House Price Crash Forum
easy2012

Hsbc Chairman Says Can't Deleverage Unless Interest Rate Up, Saving Up And Asset Price Down

Erm HSBC is special, because although seen as an international bank, it has the powers of a central bank. Bank notes in HK have HSBC logos on them Along with standard chartered bank. SO they lose some money? They have the power to print some more and also the ability to hide the location of this printed money and feed it into wherever it is needed.

HSBC can't just print bank note - I suggest you read up HK currency board system. For each HKD printed, it needs 1 HKD of electronic reserve or 1/7.73 dollar in HK Currency board account.

I suppose if UK government let all the banks go, HSBC UK will go (which also controls some branches in France etc) but the Asia operation will survive. So HSBC will be about 50%

smaller but will still be trading (and then might be able to buy back most of the UK banks on the cheap using HKD).

Erm HSBC is special, because although seen as an international bank, it has the powers of a central bank. Bank notes in HK have HSBC logos on them Along with standard chartered bank. SO they lose some money? They have the power to print some more and also the ability to hide the location of this printed money and feed it into wherever it is needed.

Its quite funny how HMRC UK asks HK banks for info, the banks there laugh and throw the letters away.

Who is the "printing authority" for banknotes issued in Scotland which are mostly fungible with banknotes issued in the UK?

From memory, it is Lloyds (through the Bank of Scotland), RBS and a subsidiary of the NAB (Clydesdale Bank).

This does not fill me with feelings of joy ....

Who is the "printing authority" for banknotes issued in Scotland which are mostly fungible with banknotes issued in the UK?

From memory, it is Lloyds (through the Bank of Scotland), RBS and a subsidiary of the NAB (Clydesdale Bank).

This does not fill me with feelings of joy ....

...good spot ...in the case of Lloyds and RBS...it's the Government issuing the notes in the name of the taxpayer....ironic ...:rolleyes:

well if they have been able to borrow money from the bank of England at 0.5% I would say yes. Lets face it would you have any money problems if you could borrow a few billion at that rate? When I here them saying we will get all our money back from the bailout I wonder what interest rate we will get back as well. Bet it wont me 27% like some credit cards.

If I'd borrowed £4 million at 0.5% and lent it out at Zopa at 8% over 3 years I'd make a profit of £900,000 (all right somewhat lower than this with tapering outstanding balance but it's late and you get the idea). Never mind the average credit card at 26%

You can see the extreme skill needed for these masters of the universe to make their bonuses and why its vital that they must not be allowed to leave. Who else would be capable of such intelligence?

Now all I need to work out is how to get myself a cash-point card for that special Bank of England hole in the wall.

Edited by uro_who

If I'd borrowed £4 million at 0.5% and lent it out at Zopa at 8% over 3 years I'd make a profit of £900,000 (all right somewhat lower than this with tapering outstanding balance but it's late and you get the idea). Never mind the average credit card at 26%

You can see the extreme skill needed for these masters of the universe to make their bonuses and why its vital that they must not be allowed to leave. Who else would be capable of such intelligence?

Now all I need to work out is how to get myself a cash-point card for that special Bank of England hole in the wall.

yes borrowing money at 0.5% when inflation is at 3.3% It's had to think of an investment that would have lost the banks money just buy any commodity