundancy is some sort of "rough justice."

Hopefully, after a few years of pain and unemployment this country will have learned its lesson and will not seek to rely on HPI as a replacement for good honest hard work and productive activities.

HOLA4416

It's not that i'd enjoy seeing people unemployed but the waste must be worked out of the system for the country to emerge stronger after, otherwise we'll all end up going round the U-bend in the long term if non-job roles are supported now. The needs of the many outway the needs of the few.

the jobs going are the result of the boom.

no-one wants or needs a boom bust economy, but in spite of the previous PM curing it and relegating boom and bust to another era, here it is again.

Unsound money, profligacy and waste are the culprits, unemployment and bankruptcy the result.

Spoken like a true Austrian

Edited by zebbedee

HOLA4417

I want to see jobs being lost that should never have been created in the first place.Equality officers , smoking enforcement officers , the massive excess of managers in council and NHS positions.When those jobs are gone , they can start cutting red tape , lowering council rates and some taxes and trying to get the private sector growing again instead of pumping up the inefficent public sector with non-jobs.

HOLA4418

I want to see jobs being lost that should never have been created in the first place.Equality officers , smoking enforcement officers , the massive excess of managers in council and NHS positions.When those jobs are gone , they can start cutting red tape , lowering council rates and some taxes and trying to get the private sector growing again instead of pumping up the inefficent public sector with non-jobs.

You really dont get it do you.

Do an analysis of the British economy circa 01/01/2008 and tell me where all the debt was sitting on that date (and I am talking all classes of debt not just that which funds the PBSR).

Do an analysyis on 01/11/2011 and tell me where it is sitting now

Then do an analysis of the number of additional people employed by the public sector in that period (you may be be surprised to find that some government departments such as HMRC had many less staff at the end of this period than the beginning ).

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/about/hmrc-accs-0910.pdf

Then tell me where all the money has gone.

BTW I do have to smile about all the threads on here highlighting the threat of inflation given the fact that in respect of the single biggest purchase most people make in their lifetime that horse bolted many years go.

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

HOLA4419

Not quite that simple is it. Labour stimulated the economy increasing public sector to get out of recession and even in their basic thinking those jobs are not sustainable long term. By any measure some, maybe all and perhaps jobs extra to those created have to go. How quickly the HPCer wants those jobs to go, leading to undermining of the housing market, is a matter of personal preference. Personally I'm for a slow, managed decline. Happy to wait for several years. Others want a catastrophic crash with millions thrown out of their jobs and homes which I don't quite get either. If that kind of HPCer wants a cheap house in a broken and chaotic society they can already get that - perhaps Bulgaria or Romania would suit them.

HOLA4420

The one person who really wanted to see massive unemployment was Gordon Brown.

He must want this. Why else would he create the perfect conditions for a tidal wave of job losses?

HOLA4421

Others want a catastrophic crash with millions thrown out of their jobs and homes which I don't quite get either. If that kind of HPCer wants a cheap house in a broken and chaotic society they can already get that - perhaps Bulgaria or Romania would suit them.

Not quite, in that the problem is with your slow decline desire is that it means I am personally asked to pay for the misdeeds of others. How can that be fair? Longer it goes on the more I am asked to pay. Additionally for nearly a decade now I have had it rubbed into my face by the haves for being a have not. Regularly at work and especially by family. In addition to zero to low pay increases because everybody's house price was increasing surely you're benefiting from this type mentality.

Therefore they kicked me on the way up with HPI. So why shouldn't I stomp on them on the way down?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Remember all those Press stories just a week ago about thousands of Public Sector workers getting their redundancy letters prior to Christmas?

Hmm, has the snow merely delayed these letters or was it all just b*ll*cks? I assume the latter. The coming week will tell.

80% of Brent and Harrow ICT department got their 4 months notice about 10 days ago - just like that. It is happening. just not nice when you know the people involved and most (not all I admit) do work hard.

HOLA4424

Not quite, in that the problem is with your slow decline desire is that it means I am personally asked to pay for the misdeeds of others. How can that be fair? Longer it goes on the more I am asked to pay. Additionally for nearly a decade now I have had it rubbed into my face by the haves for being a have not. Regularly at work and especially by family. In addition to zero to low pay increases because everybody's house price was increasing surely you're benefiting from this type mentality.

Therefore they kicked me on the way up with HPI. So why shouldn't I stomp on them on the way down?

I totally get what you are saying but no point in having the house you always longed for if you can't leave it for fear of being mugged or gettin burgled and can't leave your car on the drive through fear of it getting twocked.

The kind of HPC people want comes with that baggge unfortunately. I think there has to be a balance and a 30-40% house ptrice fall over 5 years would do me nicely. 30-40% in a year and we have a ******ed society. Unfortunately.

HOLA4425

I totally get what you are saying but no point in having the house you always longed for if you can't leave it for fear of being mugged or gettin burgled and can't leave your car on the drive through fear of it getting twocked.

The kind of HPC people want comes with that baggge unfortunately. I think there has to be a balance and a 30-40% house ptrice fall over 5 years would do me nicely. 30-40% in a year and we have a ******ed society. Unfortunately.

I'd of much rather Gordon Brown keep to his promise and not let house prices run away from normal people. But he didn't. That's why this website is here. If we're going to have Boom, Bust, Boom, bust, best not buy a house at the start of the bust. I'm well up for house prices crashing as fast as possible.