House Price Crash Forum
Doctor Gloom

Hawthorn Meadows East Cowes Isle Of Wight

Why on earth does the Isle of Wight get dumped with numerous, extensive, expensive but crap 'Barratts' developments? Poor building control? Easy to get planning permission? I don't really know.

Today I decided that sitting in watching equally crap Christmas movies was indeed getting on my t*ts, so I decided to go out with my camera and get whatever the best of East Cowes could throw up.

First stop Barratts new(ish) Hawthorn Meadows. I don't know what this very brown belt piece of land has got to do with 'Hawthorns' or 'Meadows' as it was widely regarded as one of the worst places to build as many older East Cowes residents have told me (squishy semi marshland).

Trees-outside.jpg

Not the best time of year to show you this, but the trees have been planted 5 deep. I think the new ones in the plastic have died anyway, but did you want any light in those front rooms? Notice the start of the bank on the left this houses the foundation dirt. There's one lazy way to get rid of it, and your Medina Valley view!

Bank.jpg

A closer view of this weird grass bank, purposely placed to obstruct ones view.

Rubbish-small.jpg

A stroll through an alley, not much care from the residents here. One up from used condoms I suppose.

IMG_0132.jpg

A nice big crack, has been like this for some time. Perfect time of year to get some water into it and watch it freeze making that crack even bigger.

Crack-small.jpg

He likes good german engineering, but rubbish british building control.

Generally the houses are reasonably sound. As usual the typical Barratts finishing isn't. I honestly had a horrible feeling walking about, I think many residents seems intent of staring out the windows. Not at me but just in general. I have come to the conclusion that only odd bods could move to there anyway. I'd certainly wonder what I had done if I did.

If you have £250,000 to put down a drain this is your perfect opportunity.

I'm looking to buy just across the Solent in the Lymington area, I almost wish there were a few Barratt developments there to encourage overall prices down!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-27149132.html

I've looked at this new build a couple of times, but it's the only one remaining unsold on the development so the builders don't seem in any hurry to negotiate, plus it's got a tiny overlooked garden and the parking is severely restricted because of the development layout.

Why on earth does the Isle of Wight get dumped with numerous, extensive, expensive but crap 'Barratts' developments? Poor building control? Easy to get planning permission? I don't really know.

Today I decided that sitting in watching equally crap Christmas movies was indeed getting on my t*ts, so I decided to go out with my camera and get whatever the best of East Cowes could throw up.

First stop Barratts new(ish) Hawthorn Meadows. I don't know what this very brown belt piece of land has got to do with 'Hawthorns' or 'Meadows' as it was widely regarded as one of the worst places to build as many older East Cowes residents have told me (squishy semi marshland).

IMG_0132.jpg

A nice big crack, has been like this for some time. Perfect time of year to get some water into it and watch it freeze making that crack even bigger.

Generally the houses are reasonably sound. As usual the typical Barratts finishing isn't. I honestly had a horrible feeling walking about, I think many residents seems intent of staring out the windows. Not at me but just in general. I have come to the conclusion that only odd bods could move to there anyway. I'd certainly wonder what I had done if I did.

If you have £250,000 to put down a drain this is your perfect opportunity.

I remember after the 80s bubble viewing an unfinished house. It had been abandoned as they'd built it using concrete blocks apparently in contravention of the building regs at the time which only allowed them to be used in a single storey house.

The buyer would have had to demolish it or remove the roof and top half to make it safe. Now it seems to be OK to use them....

It was otherwise a nice large detached house in Northumberland with 1/2 acre. £20,000. :D

How to build a seaside house - build the same crap as an inland/mainland one, except you can get away with even worse blockwork, smear it with a bit of render, paint it a bright colour and whack on another £50k for good measure.

Had a conversation with a eurpean building merchant - render beads were used for a while, but this reseller stopped supplying as the local builders didn't like the way the weathered. Those Cowes ones look like plastic, ok won't rust but look naff, especially when exposed. :lol:

Edited by OnlyMe