House Price Crash Forum
Doctor Gloom

Disillutioned Charles Church Owner

This Charles Church flat owner Mark Gillman has advertised his failed holiday home as a holiday let. My initial thoughts of desperation are confirmed when off season he is trying to let out for £400 per week, lovely! On season his pricing is a little 'off' to say the least. £2750 for a Cowes Week let is approximately £1750 over the odds for a Cowes town house! Amazing. £700 for a non Cowes week date, is this bloke having a laugh! As comparison a nice Dorset seaside holiday let would be about £200ish!

About the owner

"We have business interests both on the Isle of Wight and the mainland and we purchased the apartment as our Island home. Unfortunately, we are now unable to spend as much time on the Island as we would like and have therefore decided that we should rent the apartment when we're not using it. The apartment is furnished and equipped as our home and not as a holiday let, which we're sure you will agree when you stay in our beautiful home."

Not as a holiday let! Tax fiddle more like!

Just to make clear about the views, the development does not face the Solent, it faces East Cowes and industry and there is no Lugleys on the Esplanade!

My link

don't be too hard on him. Remember that he has already taken a £150k loss on his investment. Plus his annual service charge 0f £3k. winners and losers. He just happens to be a loser :lol:

don't be too hard on him. Remember that he has already taken a £150k loss on his investment. Plus his annual service charge 0f £3k. winners and losers. He just happens to be a loser :lol:

Thats true, don't be hard on him. Put it this way, he only has to rent it out for 130 Cowes Weeks to recoup his initial outlay. By 2140 I think it will be rubble supporting another dog development.

This Charles Church flat owner Mark Gillman has advertised his failed holiday home as a holiday let. My initial thoughts of desperation are confirmed when off season he is trying to let out for £400 per week, lovely! On season his pricing is a little 'off' to say the least. £2750 for a Cowes Week let is approximately £1750 over the odds for a Cowes town house! Amazing. £700 for a non Cowes week date, is this bloke having a laugh! As comparison a nice Dorset seaside holiday let would be about £200ish!

Are you still living in the 80s?

Here's a not too disimilar Dorset property:

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/bournemouth/145242

@380 for the winter and 695 in the summer.

Whilst the Cowes property is at the top end, it is nowhere near as out of line with pricing as you seem to think

tim

It's only 2750 pounds per week for 1 week of the year Aug 6th to 12th.

Other than that the price ranges from 400 to 800 pounds per week which seems every reasonable for a luxury 4 bedroomed holiday let.

It's only 2750 pounds per week for 1 week of the year Aug 6th to 12th.

Other than that the price ranges from 400 to 800 pounds per week which seems every reasonable for a luxury 4 bedroomed holiday let.

It's 4 bedded, not 4 bedroomed

tim

Are you still living in the 80s?

Here's a not too disimilar Dorset property:

http://www.holidayle...rnemouth/145242

@380 for the winter and 695 in the summer.

Whilst the Cowes property is at the top end, it is nowhere near as out of line with pricing as you seem to think

tim

In all fairness the property in cowes is in an industrial area and surrounded by scaffolding in an attempt to stop water entering the flats

http://www.housepric...howtopic=136584

Worth a re visit just to show the scaffolding ( mentioned in post above) to carry out "remedial work" at the Charles Church damp flats . I still think £2600 rent for a flat in cowes week is pushing it a bit

Edit : Sorry its £2750 a week :blink::blink:

Edited by Daft Boy

http://www.housepric...howtopic=136584

Worth a re visit just to show the scaffolding ( mentioned in post above) to carry out "remedial work" at the Charles Church damp flats . I still think £2600 rent for a flat in cowes week is pushing it a bit

Edit : Sorry its £2750 a week :blink::blink:

Just a tad, not like you can even see the yacht racing from the balcony.

it'd be interesting to know the average total void weeks in a year for these holiday lets.added problem for a family is getting to the IOW.

Doc/Db how muc is it?I see this on the isle of man,costs £250/300 for the ferry in summer.

Average cost of car and four people is around £100 for period return on Red Funnel april till september. Can rise to £150 return during summer peak weeks. Wightlink is about the same.

it'd be interesting to know the average total void weeks in a year for these holiday lets.added problem for a family is getting to the IOW.

Doc/Db how muc is it?I see this on the isle of man,costs £250/300 for the ferry in summer.

Was doing some research the other day, trying to come to terms with how house prices have become and remain so expensive in the Isle of Wight. There was a petition about ferry prices on their MP's website, with comments by locals about the costs for their own travel and impact on tourism. One example from many below.

Thank you to everyone who has supported my campaign for the Office of Fair Trading to investigate Isle of Wight ferry services.

i have not been off the island since i became a single parent 3 years ago the fares are prohibitively expensive for many islanders to afford to travel.