House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

More Vested Interests Moaning

Writers furious at plan to axe free books scheme for children

Philip Pullman and Sir Andrew Motion round on decision to slash £13m government grant to the Booktrust charity

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/dec/26/booktrust-funding-cut-pullman-motion

Much as I agree encouraging kids to read is a good idea I think it's more important to have libraries for all than free books for a few.

Again piss poor parenting results in kids not knowing what a book is until they get to school.

Philip Pullman and Sir Andrew Motion round on decision to slash £13m government grant to the Booktrust charity

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/dec/26/booktrust-funding-cut-pullman-motion

Much as I agree encouraging kids to read is a good idea I think it's more important to have libraries for all than free books for a few.

Again piss poor parenting results in kids not knowing what a book is until they get to school.

Pullman and Motion may technically have VIs, but I think you're a bit harsh here. Can't see their motivation being raw greed. Grauniad may of course be spinning an expression of mild regret into fury here.

Those who support reading and literacy for all should be rallying firmly around Project Gutenberg, and looking to widen the uptake of its huge volumes of free books.

I've heard of this cracking government initiate to make free books available to all, they haver called it the Library system. Parents can go to "the library", register, the simply borrow books, then 2 weeks later, take them back. It also saves clutter in the home and is environmentally friendly. It's pure genius, the should have thought of it years ago.

" Writers" may be furious, because the scheme might sell more books!

In an old fashioned library, one book was lent over and over again!

A bit like P2P sharing? :blink:

Any librarians here? I'm sure the library system has to pay royalties! ;)

Anyway I think libraries are a better idea! :huh:

" Writers" may be furious, because the scheme might sell more books!

In an old fashioned library, one book was lent over and over again!

A bit like P2P sharing? :blink:

Any librarians here? I'm sure the library system has to pay royalties! ;)

Anyway I think libraries are a better idea! :huh:

Not quite! In the UK you have public lending rights. Which is a small way in which to compensate authors for the loss of sales from avalibility in libraries. You can make a max of £2000 from it per year, and to make this amount you need to be an incredibly popular author, as if you earn under a certain amount the PLR is cancelled and returned to the pot.

How can it be free books if it costs £13 million? Classic opportunity cost "no such thing as a free lunch" example. I second the points about libraries. I also add I'm getting a bit sick of people or charities or whatever who think somehow they are exempt from the spending cuts. It seems whoever shouts the loudest, breaks the most windows, knows the most famous "poet laureate" can somehow bypass the cuts everybody else has to endure. Bah humbug! :angry:

...being able to easily borrow books is in my mind far better...it makes kids respect the books more, look after them and return them so that more kids can benefit from each book .... it also stops books being stored in a bookcase in a private house so stopping others from gaining from everything that is good to learn from its' pages. ;)

Edit: bits and pieces. :)