House Price Crash Forum
pandora's box

Vince Cable: I Could Bring Down The Government

I think Vince "I change my mind more often than my undergarments" Cable thinks he can kick Clegg in the nether regions and take the leadership and a larger share in parliament. I started to think this with his proposals for student fees which he then said he didn't like and may absain the vote, so gets disharmony going in the coalition and forces a general election, the libdems who sided with the conservative without a whimper get the boot, others take thier place, Clegg goes down for having brought the coalition about and Cable takes centre stage. The Conservatives get the blame for the pain that labour caused and the libdems come out as a minority in a coalition with labour but with a vastly increased parliamentary presence.

He clearly doesn't want to be the first contestant to be voted out on Christmas Day's Strictly Come Dancing so he's saying he doesn't agree with the harsher government measures and all the broken promises and pledges that he should be associated with as a fully fledged member of that said government.

He might resign he might not, he might resign he might not, he might resign he might not.

Edited by billybong

He clearly asks the journo not to repeat what he is saying outside of the interview - the interivew is on the Telegraph's homepage now - but they have decided to run with this.

This breaks, IMPO, all the journalistic rules if I had heard, and read the transcript of, that interview right.

Politcians constantly talk off the record to journos and usually the journos just gossip about it amongst other journos over a pint... or if the journo is really old-school, and good, the journo keeps it completely to her or himself.

So I am interested how the Torygraph are going to justify what Cable says in the interview about it not being repeated and the fact that it is their headline story.

Will any other politician trust that particular journalist again? Will they trust any Telegraph journo? Will any business leader? You sit down for an interview, they agree not to repeat certain things - i.e. off-record - and then they could and print it???

I imagine journos across the country will be sitting up and wondering the above tonight.

The Liberals could hit back by refusing to speak to any Torygraph journo again - period. If they really want to screw up the Tories they could bring the Govt down and force an election over this.

I bet there will be some journalistic apologies over this and even perhaps the Editor of the Torygraph, amongst others, paying with his job?

Principle or power - Make your mind up Vince. You may get away with being a lying b*stard once, but twice and you'll have lost all credibility forever.

(I suspect kicking Dave out and a lib-lab pact with Ed would make the most sense at this point - Brown's now consigned to history, which he wasn't in May)

Reporter posed as constituent.

Loose cannon Cable 'embarrassed' by his own remarks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12045792

Why? Just why?

The Torygraph has so much to lose from this - as I said, the Liberals can cut the Torygraph out completely now from everything in Government.

It could even result in the Liberals walking away and bringing down the Tory Govt which, surely, is the last thing that the Torygraph wants.

The only thing I can think of - and this is pure speculation - is that the Torygraph was somehow made aware of Cable being a thorn in the side of the Tory Govt and that they want him out? Or perhaps Tories who are opposed to the Coalition wish to weaken the Liberals?

Whatever, it is has more downside to the Torygraph and the Tories than the Liberals IMPO. If anything, Liberal voters dissatisfied with the Coaltion will now see Cable as the guy standing his ground.

Principle or power - Make your mind up Vince. You may get away with being a lying b*stard once, but twice and you'll have lost all credibility forever.

(I suspect kicking Dave out and a lib-lab pact with Ed would make the most sense at this point - Brown's now consigned to history, which he wasn't in May)

For a politician thats a no-brainer

The undercover reporters posed as mothers concerned over changes to the benefits system, particularly the removal of child benefit for higher earners from 2013.

That'll be why he went on and on about nearly every sensitive aspect of government/coalition decision making and policymaking and even some aspects that he'd know would be regarded as pure media gold and publicity if ever reported. Nobody would report just basic concerns on benefits.

Why he didn't just keep to the concerns over the benefits system supposed to have been the concern raised by the "mothers". Most "mothers" aren't at all interested in things like his "nuclear options" :rolleyes: when they have simple questions on their benefits - and Vince as a very experienced politician would know that. Most "mothers" would have quick told him to get back on the subject.

And if they aren't careful the "mothers" will be getting the WikiLeaks" treatment and trying to raise bail money.

No he just doesn't want to be voted out first on Christmas Day. The politics will just blow over in time.

Edited by billybong

I suppose some Liberal voters will look at this as an attempt to discredit him - perhaps because he actually has been threatening to bring down the Govt.

By doing this you could argue that he looks like someone constantly having hissy fits and the sooner he goes the better... which would weaken the Liberals considerably and given more power to the Tories within the Govt...

But what a dangerous game for the Tories to play, if this was indeed the case, as, as RK points out, the Tory/Lib Coalition could very quickly end up a Labour/Liberal/Plaid/Welsh Nats/Ulster one.

He is the most ridiculous minister in the coalition Government. And he has beaten off some stiff competition to win that prize

He can't threaten anyone with anything now

suspect kicking Dave out and a lib-lab pact with Ed would make the most sense at this point

:blink:

that would make no sense whatsoever but it would be brilliant; labour having to clear up their stinking mess :lol:

Vince Cable is trying to become a Prima Donna, all mouth and no action, to sabotage the Coalition will be the end for dear old Vince as he disappears into oblivion. He fears losing his past star status, but tread carefully Vince the X Factor political panel will feed you to the wolves. ;)

He clearly asks the journo not to repeat what he is saying outside of the interview - the interivew is on the Telegraph's homepage now - but they have decided to run with this.

This breaks, IMPO, all the journalistic rules if I had heard, and read the transcript of, that interview right.

Politcians constantly talk off the record to journos and usually the journos just gossip about it amongst other journos over a pint... or if the journo is really old-school, and good, the journo keeps it completely to her or himself.

So I am interested how the Torygraph are going to justify what Cable says in the interview about it not being repeated and the fact that it is their headline story.

Will any other politician trust that particular journalist again? Will they trust any Telegraph journo? Will any business leader? You sit down for an interview, they agree not to repeat certain things - i.e. off-record - and then they could and print it???

I imagine journos across the country will be sitting up and wondering the above tonight.

The Liberals could hit back by refusing to speak to any Torygraph journo again - period. If they really want to screw up the Tories they could bring the Govt down and force an election over this.

I bet there will be some journalistic apologies over this and even perhaps the Editor of the Torygraph, amongst others, paying with his job?

This was my first thought when hearing this. Where are the morals in this? On the one hand all these papers are arguing about how bad Wikileaks is and here they are pulling the same kind of stunt. What the hell happened to ethics all in the name of a cheap story. This is a new low.

This was my first thought when hearing this. Where are the morals in this? On the one hand all these papers are arguing about how bad Wikileaks is and here they are pulling the same kind of stunt. What the hell happened to ethics all in the name of a cheap story. This is a new low.

Didn't he have a non-consensual tango with Alesha Dixon under Swedish law?

If true it shows the vain arrogance and drama queen antics of the man. If he resigns it wouldn't bring down the government. The Cons can still govern as a minority government and dare the LibDems to bring it down. And if Cameron called a snap election I wonder which party would be wiped out? I suspect Vince's and the chances are that the Tories would win (I don't care about current poll ratings). The LibDems are in this for the long term. They are finished if they pull out now. None of this surprises me, I've never considered them to be a serious party.

Vince should kick the whole rotten nest over. the conservatives have proved they're not fit to govern, cuts so far amount to chopping the police, retarded decisions with the armed forces, cutting front line nhs staff and stealing a raft of benefits from children, to the point where toddlers are losing more money than the bankers. All of this clapped by the slavering tory press and their wallet-obsessed supporters, incapable due overpowering greed to perceive themselves to be well off even when they're bumbling about in the top few percentiles. A good honest lib dem man is whats needed. Go Vince!