House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ken_ichikawa

Time To Sell Up!

Uh oh, have we just hit a Joe Kenedy moment? With the shoe shine boy?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1339820/Toys-Savings-play-with.html

The MSM telling people to buy silver or gold bullion! :o

Far from it unfortunately, or I'd be a rich man already. This article list cash, shares, pensions etc. before finally getting to gold, with the caveat:

Colin Lawson of financial planner Equilibrium says: 'We don't encourage clients to speculate in precious metals, but as a present, gold or silver has the advantage of being a tangible gift that someone can open at Christmas.'

That said, it is the thin end of the wedge and nice to see it starting to get some MSM coverage of a positive light. This may be the day that the seeds for Phase 3 of the gold bull run are seen to have been sown (in the UK anyway).

I've waited long enough, let's see more of this in the MSM. Roll on the Gold Mania! Let's ride this baby to the top!!! :ph34r:

Edited by General Congreve

Far from it unfortunately, or I'd be a rich man already. This article list cash, shares, pensions etc. before finally getting to gold, with the caveat:

Colin Lawson of financial planner Equilibrium says: 'We don't encourage clients to speculate in precious metals, but as a present, gold or silver has the advantage of being a tangible gift that someone can open at Christmas.'

That said, it is the thin end of the wedge and nice to see it starting to get some MSM coverage of a positive light. This may be the day that the seeds for Phase 3 of the gold bull run are seen to have been sown (in the UK anyway).

I've waited long enough, let's see more of this in the MSM. Roll on the Gold Mania! Let's hide this baby to the top!!! :ph34r:

Funny thing these people signal, get out.

Funny thing these people signal, get out.

Not quite sure what your trying to say, your grammar seems very awkward. But if you are implying that I should sell up, pray tell me what marvellous currency you believe I should exchange it for?

And let's also remember that as soon as the MSM started ramping property, the ensuing bubble burst immediately 8 years later. :lol:

You'll know the bull market for gold has peaked when there's a picture of a golden bull tearing up the dollar or the New York Stock Exchange on the cover of Time Magazine. :ph34r:

Edited by General Congreve

Not quite sure what your trying to say, your grammar seems very awkward. But if you are implying that I should sell up, pray tell me what marvellous currency you believe I should exchange it for?

And let's also remember that as soon as the MSM started ramping property, the ensuing bubble burst immediately 8 years later. :lol:

You'll know the bull market for gold has peaked when there's a picture of a golden bull tearing up the dollar or the New York Stock Exchange on the cover of Time Magazine. :ph34r:

General, What is your target for Silver and Gold. What price will it be at when you decide to get out of it and trade if for property, or what would you sell/trade it for?

I still believe in $500 dollar silver. Silver is still at a 57:1 ratio with gold. Should adjust to around 17:1 Historically it was around 10-12:1

Edited by wtw2

Just wait until gold/silver is frontpage of the tabloids....You would bve a fool to hold after that!

Even when we get to that mania stage it can continue for quite a while, look what happened with property! I think it will be wise to start to average out and not to try to time the market to perfection.

Even when we get to that mania stage it can continue for quite a while, look what happened with property! I think it will be wise to start to average out and not to try to time the market to perfection.

I think that averaging out now would be like STR'ing in 2000. Not a disaster if you bought early enough but a massive waste.

Where do you propose to put your paper cash that you imagine would be safer than metal for these coming years?

Did no one else notice that the story talks about grandparents that give bullion to grand children as gifts? Are grandparents just senile and out of touch or could their years of experience be showing through in their gift selection?

I was given some gold at birth and some at my christening, BUT I wish my grandfather had sat me down and given me a lesson in gold / economics when he was alive. I never sold the gold though.

Did no one else notice that the story talks about grandparents that give bullion to grand children as gifts? Are grandparents just senile and out of touch or could their years of experience be showing through in their gift selection?

In China Taiwan and HK, bullion in small amounts is not unusual, China all of it suffered hyperinflation in the 1950s i.e. still in living memory.

In China Taiwan and HK, bullion in small amounts is not unusual, China all of it suffered hyperinflation in the 1950s i.e. still in living memory.

my point entirely or was I too subtle?

I think that averaging out now would be like STR'ing in 2000. Not a disaster if you bought early enough but a massive waste.

Where do you propose to put your paper cash that you imagine would be safer than metal for these coming years?

My apologies. What I was intending to say was when the time is right, is to average out and not at the present time. Also I will not be selling if it's for worthless bits of paper, regardless of the mania situation. The transfer of my gold/silver money will be into a place to live and life's essentials. I feel we are a long way off from a time when one will want to transfer back into a paper currency, if ever.

As regards to grandparents giving bullion to their grand children, it's only of late that gold and silver have fallen out of fashion in the western world, however gold and silver are back with a vengeance as the world's oldest and trusted currencies and past experience trumps in my books.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

Indeed. You have to have an exit strategy and stick to it.

My plan is when the price hits x to sell off a certain percentage of my stock per month while the price stays north of x and take the averages. If it does reach x (which is not far away now for gold but still some way for silver) then the profits will be very handsome and I will be happy to take them - essentially I will be swapping ownership of PMs for outright ownership of my current property. That is the plan anyway. If it all goes tits up with the PMs I'm nowehere near 100% in with them anyway so happy to take the risk.

One can use technical anaylsis to call the top in gold (after it has happned). When gold trades a week or two below its 200 period moving average, and is unable to make a new high from a retest, then get out. This tactic will have been good for Northern Rock NRK, Barratts BDEV.

au3650lf_ma.gif

2008 would have produced a "technical" sell signal (as some commentators said at the time, including David Morgan). Mid 2009 produced a buy signal.

One can use technical anaylsis to call the top in gold (after it has happned). When gold trades a week or two below its 200 period moving average, and is unable to make a new high from a retest, then get out. This tactic will have been good for Northern Rock NRK, Barratts BDEV.

au3650lf_ma.gif

2008 would have produced a "technical" sell signal (as some commentators said at the time, including David Morgan). Mid 2009 produced a buy signal.

It will be a lot more simpler than that. It will go the same way as real estate. When you hear every joe public talking about it, when you see it in the newspapers daily and when you take a taxi and the driver is advising you to buy it LOL, you know its time to dump!