House Price Crash Forum

Bbc - Christmas Jobs Misery For Public Sector Workers

I work for West Sussex County Council (no, I'm not raking it in)... on the wall outside head office this morning someone had left a xmas message to the councillors...

It coincides nicely with the BBC story about job cuts being announced

happy christmas.JPG

post-21545-0-63989400-1293108128_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

I work for West Sussex County Council (no, I'm not raking it in)... on the wall outside head office this morning someone had left a xmas message to the councillors...

I saw this in action 9 months ago in the private sector with 'At Risk' letters being sent out.

This was the way the company managed to renegotiate with the chosen "'lucky' employees offering them new jobs/terms etc., then if they did not accept they were deemed to have resigned and the company can fall back on the "At Risk" people in the 11th hour. One of the chosen ones was not happy with the new deal and asked a relative who was a barrister to investigate constructive dismissal - the conclusion was that it was, but in this climate of no jobs, the courts would look on it as you are lucky enough to have a well paid job and get back to work and he was strongly recommended not to waste money/time pursuing this.

So the 'At Risk' had to stay, so not to lose any redundancy package and were left in limbo for 3 months through the process, only being told of the final decision a day or so before.

Of course the talented people just upped and left (even with the offer of jobs), leaving behind a demoralised work force with a significant number who know they were not really wanted and were only kept on because their colleagues walked.

Is that a banksy?

My other half is losing her NHS job next year, along with the rest of her department. Bloody good job her manager is going she is utterly useless and justifies everyone on this sites views towards many public sector workers.

Who cares?

People in the private sector have been battered by the recession for 3 whole years.

Life isn't fair, never was, never will be.... an empty government wallet is an empty government wallet.

Happy Christmas... welcome to the great recession.

define this

You mean you want to know my salary? If I got a £15k pay rise... I still wouldn't be in the 40% tax bracket. I joined the council about 5 years ago, and have seen ongoing job cuts all through that time. There have always been about 4 times too many staff, and even now you could cut 50% of admin and managers and not effect front line services.

Sun n sea - who cares about what? That people are losing jobs? Whether it's fair or not... it's still unpleasant for those it effects.

Edited by Guest

Sun n sea - who cares about what? That people are losing jobs? Whether it's fair or not... it's still unpleasant for those it effects.

It is, but then we in the private sector have been losing our jobs for the last two or three years now, and if we aren't paying PAYE and NI then there is no money to pay the wages of those in the public sector.

I work as a civil servant and like those before me I don't earn megga bucks. I totally agree that there is so much crap in the service it is unreal but if you really wanna make a difference you have to start with the politicians. We can never be as efficient as a normal business. Politics is so short term we just have to do what ever we are asked. You can tell people until your blue in the face but if it doesn't suit what the boss wants it doesn't matter.

i personally have been trying to sort out an issue for 9mnths just so we save thousands and its a gift that keeps on saving money but my senior boss is an idiot and doesn't understand so we are told to just send off the info and it doesn't matter what problems it causes for the other guys down the line (vague I know but it is on purpose).

That said don't be fooled into thinking that all people in the service don't care.Most do and really want to save as much money as possible but we are often fobbed of with the Human rights act and it isn't policy!!!!

I saw this in action 9 months ago in the private sector with 'At Risk' letters being sent out.

Of course the talented people just upped and left (even with the offer of jobs), leaving behind a demoralised work force with a significant number who know they were not really wanted and were only kept on because their colleagues walked.

This is terrible for the public sector workers; they don't have the luxury of being talented. :D

They need to find real jobs. Bunch of parasites. :o

Edited by Xurbia

This is terrible for the public sector workers; they don't have the luxury of being talented. :D

They need to find real jobs. Bunch of parasites. :o

Hang on..... there are no real jobs left because the MPs (more public sector thieves) have given all the real jobs away.

I work as a civil servant and like those before me I don't earn megga bucks. I totally agree that there is so much crap in the service it is unreal but if you really wanna make a difference you have to start with the politicians. We can never be as efficient as a normal business. Politics is so short term we just have to do what ever we are asked. You can tell people until your blue in the face but if it doesn't suit what the boss wants it doesn't matter.

i personally have been trying to sort out an issue for 9mnths just so we save thousands and its a gift that keeps on saving money but my senior boss is an idiot and doesn't understand so we are told to just send off the info and it doesn't matter what problems it causes for the other guys down the line (vague I know but it is on purpose).

That said don't be fooled into thinking that all people in the service don't care.Most do and really want to save as much money as possible but we are often fobbed of with the Human rights act and it isn't policy!!!!

I agree that we need to hang all politicians. They are pure arrogant scum.

If im right the idea is that the public sector workers get jobs in the private sector but speaking through experience I says there isnt much hope at all. Even if there are jobs, my company at least, prefers to promote within as at least you know what you are getting in terms of personality, ability etc etc.

Speaking from a recent personal experience I work in the private secor for a 3rd party supplier on a contract for a huge world wide customer. I was told out of the blue that my job was at risk . Thankfully though the customer announced in they were taking all the business in house so I kept my job.

The reasons they did this apart from my current company acting like cowboys was pure cost saving. Instant saving on the management fee and seeing that everything is invoiced back to the customer they pay the wages anyway so no extra cost there.

basically what Im saying is the private sector is saving where ever they can, a two man job is now a one man job, I havent seen any external recruitment for 3 years except the odd exceptional self employed contractor and they probably recieve 1/2 the salaray when employed FT as Toupe wont apply.

Save , save, save is the message Im affraid.

Janice Davis, social services administration manager, Nottinghamshire County Council:

"I received an email about being at risk of redundancy in October. I should find out where I stand in January.

"I'm fearful. At 56, I don't know where I would stand, looking at the current job climate and my age. If I was younger I might not be so fearful, but I have about 11 years left before retiring.

"It's a very unsettling time. If I lost my job my husband and I would have to consider selling the house and downsizing.

"I manage 10 people. Everybody in my team got the email, as well as people who work alongside me and above me.

"There are 450 administrative workers and 150 jobs will go. We look after a team of more than 1,000 social workers so that they can go out and look after children. Without us they would spend more time in the office doing paperwork."

I agree that we need to hang all politicians. They are pure arrogant scum.

No you are completely wrong about this, utterly and completely wrong....

I mean hanging is far too quick, how about a bit of hung drawn and quartered or head in a vice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_-FhoPJmBg

Or this

Edited by ken_ichikawa

Janice Davis, social services administration manager, Nottinghamshire County Council:

"I received an email about being at risk of redundancy in October. I should find out where I stand in January.

"I'm fearful. At 56, I don't know where I would stand, looking at the current job climate and my age. If I was younger I might not be so fearful, but I have about 11 years left before retiring.

"It's a very unsettling time. If I lost my job my husband and I would have to consider selling the house and downsizing.

"I manage 10 people. Everybody in my team got the email, as well as people who work alongside me and above me.

"There are 450 administrative workers and 150 jobs will go. We look after a team of more than 1,000 social workers so that they can go out and look after children. Without us they would spend more time in the office doing paperwork."

450 admin workers

Just over 2 social workers per admin person.

10 strong team (assuming all teams the same size) so around 40 managers, 400 drones and maybe 10 more senior managers.

It beggers belief. How do these people fill their days?

I love the way she says it will affect the children - OMG, not the children! Please, take all my money, just don't let it affect the children!

Social workers don't just look after kids, they look after all age ranges.. but you can bet it's the kids that are brought forward with the sword of Damocles over their heads.

Social workers don't just look after kids, they look after all age ranges.. but you can bet it's the kids that are brought forward with the sword of Damocles over their heads.

Except you forget one hugely important thing, that social workers don't want abuse/misery etc to go away. They want MORE of it.

If they resolved all of the social problems they'd be fired, it is exactly the same idea as to why Gillette does not make infinity razors which last forever. They could easily do so with obsidian blades. But doing so would put them out of business.

Same with Charities against child abuse or cancer, if anything they want MORE child abuse and cancer so they can keep their jobs.

Except you forget one hugely important thing, that social workers don't want abuse/misery etc to go away. They want MORE of it.

If they resolved all of the social problems they'd be fired, it is exactly the same idea as to why Gillette does not make infinity razors which last forever. They could easily do so with obsidian blades. But doing so would put them out of business.

Same with Charities against child abuse or cancer, if anything they want MORE child abuse and cancer so they can keep their jobs.

Bit harsh. Social workers I've know seem genuinely caring though you undoubtedly get Clair in the Community types.

Pretty poorly paid as well and don't have any decent offices or facilities.

This was the way the company managed to renegotiate with the chosen "'lucky' employees offering them new jobs/terms etc., then if they did not accept they were deemed to have resigned .

It does not work like that. If an employee refuse an offer of lower pay the company have two choices.

Continue to employe on the old terms or make redundant

tim

I don't agree with that at all.

Comparing razors with protecting children.

I have heard of people being in the child protection departments that have left and found other jobs as they are unable to deal with the horrors that they contend with each day.

| have a young relative who at just 19 works in the child protection department and stated that the inhuman cases we hear on the tv and in the newspapers are just the tip of the iceberg. One case she mentioned recently was that of a young baby boy who was killed by his mother who fed him Bleach.

Why is there so much hand-wringing about public sector workers and so little about the private sector workers who get laid off in their tens and twelves in every county in the land, every day of the week and have been for the last three years?

I feel very sorry for anyone who is in this position and feels they have no control over their lives. There's no "but" to that, I just do.

I don't see where else this goes though.