House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Pontin's Future In More Doubt As Developers Bid To Bulldoze Sites

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/19/pontins-future-doubt-developers-bid-to-bulldoze-sites

Prospects for the cash-strapped Pontin's chain of holiday camps are darkening as property bidders descend upon the business with proposals to bulldoze chalets to make way for lucrative residential or commercial developments in prime seaside locations.

Once a stalwart of domestic family holidays, the 64-year-old company collapsed into administration last month, falling victim to austere economic conditions. Although almost 60 potential buyers had initially expressed interest, the administrator KPMG received just three firm offers ahead of a deadline yesterday. A handful more belated bids could materialise, including interest from former bosses Graham Parr and Ian Smith.

Bourne Leisure, the owner of rival chain Butlin's, which was initially touted as a buyer, has opted out. And an offer has so far failed to materialise from Bhanu Choudhrie, an Indian-born millionaire investor who declared last month that he wanted to buy Pontin's and had ambitious plans for expansion. Choudrie's C&C Alpha group has investments in hotels, healthcare and aviation.

Are these sites in prime locations for developments?

no.

well, they were 4 years ago...even the chalets would have gone for £180K each for investment purposes.

well, they were 4 years ago...even the chalets would have gone for £180K each for investment purposes.

If the value of scrap asbestos ever goes up, they will be worth a fortune.

The future is Centre Parcs.

A trip to Center Parcs is my dream. I have been all around this world of ours but I have never once yet spent £1000 to have four days in a wet field in Nottinghamshire and if I die without doing it I know my entire life will have been a waste.

A trip to Center Parcs is my dream. I have been all around this world of ours but I have never once yet spent £1000 to have four days in a wet field in Nottinghamshire and if I die without doing it I know my entire life will have been a waste.

It will be when air taxes are increased markedly for environmental reasons ;) to say £35000. Its either £1000 for a few days in a wet field in Notts or in your home city which will be filled (if not already) with violent chavs.

:lol::lol:

Not a fan then? Never been myself, at least now I know I'll have to make an effort otherwise my entire life will be a waste.

:D

Hey, £1,000 for 4 days in a wet Nottinghamshire field is purest luxury when you compare it to spending £2,000 to lie around on the floor at Heathrow airport looking at the 2 inches of snow outside.

Hey, £1,000 for 4 days in a wet Nottinghamshire field is purest luxury when you compare it to spending £2,000 to lie around on the floor at Heathrow airport looking at the 2 inches of snow outside.

Was just watching BBC News and they were interviewing a yummy mummy whose holiday was £16,000 for her family, and it had been cancelled. She wasn't happy

a million people leave at Christmas!

A MILLION!!!

Quite a shockingly huge number imo. Clearly if 1M people are going away for xmas there's no shortage of money!

A MILLION!!!

Quite a shockingly huge number imo. Clearly if 1M people are going away for xmas there's no shortage of money!

A lot of these people will be foreigners living/working in the UK, going to their home country for Xmas.

I did this trip myself (in the reverse direction) for 8 years

tim

A MILLION!!!

thats probably up a bit from the 750,000 that leave, and return, every week.

bear in mind, thats only 430 flights of 250 people a day

Heathrow claim 1.5 flights in every minute.

Some friends of mine have been to Centre Parcs. One admitted it was very expensive with hardly anything included, the other commented that they had to place their booking before the website would tell them what was available on their chosen weekend. If he'd have known in advance he wouldn't have booked. It sounds like a nice idea, but the additional costs really put me off.

I'm sad to hear about Pontins. My mum used to be a competitive ballroom dancer in the 60s and many of the national level events were run by Pontins.

I'm sad to hear about Pontins. My mum used to be a competitive ballroom dancer in the 60s and many of the national level events were run by Pontins.

Those of us who have long given up on primetime TV wish it go back to Pontins.

Perhaps they could also start hosting some sort of singing competition where everyone could point and laugh at some mentally retarded people in the early rounds and then throw money at the judges towards the final.

Then when everyone got back from their Pontins break they could discuss it endlessly at work.

Given its been at 99% occupancy for 23 years they must be doing something right.

Of course it costs an arm and a leg to run places like that properly, something pontins and rank (whinfell) never understood.

Given its been at 99% occupancy for 23 years they must be doing something right.

Of course it costs an arm and a leg to run places like that properly, something pontins and rank (whinfell) never understood.

Is it really that long...I remember as a truck driver when they were building it I brought three enormous decorative boulders from Belgium on a flatbed trailer and took them to Center Parcs at Mansfield, 24 tonnes they weighed altogether. They will still be there today.

And yes, the key to continued success for such a place is re-investment and this is where Pontins fell down.

The five Pontins sites are...

Camber sands

Southport

Prestatyn

Brean Sands

Pakefield

Houses maybe, holiday destinations? Not so sure.

I'm surprised that this list is so short.

I remember visting their sites in Devon/Cornwall.

I note that they HAVE mostly been turned into housing

http://www.butlinsmemories.com/pontins/camps/index.htm

Edited by tim123