House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IWantItNow

Extinct Dog Kills Woman

Is this a case of, play with nature you get burnt?

Shocking story.

I despair every time I see a chav with a dog he clearly can't handle. What are your thoughts on "dangerous" dogs?

BBC Story

"He's never done that before" they always say. No sh1t!

Is this a case of, play with nature you get burnt?

Shocking story.

I despair every time I see a chav with a dog he clearly can't handle. What are your thoughts on "dangerous" dogs?

BBC Story

Don't think this dog breed was considered to be dangerous (they were bred as draft animals apparently), but anything that size needs an owner that knows what he's doing.

If a dog hasn't been reared to know that it's below all humans in the pack hierarchy, then it will attack anybody it see's as a threat/challenge.

This goes for the old-dearies with their snappy poodles as well as the shell-suit brigade and their staffies.

Don't think this dog breed was considered to be dangerous (they were bred as draft animals apparently), but anything that size needs an owner that knows what he's doing.

If a dog hasn't been reared to know that it's below all humans in the pack hierarchy, then it will attack anybody it see's as a threat/challenge.

This goes for the old-dearies with their snappy poodles as well as the shell-suit brigade and their staffies.

There lies the problem. Dogs are generally being reared to be aggressive to anyone but their owner. There must be a connection between that attitude and the statistic that dog to human attacks are on the increase. Where will this end? Who knows.

I think the guy on the news says that that breed is aggressive to humans outside of its "family", which ties in what what Papa Serf is saying.

There lies the problem. Dogs are generally being reared to be aggressive to anyone but their owner. There must be a connection between that attitude and the statistic that dog to human attacks are on the increase. Where will this end? Who knows.

I think the guy on the news says that that breed is aggressive to humans outside of its "family", which ties in what what Papa Serf is saying.

Although I'm not an expert, I would think that most of the larger dogs can be aggressive with strangers. I've looked after GSD's, labs and huskies, and all can be aggressive if you allow/teach them to be.

The trend towards dogs that are renowned for aggressive behaviour, coupled with the fact that any numpty with a few quid can buy himself a very effective legal weapon, is very worrying.

The question is, how do we combat this? The dangerous dog act isn't worth the paper it's printed on, as the muppets who are buying these prohibited dogs either can't read, or don't care. In fact, it's glamorised ownership of these breeds!

P.S. Just read there was a kid upstairs when the attack took place, it get's worse!

This is the whole nature vs nurture debate. I've owned ex police dogs ex military dogs and these days I have a collie. I used to help train working dogs so I've seen all manner of problem dogs.

All dogs have the potential to bite or even kill but some breeds are obviously more capable than others due to their size and strength.

It's unfair to label a breed dangerous, As with the right up bringing any breed can be a soft and living pet.

All a dog needs to become balanced is excercise, love and leadership. A loyal balanced dog will never turn on it's pack regardless of breed.

I think there should have been a "dangerous dog owner's act"! :huh:

This is the whole nature vs nurture debate. I've owned ex police dogs ex military dogs and these days I have a collie. I used to help train working dogs so I've seen all manner of problem dogs.

All dogs have the potential to bite or even kill but some breeds are obviously more capable than others due to their size and strength.

It's unfair to label a breed dangerous, As with the right up bringing any breed can be a soft and living pet.

All a dog needs to become balanced is excercise, love and leadership. A loyal balanced dog will never turn on it's pack regardless of breed.

Didnt your dog bit some baliff who barged his way into your house a few years back? What happened - outcome?

Dogs are not born dangerous they are raised that way.

We had Dobermans as kids and they were good as gold. My mum used to childmind and they were always good with kids. When out at the park she would watch the kids like a hawk and not let other dogs come too close. She would even get in the way of the kids if she felt they were wandering off too far.

I had my own and he was the same, protective of and very gentle around kids. Great with adults invited into the house and great with anyone he met out walking. He would know when to protect wifey and the house. My daughter used to sit on his back as a toddler and try to ride him like a pony. He never minded her poking him in the eyes or trying to shove toys in his mouth, the most he ever did was walk off for some peace.

I have also come across attack dogs and wouldnt even dream of trying to touch one. Even the handlers can be weary of them.

It all depends on how they are raised.

Christ where have all these worms come from?

Klingon food not good enough? :huh:

I believe so, yes.

Pretty much richyc! It's always said that dogs look like their owners! I think they behave like them!

They learn by example! :huh:

Agree 100%. Exercise should be a legal requirement and leadship is essential, the owner needs to be the Alpha dog or you'll get problems.

I got an early Christmas present of a new tin-opener.

Unfortunately you are thinking like me, and I got that one! ;)

Agree 100%. Exercise should be a legal requirement and leadship is essential, the owner needs to be the Alpha dog or you'll get problems.

Are we talking about dogs here?

Didnt your dog bit some baliff who barged his way into your house a few years back? What happened - outcome?

nothing happened to the dog, but he was just doing his job. The same dog lived with my children and never showed an ounce of aggression to my children or anyone elses.

I see far too many people with dogs that they have no control. They don't even groom their dog so bonding is virtually impossible.

I see far too many people with dogs that they have no control. They don't even groom their dog so bonding is virtually impossible.

True. I really like dogs, but they need a lot, absolutely hours, of attention and as - can't remember who said it - dogs are like children, except that they never grow up.

The pedigree breeders also have a lot to answer for - unhealthy inbreeding to enhance certain cosmetic features. You can't train dogs with genetic damage. What you get when buying a pedigree dog is often pot luck.

I had a couple of Airedales. The police recruited Airedales at one time in the 1930s but gave them up as a bad idea. Fortunately mine were both clowns, but unpredicatable Airedales feature in James Thurber's amusing accounts - particularly of Muggs, 'The Dog That Bit People'.

Muggs was always sorry, Mother said, when he bit someone, but we could never understand how she figured this out. He didn't act sorry.

:)

What are your thoughts on "dangerous" dogs?

That it's time to bring back dog licences, and make people take a test before they're granted one. The more potentially dangerous the type of dog someone proposes to own, the more rigorous the testing required for a licence is. In other words, apply the same principle as with driving licences: you can't drive a manual car if you learnt on an automatic, you can't drive a bus unless you take a separate test. etc. etc. Introduce a bogstandard dog licence for people who want poodles, schitzus (sp?) etc., but a pretty tough exam and practical handling test if you want a rottweiler or a pitbull.

That it's time to bring back dog licences, and make people take a test before they're granted one. The more potentially dangerous the type of dog someone proposes to own, the more rigorous the testing required for a licence is. In other words, apply the same principle as with driving licences: you can't drive a manual car if you learnt on an automatic, you can't drive a bus unless you take a separate test. etc. etc. Introduce a bogstandard dog licence for people who want poodles, schitzus (sp?) etc., but a pretty tough exam and practical handling test if you want a rottweiler or a pitbull.

poodles can be pretty vicious - they may look fluffy but they were bred to hunt.

Agree that they should reintroduce the license. It should be cheap - just enough to cover admin rather than revenue raising, but as you say should evaluate the owner.

As usual in this situation the dog was owned by low-life scum. He was growing cannabis and has now been arrested. Presumably the lodger who was eaten was aware of this.

Neighbour previously complained to peelers but they were too thick and lazy to do anything, as usual.

bbc news