House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

copydude

Buy To Let To Students

'Students In The Vanguard Of Exploitation'

Guardian Blog on Private Student Housing.

Student halls of residence are being sold off and demolished. In their place are coming student tower blocks - architecturally awful and pre-fabbed but with some fancy price-tags. Student 'cubes' in one London development are being offered at £1,250 a month.

Will it work? The overpriced, inner-city newbuilds were too small for many wage slaves to contemplate and increasingly loan-encumbered students will probably find more room in a second-hand VW camper.

The Guardian sees these developments as a background to recent student rage: private student housing making education ever less affordable.

£1250? Thats nuts!

I lived in Manchester for £28.50 a week! This was 12 years ago. Granted you paid for it in other ways, for example there would be the constant sound of gunfire rapes and murders regularly. Back in those days landlords would undercut each other to try and get youto live with them (landlords which actually lived with you! As well!)

But maybe it is to do with the influx of foreign students? As foreign students pay more and the collaspe in the £ to zimbabwean levels means to your average Chinese person when faced with a III university (degree mill) or somewhere exotic sounding in the UK for about the sameish money then its a no brainer.

But maybe it is to do with the influx of foreign students?

Maybe. It's interesting that students are being increasingly targeted for revenue in every way. I only learned recently that the student loan portfolio is one of the things the Coalition plans to sell off. (Student Backed Securities :unsure:) Then there's all the catering concessions that the Uni's have sold to big business. The author comments: 'In some cities, the tallest buildings of all are halls of residence, given that students are a somewhat more reliable market than those elusive young professionals'.

They are there to be exploited, nothing else. I posted a thread recently about someone wanting to get into student HMO digs, just saw them as juicy little money bags who would pay his pension for him.

Hah - wait til he get the bill for fixing the house at the end of the year!

Maybe. It's interesting that students are being increasingly targeted for revenue in every way. I only learned recently that the student loan portfolio is one of the things the Coalition plans to sell off. (Student Backed Securities :unsure:) Then there's all the catering concessions that the Uni's have sold to big business. The author comments: 'In some cities, the tallest buildings of all are halls of residence, given that students are a somewhat more reliable market than those elusive young professionals'.

It is a bit sad - the University accommodation used to be good, and cheap whilst the private landlords took the mick. Then the universities hiked the halls of residence prices to try and cover their loses (from the education grant reductions that have been going on for years), and now the landlords are catching up again. Still half these places are empty round my way and more and more students are commuting in from more sensible areas.

its £1250 a month not a week

still silly money

(Edited. Careless, I got it right in the subhead.)

But silly money, yes. If you book in advance, you can stay in a Travelodge for £19 a night. I just can't believe people's ideas of affordable accommodation these days. Or rather, what landlords think people can afford.

I notice under this Guardian article there's the usual collection of 'why should students expect a free ride blah etc' comments. I don't think anyone here expects a free ride, but being priced out of accommodation - and now education too in one go - isn't much of a prospect, is it?

Hah - wait til he get the bill for fixing the house at the end of the year!

my fave story about a nasty woman who kept deposits and screwed us everywhich way. We took photos and provided a ton of evidence and she just laughed at us.

She rented it out to a bunch of Russians, she similarly kept the deposit. The Russians after that one year effectively took the house apart causing major structural damage that required a lot of money to fix.

It is a bit sad - the University accommodation used to be good, and cheap whilst the private landlords took the mick. Then the universities hiked the halls of residence prices to try and cover their loses (from the education grant reductions that have been going on for years), and now the landlords are catching up again. Still half these places are empty round my way and more and more students are commuting in from more sensible areas.

Which is where the parking charges get them! I predict the future is the mini motorbike, you can stick them in a little trolley and drag them about with you (only 40 kilos) and do 90mpg!

I'd go along with Ken's guess that wealthy foreign students will be the main tenants. But will there be enough?

There was an interesting programme on the radio the other day about the increasing numbers of students forming food co-ops to save money. Apparently the Slowfood movement has become quite a cult in US universities. I think the reaction to this will be a large number of student communes.

She rented it out to a bunch of Russians, she similarly kept the deposit. The Russians after that one year effectively took the house apart causing major structural damage that required a lot of money to fix.

Beautiful!

Another symptom of the bubble!

I rent a two bedroom house for half that! :huh:

£1250? Thats nuts!

I lived in Manchester for £28.50 a week! This was 12 years ago. Granted you paid for it in other ways, for example there would be the constant sound of gunfire rapes and murders regularly. Back in those days landlords would undercut each other to try and get youto live with them (landlords which actually lived with you! As well!)

But maybe it is to do with the influx of foreign students? As foreign students pay more and the collaspe in the £ to zimbabwean levels means to your average Chinese person when faced with a III university (degree mill) or somewhere exotic sounding in the UK for about the sameish money then its a no brainer.

IMO yes. There is an awful lot of talk about students being more 'demanding' but most UK students simply can't afford to 'demand' more than the traditional basics. If I were going to invest in student accomm. (I'm not) I'd put my money in something cheap. and try to make it cheerful.

When my elder did her MA about 90% of the students on the course were foreign, inc. a lot of very well-off Chinese, and this was a good 10 years ago.

Another symptom of the bubble!

I rent a two bedroom house for half that! :huh:

The majority round here are still in the standard 200 pmpp type house shares.

As university returns to being a playpen for the rich upper middle class due to 9k tuition fees, such developments will look to serve this affluent market.

Over 10 years ago at my middle ranking Uni, you could see that the hoi polloi had been largely socially cleansed and I felt rather poor compare to students driving their brand new Renault Clios with room stuffed full of tellies and laptops and entertainments.