House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Gloom

Isle Of Wight Used Car Dealers

Not to theme but I've heard some nasty things about a lot of used car dealers on the Isle of Wight, particularly xxxxxx of xxxxxxxx. I heard that they have sold defective vehicles with dangerous problems. Is there anyone else from the Island who can shed some light on this alleged rogue dealer? And recommend any others who might be trustworthy.

MOD EDIT - PLEASE DO NOT MAKE POSSIBLY DEFAMATORY POSTS ON HPC.

Blimey, most ten year old Isle of Shite cars struggle to have covered 20,000 miles, I cannot imagine a better place to buy a second-hand car. I was only there about three or four years ago and there were Morris Minors all over the place.

I'm no expert on this, but some do subscribe to this school of thought that low mileage vehicles from old fogeys which quite possibly have been clutched and short journeyed to death are mechanically in a worse state than reps cars.

That's certainly been my experience. My first car was a 1981 Fiesta, 12 years old when I got it and with only 23k miles on the clock. I had constant problems, almost all of them rust related. Every single MOT necessitated unwelcome, unexpected, non-optional and substantial repairs. Two cars later, I had a 1997 Mondeo, purchased in 2003 with 160k miles on the clock. From the documentation that came with it it was clear that it had been a Safeways pool car in its previous life. I had it until 2007 and 212k, during which time it needed little more than routine servicing. The only reason I got rid of it when I did was that a Polish lorry burst a tyre and smashed into the side of it while parked at the roadside near my mother's house, thereby writing it off. Otherwise I was planning to keep it for at least a further year.

When I lived. on the IOW many years ago you were advised not to buy a mainland vehicle as it would be rotted out by road salt ( It never snowed on the IOW, of course).

People on the mainland advised you never to buy an IOW car because the suspension would be clapped out owing to the poor state of the roads.

When I last visited Vectis, the local Romans always thought it was better to buy a chariot from the mainland!

The local ones won't have been driven far, and thus are poorly maintained! :huh: