House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Spend! Spend! Spend! Nine Days To Save Economy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/spend-spend-spend-nine-days-to-save-economy-2169467.html

Retailers are slashing prices by up to 75 per cent this weekend in a desperate attempt to claw back hundreds of millions of pounds in sales lost to the combined effects of severe weather and consumer jitters.

Big-name stores launched heavy discounts online yesterday, pinning their hopes on a 10-day frenzy of shopping before George Osborne's planned rise in VAT from 17.5 to 20 per cent takes effect on 4 January.

If the push fails, up to 1,000 firms – particularly in retail and leisure in Scotland and the north-east of England – could go bust in the New Year.

The signs did not look good last night, as new data suggested shopper numbers for December were more than 5 per cent down on last year. A poll for The Independent on Sunday shows deepening gloom among the public, many fearing they will be worse off as a result of the coalition's cuts. Only 30 per cent believe the cuts are fair, while 55 per cent (up from 51 per cent last month) fear the scale of the cuts is too severe and too fast.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the early birds to the sales tomorrow and early this week will not get the best deals - the better deals coming later as the shops get more and more desperate.

No they'll come out with the usual better than expected trading updates in the next few weeks.

edit: it's the boy who cried wolf

Edited by Ash4781

I suppose I'm like thousands of grandparents that attended Xmas day with their grandchildren and other family members being surrounded by a mountain of tat toys tat sparkly cloths along with mounds of utter garbage bought as presents all with one thing in common with each of the items came with either a made in China or made in India tab with it .

Time has come now if we are ever going to save our economy for some sort of protectionism say shops must sell at least 50% of goods with made in England tabs, if so maybe people will be more willing to start firms producing such which in turn will lead to higher employment and higher returns or our economy, If not we have no real future as a country and will be at the beck and call of the countries that peddle their rubbish to us.

Time has come now if we are ever going to save our economy for some sort of protectionism say shops must sell at least 50% of goods with made in England tabs, if so maybe people will be more willing to start firms producing such which in turn will lead to higher employment and higher returns or our economy, If not we have no real future as a country and will be at the beck and call of the countries that peddle their rubbish to us.

This may actually come sooner than later because of (1) pound devaluation (2) rising oil prices

Not sure it will be better quality than present Chindian tat though :P

This may actually come sooner than later because of (1) pound devaluation (2) rising oil prices

Not sure it will be better quality than present Chindian tat though :P

:lol:

Time has come now if we are ever going to save our economy for some sort of protectionism say shops must sell at least 50% of goods with made in England tabs,

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Then ALL UK shops will be completely empty... I mean what exactly does the UK make other than violent football hooligans (our greatest export) and chavs?

I feel this is a Mission Impossible I feel inclined not to accept.

The inlaws went to B&Q the day before xmas eve... they've been planning on buying a new front door for some time and had been waiting for it to come back in stock...

B&Q were desperately trying to flog their real christmas trees. 1p each. Seriously!

The staff were desperate to shift them!

The retail park was half shut too with various places just in darkness ... I spose considering the weather shops just cba staying open if no one is coming in.

Then ALL UK shops will be completely empty... I mean what exactly does the UK make other than violent football hooligans (our greatest export) and chavs?

Football whistles, we lead the world in them :D

We do still make a few things and could expand easily if the market was there, trouble is no one buys them because Chindia (as now called) make them for next to nothing and we have all lost our patriot blood when out shopping .

Why is spending money (probably borrowed money) on unnecessary imported consumer goods the way to save the economy?

It's revealing that so many leftists oppose taxes on wealth consumption but want them raised on wealth creation.

I won't be spending because I don't need anything, apart from a house.

And I definately won't be buying one of those in the UK. Screw that :lol:

The inlaws went to B&Q the day before xmas eve... they've been planning on buying a new front door for some time and had been waiting for it to come back in stock...

B&Q were desperately trying to flog their real christmas trees. 1p each. Seriously!

The staff were desperate to shift them!

The retail park was half shut too with various places just in darkness ... I spose considering the weather shops just cba staying open if no one is coming in.

Morrisons was dead on xmas exmas eve and this was in the afternoon :blink:

Anyone see the doors opening at Selfridges (?) on the BBC news?

I thought it was down town Beijing, wall to wall Chinese people.

Are they the only ones with money to shop these days?

Well the UK is self sufficient in football whistles.

Acme whistle, based in Birmingham , still makes the same model on the same tooling as they used on the white star liner "Titanic" on her maiden voyage.Maybe someone should give Cameron one , he can blow it while the UK sinks like that poor vessel.For old times sake like.

Just had a look at the Mens' sale in Debenhas - I need some trousers. There were loads of stuff on sale but upon closer examination it appeared that anything of quality were still full price.

As I was looking for some trousers I noticed this particularly with stuff like Rocha, Red Herring, Levis, Wranglers, etc.

I just got the impression that they were hoping to catch people out. Also, the stores were surprisingly empty IMPO.

I went to Fatface and they only had 3 types of trousers on sale - one type of very knackered looking jeans, some grey things that seemed to sit oddly on the waist and a nice blue pair of cototn trousers which looked good but the quality was such that, IMPO, they would not last long in the wash.

So I returned home empty handed.

I suppose I'm like thousands of grandparents that attended Xmas day with their grandchildren and other family members being surrounded by a mountain of tat toys tat sparkly cloths along with mounds of utter garbage bought as presents all with one thing in common with each of the items came with either a made in China or made in India tab with it .

Check out this latest Panorama.

One of Sainsburys suppliers was caught out (packaging meat as Blitish) with a new lab test that can tell from what country the meat was produced in originally!

The meat producers have huge mark ups yet still continue to cheat the ignorant public coz they just trust a label without enquiring further.

All the giant supermarket chains need splitting up county size and made to reinvest their huge profits back into each county instead of sucking/bleeding local economies dry!

That so-called "spokesman" for the supermarkets needs 'sorting out' - the lying shiteface

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ice_Cheap_Food/

Edited by erranta

Just had a look at the Mens' sale in Debenhas - I need some trousers. There were loads of stuff on sale but upon closer examination it appeared that anything of quality were still full price.

As I was looking for some trousers I noticed this particularly with stuff like Rocha, Red Herring, Levis, Wranglers, etc.

I just got the impression that they were hoping to catch people out. Also, the stores were surprisingly empty IMPO.

I went to Fatface and they only had 3 types of trousers on sale - one type of very knackered looking jeans, some grey things that seemed to sit oddly on the waist and a nice blue pair of cototn trousers which looked good but the quality was such that, IMPO, they would not last long in the wash.

So I returned home empty handed.

Have a look on here to get an idea on prices then

http://www.jeanstore.co.uk/mens-jeans.irc

But watch out for the 'weight' of the jean material on each 'style' - it's the latest scam jean manufacturers are carrying out! :rolleyes:

http://www.fool.co.u...ake-things.aspx

I used to love reading posts made on this site now it's just like reading the comments on the bottom of a daily mail website article!

This is better than 'Tards'!

If you can't acknowledge the enormous competitive disadvantage that afflicts the UK then you're missing something.