House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

John Lewis Crimbo Sales Up 30.6%

John Lewis: Sales up 30.6 percent in week to December 25
Print..11:45, Sunday 26 December 2010
LONDON (
Reuters
) - Retailer John Lewis said on Sunday that sales in the week to Christmas Day rose by 30.6 percent compared to the same period last year, to reach 97.1 million pounds.

Upscale stores doing very well indeed. The rich (and MPs) must be getting richer.

John Lewis: Sales up 30.6 percent in week to December 25
Print..11:45, Sunday 26 December 2010
LONDON (
Reuters
) - Retailer John Lewis said on Sunday that sales in the week to Christmas Day rose by 30.6 percent compared to the same period last year, to reach 97.1 million pounds.

Upscale stores doing very well indeed. The rich (and MPs) must be getting richer.

and their margins?

They have resorted to breaking the law.

Case in point I'm religious about staying off mailing lists. Anyway becuase of some previous online purchases made over 5 years ago, they started sending text messages out offering special offers. To unsubsribe I have to pay 1 text message to Opt Out! Thats got my goat. ;)

Anyway raised a complaint with the Data Controller as they should be ICO registered and now just going through the motions.

In one email John Lewis claimed they didnt send the text message out :lol: , to which I find it hard to believe some charitable text message provider is doing a txt spam campaign for them!

I also pointed out that the webaddress being sent out in the text is a valid one linking to their website and not some pron site.

Anyway they havent asked me yet for any details like who I am or where I live yet to even attempt to take me off the mailing list so when the Data Controller fails to address the complaint properly next stop is raising it with the Data Commision complaints process and complaint to OfCom over this as well.

I think alot of large companies rely on people not spending time following this up but they havent met me. :D

Take 'em down!

VAT increase. Between now and Jan 1st will be all the sales for the next 3 months crammed into a few days. They will be up. Q1 2011 will be massively down.

Lets think logically, what are the possible reasons?

1. Creative accounting - double counting, etc all out lying. Number of TVs shipped from warehouse to outlet already counted as sold.

2. HPC are too blinkered and can't believe the figures are true and people have money in the recovery.

3. The figures are not like for like. Inflation has boosted figures. Eg. 1 TV £500. last year, this year is £650.

4. Poor journalism, who hasn’t dug deeper into the figures.

Those figures are very interesting.

Initially I had thought that JL were spinning the figures like the BBC had in reports (rather than report figures are down they reported figures were down when we had snow but up afterwards, but not sure about overall)..

I guess things must have picked up a lot.. Snow affects shopping at The Mall

something doesn't feel right about these headline numbers. On the ground jlp is asquiet as everyone else.

I'd agree with that. Something is skewing these figures if they are even genuine. Most retailers in my West Country town experienced an absolute bloodbath in Xmas week, and nearby towns similar. Here, high ticket items got hit the hardest - sub £10 items held up the best.

Record Boxing Day queues in Arndales & megamalls around the country don't add up to an enhanced bottom line for retailers. PLC retailers have a tendency to slash prices to any level just to get footfall and spend, and then hope to catch up margin later on before the accounts get compiled. Why? Lots of senior jobs are on the line - their jobs are only as safe as this quarter's figures. So the figures get ridiculously skewed.

I'd bet that there's been more of a downturn over Xmas than the chain-store generated headlines would have you believe. Let's see when the results come out.

Source :- NumberWang

Record Christmas sales

Today three retailers trumpeted record sales figures over the Christmas period, particularly from online sales.

Department store group John Lewis, whose sale began on Christmas Eve, reported a 42% increase in online sales that day compared to 2009. Online sales were up by 45% on Christmas Day, with sales peaking between 9pm and 10pm.

The week leading up to Christmas saw total sales of £97.1m, a rise of 30.5% compared with last year. Nine of John Lewis's shops notched up record sales days for the run-up to Christmas.

Rival group House of Fraser, which began its sale online at midday on Christmas Eve, said that on Christmas Day online sales were up almost 150% compared to the previous year.

Upmarket supermarket Waitrose said that its sales for December up to last Thursday were up 5.4% on a like-for-like basis, while supermarket deliveries ordered online were up 45%.

Poor sales in the weeks before?

All the competition has gone bust?

Rampant inflation?

Today three retailers trumpeted record sales figures over the Christmas period, particularly from online sales.

Department store group John Lewis, whose sale began on Christmas Eve, reported a 42% increase in online sales that day compared to 2009. Online sales were up by 45% on Christmas Day, with sales peaking between 9pm and 10pm.

The week leading up to Christmas saw total sales of £97.1m, a rise of 30.5% compared with last year. Nine of John Lewis's shops notched up record sales days for the run-up to Christmas.

Rival group House of Fraser, which began its sale online at midday on Christmas Eve, said that on Christmas Day online sales were up almost 150% compared to the previous year.

There is the answer. Online sales. My boy, who does an online version of what we do in the shop ... same product range ... same prices ... is well up on his Xmas turnover, whereas we and other physical High St. traders are down on last year.

The answer is becoming painfully clear. Especially if we are entering an Al Gore predicted scenario of Gulf Stream slowdown and resultant harsh winters for 10,000 years in Devon & Cornwall. Chuck out the hippy pewter jewellery stand, and sell snow tyres on ebay instead !

:huh:

edit : Darn ! I couldn't spell 'jewellery'

Edited by johnny5thumbs

Looks like the new stores built in 2010 accounted for the increased sales, like for like looks down.

Will have to see what other retailers mention like for like sales or not.

its the snow

Snow was forecast for the end of the week and its timing could hardly have proved more challenging for customers or Partners. However both groups are made of stern stuff and while our customers showed considerable determination to reach our shops to fulfil their Christmas shopping, our Partners rose splendidly to the challenge and, as a result, sales exceeding £120m were secured for the second week in a row and just the second time in our history. In the end the snow did rob us of a record we looked certain to smash until Saturday, but to deliver a 7 per cent increase on last year in such a difficult set of circumstances is an outcome of which we can be truly proud.

Tinfoil-fest in this thread.

Inflation hasnt affected JL goods much. Look at the inflation report to see what stuff costs more.

Ask yourself what sort of people shop in JL, then ask how their circumstances have changed in one year. My hunch is that last year they were fearful and this year less so, and their bank balance hasnt changed much - just their sentiment.

Then consider that vat is going up and people are front loading their shopping for the coming months.

No conspiracy needed! Just plain old economics.

I'm off shopping today to buy new shoes. These could last a few more months but may as well buy now. Tata!

Tinfoil-fest in this thread.

Inflation hasnt affected JL goods much. Look at the inflation report to see what stuff costs more.

Ask yourself what sort of people shop in JL, then ask how their circumstances have changed in one year. My hunch is that last year they were fearful and this year less so, and their bank balance hasnt changed much - just their sentiment.

Then consider that vat is going up and people are front loading their shopping for the coming months.

No conspiracy needed! Just plain old economics.

I'm off shopping today to buy new shoes. These could last a few more months but may as well buy now. Tata!

Completely agree last year we were worried about the general election and what the future would bring, now we know we're screwed but feel better for at least knowing iyswim.

John lewis started their online sale on Christmas Eve, I'll do what I always do, order whilst the sizes I want are in stock and then if the prices drop further take it back and buy it again.

Completely agree last year we were worried about the general election and what the future would bring, now we know we're screwed but feel better for at least knowing iyswim.

John lewis started their online sale on Christmas Eve, I'll do what I always do, order whilst the sizes I want are in stock and then if the prices drop further take it back and buy it again.

of course you do, all unemployed dole scroungers do this, specially with their SMI benfits, hubby self employed for 15 hours a week, 4 kids and a 5 bed house to support.

of course you do, all unemployed dole scroungers do this, specially with their SMI benfits, hubby self employed for 15 hours a week, 4 kids and a 5 bed house to support.

you couldnt let it lie could you, i could of won 100 chfs off myself by betting that youd be back on the case the moment she turned up again :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

you couldnt let it lie could you, i could of won 100 chfs of myself by betting that youd be back on the case the moment she turnned up again :lol::lol::lol:

I know...its entertainment...but not as we know it!!:lol:

You'll be delighted to know my husband is working and doing very well for himself thank you very much, not that we expected anything less.

I see you're all still renting ;)

Do I detect some sort of cat fight going on here?

:o

I never thought to check the urban dictionary, they have an alternative...

Crimbo

a crimbo is a woman who writes to/is sexually to/falls in love with/marries a criminal (esp. while he's still imprisoned). Similar to a gunmoll. Crimbo is a portmanteau of Criminal Bimbo.

RB has finally lost it :lol:.