House Price Crash Forum
Hyperduck Quack Quack

Where's The Big Society When You Need It?

In town the roads were salted and gritted but as usual nothing has been done to the pavements, which are treacherous ice and hard-packed snow. Even in the pedestrianised shopping centre, precious little had been done to make it safer underfoot. So - where was the Big Society? If people can't even organise to clear snow in a busy town centre, what chance of there being the will to take over public services? And no, I'm not going to put my money where my mouth is. It's not my job to clear snow in the town centre, specially if I'm not paid. :lol:

In town the roads were salted and gritted but as usual nothing has been done to the pavements, which are treacherous ice and hard-packed snow. Even in the pedestrianised shopping centre, precious little had been done to make it safer underfoot. So - where was the Big Society? If people can't even organise to clear snow in a busy town centre, what chance of there being the will to take over public services? And no, I'm not going to put my money where my mouth is. It's not my job to clear snow in the town centre, specially if I'm not paid. :lol:

Town Centre?

You are odd!

They've been hell bent on destroying them for decades - maybe you should shop in the out-of-town areas/Malls like millions of others?

When the snow was bad a couple of weeks ago here (2 foot deep), the residential roads near me were cleared thoroughly by all the men in the streets quicksmart. The bus service remained missing for a week after that for some reason, perhaps the steep hills were a worry still for such heavy vehicles. Of course town centres are a different area in that people only work there generally, they don't live there and so won't go out on a Sunday and clear it up. If it clearly benefits people, they will chip in! I'll go out rubbish collecting too at least in the proximity of my house - if I have a party or whatever, impressions make people feel better. I'll certainly not just leave my area looking scruffy - it might attract more scruffy types to the area :P

My neighbour, who was recently in court for a 'get off my land' standoff is now the toast of the community for clearing the local suburbs with his tractor, fitted with a recently purchased snow plough.

There's your big society.

My neighbour, who was recently in court for a 'get off my land' standoff is now the toast of the community for clearing the local suburbs with his tractor, fitted with a recently purchased snow plough.

There's your big society.

My neighbours cleaned a nice path outside their privately owned houses, which ended at the point(s , at either end of the road) the council and privately rented flats began.

Since there's a huge slidey ice rink at either end, I'm not really sure what the point of that is?

I love your thought process...

lots of snow -> government's responsibility -> big society's responsibility -> somebody else's responsibility

Grow up and buy a shovel.

Edited by Fraccy

I love your thought process...

lots of snow -> government's responsibility -> big society's responsibility -> somebody else's responsibility

Grow up and buy a shovel.

+1

In town the roads were salted and gritted but as usual nothing has been done to the pavements, which are treacherous ice and hard-packed snow. Even in the pedestrianised shopping centre, precious little had been done to make it safer underfoot. So - where was the Big Society?

In bed waiting for it all to go away.

nulabour should have bought the millenium dome big enough to cover the UK...Oh, and wasnt it supposed to have collapsed at end of life in 2004??...useless German engineering.

The snow ploughs need somewhere to push all the snow they plough off the roads. These are called pavements.

I've been having to walk on the roads to work lately, which isn't as bad as it sounds because the cars are mostly stationary.

My neighbours cleaned a nice path outside their privately owned houses, which ended at the point(s , at either end of the road) the council and privately rented flats began.

Since there's a huge slidey ice rink at either end, I'm not really sure what the point of that is?

I rent.

I cleared the snow outside my home as well as the stairs and pathways of two of my elderly neighbours. If the rest of my neighbours did the same thing, we would have our Big Society.

The challenge with the Big Society is that my individual actions are not enough to change society. If enough of my neighbours copied my actions, a critical mass would develop where the rest are shamed into following suit. On my street, in this instance, this has yet to happen.

I rent.

I cleared the snow outside my home as well as the stairs and pathways of two of my elderly neighbours. If the rest of my neighbours did the same thing, we would have our Big Society.

The challenge with the Big Society is that my individual actions are not enough to change society. If enough of my neighbours copied my actions, a critical mass would develop where the rest are shamed into following suit. On my street, in this instance, this has yet to happen.

+1

You can only physically do so much!

We've done our path and along two neighbour houses and one neighbour's path... I'd have loved to have done the rest but it's bloody freezing out!

You can only physically do so much!

We've done our path and along two neighbour houses and one neighbour's path... I'd have loved to have done the rest but it's bloody freezing out!

cant do our path in our nice rented mansion,...its a gravel drive with two entrances, and no footpath outside....

I rent.

snowing in Californicatia?

Yep. This coalition government have no chance of seeing out their full term when people can't even go out and shovel up snow for each other.

People were so much nicer to each other when Labour were in power.

snowing in Californicatia?

We are in London at the moment. The first time that we can get back to CA is early March. Poor planning on my part ....

So - where was the Big Society?

In Dave and Osborne's fevered imagination.

Where is Osborne by the way? Is he going to hide behind Vince 'the human shield' Cable for the duration of this parliament?

People need to toughen up a bit, its only a little bit of snow, hardly the blitz, the country is full of nancies. .
People are too busy at the gym on exercise bikes, rowing machines and treadmills. Snow clearance isn't part of their controlled exercise regimes! Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

I know someone who works for a rather large chain of catalogue stores and that have been specifically told not to clear away snow or put any grit down. This is down to the fact that if they have cleared the snow and/or gritted their car park/pavement area and someone slips and falls they are then liable and can get sued.

I rent.

Unfortunately this is the problem. We didn't have much snow but I cleared and gritted my front path and that of our elderly neighbour.

However it seemed pointless doing the footpath along the street in front of our houses given there is 100 yds of snow and ice in each direction. My efforts are better exerted making sure she is ok and getting anything she requires if she does not want to go out.

I would clear snow outside my home if I felt it was necessary. If it's just a few inches, like now, and on top of ice, it would be more dangerous after clearance. But in the town centre, it's different - lots of people and hard packed snow and ice.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

I know someone who works for a rather large chain of catalogue stores and that have been specifically told not to clear away snow or put any grit down. This is down to the fact that if they have cleared the snow and/or gritted their car park/pavement area and someone slips and falls they are then liable and can get sued.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_191868

It's unlikely you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries on the path if you have cleared it carefully. Follow the snow code when clearing snow and ice safely.

Some nurse is suing the widow of a man she was dealing with in his last weeks of cancer when she slipped on a ramp outside their house.