House Price Crash Forum

Advise For Millionaires

homerenter

HOLA441

Advise for millionaires ... money psychologist Christine Thompson-Wells says "if I came into a £1m next week, I would go out and buy four £120,000 one-bedroom flats or properties in London or somewhere like Hertfordshire or Berkshire"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12058218

She runs workshops for £440 where you can get more quality advice like that...

http://www.christinethompsonwells.com

--

HOLA442
HOLA443
"For what it's worth if I was in the UK and came into a £1m next week, I would go out and buy four £120,000 one-bedroom flats or properties in London or somewhere like Hertfordshire or Berkshire.

"That could bring in up to about £4,500 in rent a month. Whether that's something you could retire on is up to you," she says.

I make that just over 11% yield :rolleyes:.

HOLA444

But she's already been bankrupt so maybe not the best person to give financial advice.

http://www.tvtalents...m/prods/97.html

--

She claims 4 x £120k returns 4500k/month, or 11%/year.

Actual return on my 1 bed flat in London < 3%/year.

Inflation >3%/year.

This time next year Rodney.

EDIT: Scooped!

Edited by (Blizzard)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

'money psychologist' ??

Does that mean she has a Financial Services degree? Professional qualification to give financial advice? Is regulated by the FSA to sell financial advice? Has any financial qualifications at all outside of floristry?

Where on earth did the BBC get someone like this from to drop into one of their 'get into buy to let' articles?

Is she a personal contact of the article author? Has he/she piad £400 for one of her course?

Is their no editorial control whatsoever at the BBC?

BBC Radio seem to like her - alot!

Media CV - interviews / live links

BBC Radio Stoke

BBC 3 Counties Radio

BBC Radio Berks

BBC Radio Cumbria BBC Andover Sound BBC Radio ManchesterBBC Radio 5 Live - live interview

edit: Some priceless gems in this Mirror advis(sic)e article

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/money/2009/04/28/twenty-one-ways-to-earn-extra-cash-115875-21313658/

Sell your old cds and or old mobile phone - There's advis(sic)e worth paying for!

Edited by Red Karma

HOLA448

'money psychologist' ??

How dare you doubt her? She is also a trained florist!

Christine grew up in London, where on leaving school, trained as a florist. She moved to Australia in the late 60's. For most of her life, she lived in the capital, Canberra. She has owned and run florist businesses, established a vocational school, the Floral Art Guild and during her time as a florist, became the nominated florist to the Prime Minister and his wife at the Prime Minister's Lodge, Canberra. While her children were small she went to university where she majored in psychology. It was the experience of a recession, while in her last business, that brought her back to the UK; the experience completely changed her life and career. She loves her work as an author, mother, teacher, wife and business woman but the thing she most enjoys is spending quality time with the family and in her quiet time, painting large pictures of flowers.

http://www.christinethompsonwells.com/

Cracking!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Brilliant. The BBC must find it difficult finding a genuine financial adviser or qualified paychologist. Never mind, a failed florist will do.

Reminds me of when i was sitting outside a Surrey pub one sunny afternoon last year. Some **** drove up in a silver Smart car with 'Lifestyle Consultant' and a website URL plastered on the side of the car. Out he got with a blonde bimbo in tow (or maybe she was the 'consultant'). Everyone in the pub garden p***ed themselves laughing so they flounced back to the Smart car and drove off.

Edit: Correction, she has a teaching degree and majored in psychology. So she is a psychologist, well qualified to provide advice on investing in property.

One of her pearls of wisdom:

"Her books are an enlightening approach to Money Psychology, '...without psychology, money would not work at all...' she says."

*facepalms*

Edited by happy_renting

HOLA4413

But she's already been bankrupt so maybe not the best person to give financial advice.

http://www.tvtalentsupermarket.com/prods/97.html

--

That's hilarious.

The day I start taking financial advice from someone who couldn't manage their own affairs, is the day I deserve to be shot.

What next, the Robert Maxwell school for swimming?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Is it worth complaining? Who would you complain to? Think someone here had some success doing similar recently. Sounds like this is grossly misleading 'advice' - does anyone have any hard facts re yields in the S.E. to send with the complaint which counter her claims?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

If I had a million, I'd only put 50% into real-estate, too. I'd buy 50 luxury 4-bed penthouses in Mayfair for £10,000 each.

It's a buyer's market, innit?

I dont think you can have more than 4 houses in Mayfair....youd need to buy a hotel.