House Price Crash Forum
Executive Sadman

Bristol Palin Buys House

Guess more savvy than the Blairs property investments

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1341494/Alaska-native-Bristol-Palin-buys-home-172-000--sunny-Arizona.html

The 3,900 sq ft property is in a development called Cobblestone Farms, and was built in 2006 then purchased for $329,560.

The two-level, brown stucco house has a tile roof, two and a half baths, a three-car garage, a landscaped front and back yard, and access to a community pool.

The house was purchased in May for $137,200 by Michael and Cynthia Smith, a couple from North Dakota.

They fixed it up and put it back on the market, and the house went into foreclosure in January of this year.

The Bristol bought it this month for $172,000 in cash.

Yes, it does say 'The Bristol'

I like the mail, but i really do despair at the level of spelling, punctuation and grammar on their website.

The Bristol bought it this month for $172,000 in cash.[/b]

Around £115,000 whats so newsworthy about this? Good work there priced about right for a renovated house 300m2 +

This story should be look how stupid in the UK we are where I dont believe you could get a house that size in a medium area for less than 200,000£

Or even Tunisia where the concrete box i rented for 200 quid a month is for sale for 130,000 and half the size.

We could be reaching the turning point in USA property after the next leg down and then we will see rates go up globally = UK and other inflated markets will be toast.

Around £115,000 whats so newsworthy about this? Good work there priced about right for a renovated house 300m2 +

This story should be look how stupid in the UK we are where I dont believe you could get a house that size in a medium area for less than 200,000£

Or even Tunisia where the concrete box i rented for 200 quid a month is for sale for 130,000 and half the size.

We could be reaching the turning point in USA property after the next leg down and then we will see rates go up globally = UK and other inflated markets will be toast.

Maybe it's newsworthy because all she's done so far to earn a living is give a few speeches about the importance of abstinence (despite the fact that she got pregnant at 16) and dance rather badly on a reality show, and now she can afford to buy a house with cash at the age of 18. Rather sad commentary on how society collectively spends its money :angry:

Maybe it's newsworthy because all she's done so far to earn a living is give a few speeches about the importance of abstinence (despite the fact that she got pregnant at 16) and dance rather badly on a reality show, and now she can afford to buy a house with cash at the age of 18. Rather sad commentary on how society collectively spends its money :angry:

She sounds smart. It would have been sad if she'd levered up for the benefit of the banks.

She sounds smart. It would have been sad if she'd levered up for the benefit of the banks.

I'm not faulting her or any of the other talentless Dlist celebs who make tons of money this way - any of us would do it too if given the chance. What pi55es me off is the idiot masses who make this possible.

The house where I grew up in California recently sold for very slightly more than the price that my parents paid for it in 1984 -- and that's with record low mortgage rates. Four years ago, it was valued at 3 times what it just sold for. The US might be reaching a turning point, but that's only because prices are running out of room to fall anymore.

The house where I grew up in California recently sold for very slightly more than the price that my parents paid for it in 1984 -- and that's with record low mortgage rates. Four years ago, it was valued at 3 times what it just sold for. The US might be reaching a turning point, but that's only because prices are running out of room to fall anymore.

Here in Britain building costs are usually close to £100/square foot - plot not included. I guess building costs in the USA are lower than that, on average, but how low can it be? The house in the OP's news article is said to be over 3,000sq.ft, and sold for less than US$180k. That is only some US$60/sq.ft, or around £40. And that does not include the plot.

Am I right in guestimating that houses are now being sold there below building cost? Usually this happens only in areas with serious problems. Not in decent locations.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

The house where I grew up in California recently sold for (...)

What was the sold price/sq.ft? I'm mainly curious to know if prices drop to below building costs.

Was it a good location back then? And is the area still good now?

Cheers,