House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Spart

Google Wishes You A Merry Christless

Today's Google front page features its usual topically relevant graphics, this time alluding as you might expect to Christmas.

Shame that of the 17 Christmas-themed images your mouse can rollover, not one featues a reference to Christ. It's not just Google, most other corporations are guilty of the same omission in their Christmas references.

Here on HPC many of us have come to suspect that the World is being run by a small elite exploiting the rest of us for their own benefit, a small elite for whom Christ himself, rather than the hedonism and consumption associated with comtemporary Christmas, could not be further from their minds.

You won't be surprised to learn I find this depressing, but you might be surprised to learn that, as an atheist myself, I find Christ's omission from contemporary Christmas celebrations really quite depressing.

To me Christ was a moral and social philosopher. Nevermind that he muddled his thinking with references to the supernatural, that's not sufficient reason to brush aside his philosophy enitirely. Certainly, there can be no doubting his underlying good intentions to foster peace and harmony at a time of brutal oppression, inequality and injustice.

If Christ is to be celebrated then perhaps an image here or there wouldn't go amiss to remind people of the reason for all the revelry; afterall this is Christianity, not Islam. You have to wonder why Christ is so conspicuously absent from Christmas these days.

But then, there have been many other philosophers that have made similar significant contributions to improving human civilisation and we don't celebrate them anything like as conspicuously. When was the last time you wished someone Merry Cantmas, received an Archimedesmas Card or gave presents on Descartesmas Day?

It is lamentable that the memory of one of history's most noted figures has been so perverted as to serve perfectly the very people and purposes he stood against and that he has been all but erased from the very festivities meant to commemorate him. What is even sadder is that other noted figures, many of whose teachings comtemporary society would find more palatable than Christ's, remain out of the spotlight, in the darkness, well away from the view of consumer society.

Rarely has society needed to think clearly more so than now. Rarely has been it distracted from doing so, so determinedly.

Wish your kith and kin a Merry Christmas, hug them, embrace them, wish them good health and happiness and raise a toast to them, I know I will mine.

However, if you haven't yet bought that last minute Christmas present then perhaps visit your local bookshop (weather permitting) and buy an introductory guide to Philosophy. Who knows, it may encourage the receipient to think more for themselves instead of accepting the received wisdom of a failed generation. Who knows where that might lead?

Enjoy the break.

PS I wonder how many people will remember to sing Happy Birthday tomorrow?

Today's Google front page features its usual topically relevant graphics, this time alluding as you might expect to Christmas.

Shame that of the 17 Christmas-themed images your mouse can rollover, not one featues a reference to Christ. It's not just Google, most other corporations are guilty of the same omission in their Christmas references.

Here on HPC many of us have come to suspect that the World is being run by a small elite exploiting the rest of us for their own benefit, a small elite for whom Christ himself, rather than the hedonism and consumption associated with comtemporary Christmas, could not be further from their minds.

You won't be surprised to learn I find this depressing, but you might be surprised to learn that, as an atheist myself, I find Christ's omission from contemporary Christmas celebrations really quite depressing.

To me Christ was a moral and social philosopher. Nevermind that he muddled his thinking with references to the supernatural, that's not sufficient reason to brush aside his philosophy enitirely. Certainly, there can be no doubting his underlying good intentions to foster peace and harmony at a time of brutal oppression, inequality and injustice.

If Christ is to be celebrated then perhaps an image here or there wouldn't go amiss to remind people of the reason for all the revelry; afterall this is Christianity, not Islam. You have to wonder why Christ is so conspicuously absent from Christmas these days.

But then, there have been many other philosophers that have made similar significant contributions to improving human civilisation and we don't celebrate them anything like as conspicuously. When was the last time you wished someone Merry Cantmas, received an Archimedesmas Card or gave presents on Descartesmas Day?

It is lamentable that the memory of one of history's most noted figures has been so perverted as to serve perfectly the very people and purposes he stood against and that he has been all but erased from the very festivities meant to commemorate him. What is even sadder is that other noted figures, many of whose teachings comtemporary society would find more palatable than Christ's, remain out of the spotlight, in the darkness, well away from the view of consumer society.

Rarely has society needed to think clearly more so than now. Rarely has been it distracted from doing so, so determinedly.

Wish your kith and kin a Merry Christmas, hug them, embrace them, wish them good health and happiness and raise a toast to them, I know I will mine.

However, if you haven't yet bought that last minute Christmas present then perhaps visit your local bookshop (weather permitting) and buy an introductory guide to Philosophy. Who knows, it may encourage the receipient to think more for themselves instead of accepting the received wisdom of a failed generation. Who knows where that might lead?

Enjoy the break.

Maybe Christ didn't have any muddled thinking - I think a lot of people through the ages have had muddled thinking about him though!

Maybe Christ didn't have any muddled thinking - I think a lot of people through the ages have had muddled thinking about him though!

For sure, down the millenia we have got further and further away from the truth about Christ's life (through recent acheological findings are of interest). You surely can't however deny that Christ made reference to the supernatural?

Maybe Jesus Christ was just a clever for the time manipulating con artist which if true is the longest running most widespread hoax in the history of the human race.

And people wonder why aliens havent got in touch?

Why would they when they can see humans worshipping something fictional with no proof what so ever.

Its blind (to reallity) faith.

Takes one to know one eh, tr1ck5t3r?

:P

Christmas is all about shifting as much product as possible and as such, nobody wants to exclude non-Christians from the spend-fest.

I do the odd bit of graphic design and someone sent me information about a Christmas card competition for a fairly large company. I was all set to have a go so I read the rules. No religious images. No mention of the word "Christmas" (don't want to offend any non-Christians) and the final nail in the coffin for me... no reliance on seasonal images (like snow), because we have to remember that it's not winter everywhere.

Can't be arsed with this kind of crap, and I was only doing it as a bit of fun so I made a wreath for the front door instead.

Enjoy the break.

You are right, Christ is being phased out and here is a possible reason why.

At the moment we are entering the Age of Aquarius and exiting from the age of Pisces in the procession of the equinoxes, which is referred to as the great year. Each procession takes roughly 2100 years. (Bear with me)

If we went back through the equinoxes we would next arrive at Aries, Taurus and then Gemini.

Gemini - (Also known as the twins) is the symbol for Adam and Eve, which is why Creationists believe Man is only 6000 years old.

Taurus - Moses and the Golden Calf is an allegory for the end of the age of Taurus.

Aries - The ram’s horn is the symbol in Jewish tradition and why we have lambs blood in the Passover.

Pisces- The fish is our present time and the time of Christianity.

The age of Pisces is ending and with it the age of Christ, hence he is being phased out ready for the new great age.

Enjoy the break.

Happy Holidays!

At the moment we are entering the Age of Aquarius and exiting from the age of Pisces in the procession of the equinoxes, which is referred to as the great year. Each procession takes roughly 2100 years. (Bear with me)

If we went back through the equinoxes we would next arrive at Aries, Taurus and then Gemini.

Gemini - (Also known as the twins) is the symbol for Adam and Eve, which is why Creationists believe Man is only 6000 years old.

Taurus - Moses and the Golden Calf is an allegory for the end of the age of Taurus.

Aries - The ram’s horn is the symbol in Jewish tradition and why we have lambs blood in the Passover.

The age of Pisces is ending and with it the age of Christ, hence he is being phased out ready for the new great age.

You must be one of that small elite.

At the moment we are entering the Age of Aquarius

The water bearer..?

I don't think I could bear it.. we'd have 1200 years of "I told you so" from the global warming fraternity :ph34r:

You might want to think about upping the dose.

You must be one of that small elite.

It goes back further than that.

Before Gemini, it was cancer, which in Egyptian times was depicted as a scarab beetle, which is why there are so many Scarab Hieroglyphs.

And before Cancer it was Leo and Virgo, which is the Sphinx, the head of Virgo (the virgin) and the body of a Lion.

It’s all up there.

Enjoy the break.

An excellent post and pretty much in line with my own views. The only bit I don't agree with is: 'he muddled his thinking with references to the supernatural'. Our Lord was a man of his time and, therefore, spoke in the language of his time, which was pre-scientific and highly supernatural. It is only in retrospect that it appears 'muddled' because we live in a post-Englightenment age.

The removal of Christ from Christmas is probably mainly just tedious PC and the desire to be 'inclusive' and not to 'offend' anyone (lest they don't buy your products) but I think there is a little more to it than that. In Protestantism, the religious strand underpinning most of western capitalism, Christmas is a slightly ambiguous event because of its strong pagan roots. It was, of course, banned during the Puritan era. In the US also don't forget the importance of Jews in the commercial and entertainment world, which I suspect is another reason why the American Christmas tends to be a bit Christ-less.

One thing that puzzles me however is why Easter, which is anyway the more important festival theologically, has never been commercialised to the same extent as Christmas. If it could be done, the sheeple would keep the tills ringing almost all year round. Are there any theories as to why the Victorians didn't do this?

Which bit do you disagree with and why?

Some might say it is very loose/circumstancial evidence.. but then that probably gives it better grounding than any other beliefs of pre-determination.

Personally I think it's quite a nice ideology.. I like the idea that the universe might have a natural rhythm in time with the tides and the seasons :)

Some might say it is very loose/circumstancial evidence.. but then that probably gives it better grounding than any other beliefs of pre-determination.

Personally I think it's quite a nice ideology.. I like the idea that the universe might have a natural rhythm in time with the tides and the seasons :)

It isn't really a belief, just an observation.

The Zodiac sign of the times seems to dictate, or at least have bearing on the Symbology, allegories, cultures, religions etc of that time and can be seen quite clearly.

It also gives a plausible answer to the OP's enquiry as to why Christ seems to be being Phased out.

Simples they cant make their mind up which day he "rose from the dead" so its a planning and logistical nightmare trying to plan any sort of comercial exploitation of any magnitude which even the Victorians recognised and thus didnt waste their energies on.

Thanks - I hadn't thought of that!

It's worth remembering also that by the reign of William IV, Christmas had all but died out in the UK. It was observed at about the same level as our modern Easter if not less so - Christmas was a working day for most people. It was mainly brought back by early Victorian romanticism and ritualism (which also produced Anglo-Catholicism and neo-Gothic architecture) because of a sense that the old traditions (both pagan and Christian) were dying under industrialisation. Pretty soon the commercial possibilities of the festival became evident. So the idea that there has always been a traditional, Christ-centred Christmas is a bit dubious anyway.

It also gives a plausible answer to the OP's enquiry as to why Christ seems to be being Phased out.

I'm not sure the OP's right..

Looking at the google page most of the boxes look like advent calandar windows.. wise men, shepherds etc.

According to legend, Christ wasn't born until the 25th.. So I would expect, in keeping with tradition, he will appear on the google page at midnight.

I stand to be corrected though.. :ph34r:

Ahem, you've Marxified him.

Unfortunate typo there - Jeremy Hunt would smile ;)

The bigger point is: the clue's in the "-mas", referring back to the Lord's Supper.

Maybe Jesus Christ was just a clever for the time manipulating con artist which if true is the longest running most widespread hoax in the history of the human race.

And people wonder why aliens havent got in touch?

Why would they when they can see humans worshipping something fictional with no proof what so ever.

Its blind (to reallity) faith.

Hidden message there :P

We made sure we listened to the Pope's thought for the day on r4 today.

Not for any religious reason - just out of curiosity.

However in the run up to it they did discuss there are only 4M catholics in the UK. (Not sure how many polish catholics are counted in that though)

Whilst the rest of us tend to describe ourselves at Christians we don't go to church anymore.

Do you think we'd be better off in the UK if more people went to church?

At the moment lots of people get angry about the number of mosques being opened, but never up in arms about the number of churches being shut.

Surely, it's just to avoid upsetting Muslims and any other loons who take religious imagery with any degree of seriousness?

They dont seem to care too much about upsetting them when we go to their countries and murder a few thousand of them for no apparent reason.

Why on earth would they care about displaying a few pictures of Jesus?

Except it's not his birthday, is it? I love Christmas - everything about it. But while I am happy to call it Christmas and sing the carols and love the story of the Nativity, what I am actually celebrating is a mashup of Winter festivals, including most notably, Yule.

Let us not forget that those clever Christians created the festival of Christmas to occur at the same time as the Yule celebrations to try to convert Pagans to Christianity. And I love that. I love the fact that it's about Jesus, but it's also about the Solstice, the Feast, the Winter imagery and the St Nicholas tradition. I know we generically call it Christmas, but I'm afraid that has become an all-faith description for the Festival, not a specific reference to Christ.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

Andy

As an agnosticish atheist, I am happy to celebrate the sentiments of Christmas, irrespective of the religious angle.

I also like the American/ Canadian tradition of Thanksgiving. It can be uplifting to think about your blessings.

Christmas is all about shifting as much product as possible and as such, nobody wants to exclude non-Christians from the spend-fest.

I do the odd bit of graphic design and someone sent me information about a Christmas card competition for a fairly large company. I was all set to have a go so I read the rules. No religious images. No mention of the word "Christmas" (don't want to offend any non-Christians) and the final nail in the coffin for me... no reliance on seasonal images (like snow), because we have to remember that it's not winter everywhere.

Can't be arsed with this kind of crap, and I was only doing it as a bit of fun so I made a wreath for the front door instead.

I have never understood why these pr1cks think the term Christmas or Christ would offend Muslims (at least ones who understand their religion)

Jesus (Isu) is the 2nd most important prophet in Islam and like Christians they view him as the Messiah. Where the two religions differ is that the traditional Christian view is that Jesus was physically the son of god whereas Muslims view him as a mortal man on instruction from god.