House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pole

Vacant Homes In Scotland

Rise in numbers of vacant homes in Scotland (BBC)

The number of empty homes in Scotland has risen to its highest level since 2003, according to a survey by the Bank of Scotland.

Its latest vacant property report records 106,239 properties in September 2009 compared with 106,312 in 2003.

On the Western Isles, 13.3% off all properties on the islands were vacant.

In the Scottish Borders the figure is 6.4% and Dumfries and Galloway 5.4%.

The proportion of all homes vacant in Dundee was 6.8%, Shetland 6.4%, 4.3% in Edinburgh, 4.2% in Stirling, 4% in Glasgow, 3.8% in Aberdeen and 2.5% in Falkirk.

I can't understand why all councils in the UK haven't doubled, trebled or quadrupled Council Tax on second or third homes that are unoccupied?... Nice little earner if people pay, or more rental properties if they take steps to avoid it :unsure:

Well, other than the majority of MPs being multiple home owners of course :lol:

It is mental isn't it. You will always get some empty homes but over 100k in a small country like Scotland ?

I have a friend who lives in Aberdeenshire and whenever I visit I am always amazed to see beautiful detached cottages, with land, out in the countryside and the owners have just walked away from them. In Surrey they would be worth £500,000+.