House Price Crash Forum
newbonic

8 Home Property Empire Of Cabinet Minister Chris Huhne

Today's' Sunday Times main paper page 9 (so can't link):

Energy Secretary Lib dem MP Chris Huhne's property portfolio comes to light as he battles to keep as much of it as possible during the divorce from his wife (Huhne is marrying his ex aide). The houses listed are:

• £2.2m House in Clapham
  • £333k Ex council house in Clapaham
  • £330k Ex council flat Lambeth
  • £310k House in Hampshire
  • £290k Terrace in Oxford
  • £150k Flat Lambeth
  • £265k Flat Oxford
  • £? House in France

Remember: We're all in this together! :P

Energy Secretary Lib dem MP Chris Huhne's property portfolio comes to light as he battles to keep as much of it as possible during the divorce from his wife (Huhne is marrying his ex aide). The houses listed are:

• £2.2m House in Clapham
  • £150k Flat Lambeth
  • £265k Flat Oxford
  • £? House in France

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1290940/Chris-Huhnes-wife-Vicky-Price-instructs-divorce-lawyers-admitted-adultery-grounds.html

'I have investments in five homes for rent, which is basically my pension fund from my time in the City; and we have two homes we actually use, which is one in Eastleigh and one in London.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1290940/Chris-Huhnes-wife-Vicky-Price-instructs-divorce-lawyers-admitted-adultery-grounds.html#ixzz18YH6eijn

Apparently five of his houses are just his pension fund from his time in the City. "

We will never see any Parliamemtary impetus to reduce house prices while most of them are multiple property greedy pigs.

Pass the sick bag...

Edited by juvenal

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz18YH6eijn

Apparently five of his houses are just his pension fund from his time in the City. "

We will never see any Parliamemtary impetus to reduce house prices while most of them are multiple property greedy pigs.

Pass the sick bag...

According to the ST article he has no fewer than 6 actual pensions (beside the 5 house pension), 3 of which are tax payer funded.

Just thought I'd add from the article that Huhne is the guy who famously claimed 79p for a packet of Hobnobs on his parliamentary expenses!

But agreed; I doubt that there's much vested interest in the government to see house prices fall. just the opposite in fact if Huhne is typical.

• £2.2m House in Clapham
  • £150k Flat Lambeth
  • £265k Flat Oxford
  • £? House in France

I wonder if they all have nice bathrooms, free insurance and free telephone line?

Just had a look at his register of interests

Current

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/christopher_huhne/eastleigh

Residential property in the South-East from which rental income is received. (The property details have been cut down obviously taxpayers cannot see how many properties they have contributed towards)

Old

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/regmem/?p=11565

Residential house and flat in Oxford, from which rental income is received.

Residential house and two flats in London, from which rental income is received

Some Donations

Mr and Mrs Brian Roper, of Bath (founders of Roper Rhodes bathrooms http://www.roperrhodes.co.uk/)

Lord Sharman Chairman of Aviva http://www.aviva.com/investor-relations/corporate-governance/board-of-directors/lord-sharman/

Sir Michael Rake Chairman of BT, Chairman of Easyjet, director of Barclays (recently appointed to Cameron's Business Advisory group) http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/Ourcompany/Theboard/MichaelRake/SirMichaelRake.htm

Carrousel Capital fund managers http://www.carrouselcapital.com/

Robin Monro-Davies Chairman, NB Distressed Debt Investment Fund http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article7145692.ece

Marcus Evans Ltd Creating and organising the highest quality live business, sports and entertainment events around the world http://www.marcusevans.com/

Sir Ian William Wrigglesworth Chairman of UK land estates http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Wrigglesworth

Paul Strasburger Made a peer in November http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/news/Big-Lib-Dem-donor-Paul-Strasburger-peer/article-2916099-detail/article.html.

" many business interests include providing security for 5000 empty properties around the country" Paul Moore. A good read: http://bristol.indymedia.org/article/690567?condense_comments=false

The list goes on but I've seen enough

According to the ST article he has no fewer than 6 actual pensions (beside the 5 house pension), 3 of which are tax payer funded.

Just thought I'd add from the article that Huhne is the guy who famously claimed 79p for a packet of Hobnobs on his parliamentary expenses!

But agreed; I doubt that there's much vested interest in the government to see house prices fall. just the opposite in fact if Huhne is typical.

It is sickening, of course. These guys are supposed to represent us, the people of the UK, both taxpayers and other.

I suspect that now they think that the people they represent are property owners. That the renters are in a minority and are less important than property owners. We renters still count! We have a right to representation, even if we are in a minority, which we might be.

'I have investments in five homes for rent, which is basically my pension fund from my time in the City; and we have two homes we actually use, which is one in Eastleigh and one in London.'

So he won't want his pariliamentary pension then?

And some don't think the government are doing everything to keep HPI going?

No wonder we got the low CGT rate, continuing low IR and nothing to reign in BTL!

Corrupt lot of sods we have in Parliament.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1290940/Chris-Huhnes-wife-Vicky-Price-instructs-divorce-lawyers-admitted-adultery-grounds.html

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1290940/Chris-Huhnes-wife-Vicky-Price-instructs-divorce-lawyers-admitted-adultery-grounds.html#ixzz18YH6eijn

Pass the sick bag...

+ 1

The stupid b@stard!

And he is an economist! Why he didn't sell the lot in 2006-7?? What an imbecile! I hope he is still mortgaged. Now I am curious to know when he bought them.

And thanks for this v. interesting info newbonic.

He's not coming over as a "real gentleman", is he? :huh:

And some don't think the government are doing everything to keep HPI going?

No wonder we got the low CGT rate, continuing low IR and nothing to reign in BTL!

Corrupt lot of sods we have in Parliament.

The coalition knows that current (real) prices are absolutely unsustainable. They do not have a choice. And they (Vince, Clegg, Osborne and Mervyn) know that.

They can mask real falls a little, with inflation, but they can't over do this either. And they know this too. They have no choice.

Between these limits, at best they have a very very narrow window. At worse, the problems overlap, and they won't be able to land this "sucker" gently, as they are trying to do. And they know all that.

+ 1

The stupid b@stard!

And he is an economist! Why he didn't sell the lot in 2006-7?? What an imbecile! I hope he is still mortgaged. Now I am curious to know when he bought them.

And thanks for this v. interesting info newbonic.

I bet he has some kind of tax efficient (i think that is the term used) way of avoiding paying tax on these properties. I bet it is mortgages as the interest can be deducted from rent payments.

But it would be really funny if he put them all in his wifes name for tax efficiency and all this came out. Perhaps ukuncut can do a Philip Green on him and hopefully cause a resignation.

Edited by ralphmalph

Oddly enough, despite his massive property portfolio, I think Huhne's a supporter of introducing a land value tax, so he's not all bad.

Also, I saw him wandering about in central London about 2 months ago accompanied by two aides (male ones this time) who looked straight out of The Thick of it. I walked past him and his entourage when I was on the way out to buy my lunch, and he and his staff were singularly failing to catch a cab, despite running from one side of the road to the other. When I went past them again about 10 mins later on my way back to the ofifice, they had still, rather pathetically, been unable to get a taxi.

He has a reputation for being highly competent, but I'm not sure where this comes from. He nearly got hit by a bus running for the cab that they eventually caught.

Pension from his time as an MEP. Golden pension as a front bench MP*. Capital appreciation of seven houses/ plus rentals from five of them (£1000 a week?)

Do these pricks never say 'I have enough'?

* Based on:

Cabinet ministers receive a salary of £134,565 (including MP's salary of £65,738).

Edited by juvenal

Wasn't this the twerp that screwed us over for a packet of biscuits? And now he's getting divorced after chasing after his aide (how very original).

Chris Huhne is a sad and pathetic little waste of oxygen, isn't he?

Can anyone name anything he's ever done that could be said to have truly 'served the public'?

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

Wasn't this the twerp that screwed us over for a packet of biscuits? And now he's getting divorced after chasing after his aide (how very original).

Chris Huhne is a sad and pathetic little waste of oxygen, isn't he?

Can anyone name anything he's ever done that could be said to have truly 'served the public'?

Would you say from his exhaustive list of donations he looks like someone who is prepared to get his hands on money from anyone? I've never seen such a long list before.

A true believer in a FTSE governmint?

• £2.2m House in Clapham
  • £150k Flat Lambeth
  • £265k Flat Oxford
  • £? House in France

Another useless hoarder.

Is someone who earnt money working in the city and bought houses worse than Michael Meacher?

MM has been an MP since 1970 so ALL his gains are as a direct result of working for us.

(Did he pay off the mortgage on one place with his allowance and then just buy another?)

Michael Hugh Meacher (born 4 November 1939) is a British Labour politician, who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Oldham West and Royton since 1997. Previously he had been the MP for Oldham West, first elected in 1970.

8. Land and Property

Four residential properties in London from which rental income is received.

Register last updated: 6 Dec 2010.

(Has he sold the cotswold place or put it in the wife's name?)

History:

6 September 2010 - View full entry

8. Land and Property

* A property in the Cotswolds from which rental income was received for two weeks' holiday rental.

9. Registrable shareholdings

* (B) Planet Organic (organic food retailing).

25 November 2009 - View full entry

* (B) Planet Organic (organic food retailing) .

11 November 2009 - View full entry

* (B) Planet Organic (organic food retailing) .

31 January 2004 - View full entry

4 December 2003 - View full entry

5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK)

* July 2002, two tickets and hospitality from Barclay's Bank at Wimbledon Men's Final. (Registered 2 August 2001)

26 November 2002 - View full entry

* July 2001, hospitality from Barclay's at Wimbledon Men's Final. (Registered 2 August 2001)

* July 2001, hospitality from Panasonic at presentation of King Lear at Globe Theatre. (Registered 2 August 2001)

* July 2002, two tickets and hospitality from Barclay's Bank at Wimbledon Men's Final. (Registered 2 August 2001)

8. Land and Property

* A small number of flats in SW and NW London from which rental income is received.

* Four residential properties in London from which rental income is received.

* A property in the Cotswolds from which rental income was received for two weeks' holiday rental.

4. Sponsorship or financial or material support

* UNISON make a donation of £650 a year directly to my constituency party.

14 May 2002 - View full entry

4. Sponsorship or financial or material support

* UNISON make a donation of £650 a year directly to my constituency party.

* 9 July 2000, hospitality from Barclay's at Wimbledon Men's Final. (Registered 28 April 2001)

* July 2001, hospitality from Barclay's at Wimbledon Men's Final. (Registered 2 August 2001)

* July 2001, hospitality from Panasonic at presentation of King Lear at Globe Theatre. (Registered 2 August 2001)

8. Land and Property

* Flats let in London.

* A small number of flats in SW and NW London from which rental income is received.

14 May 2001 - View full entry

* 9 July 2000, hospitality from Barclay's at Wimbledon Men's Final. (Registered 28 April 2001)

10 November 2000 (first entry we have)

8. Land and Property

* Flats let in London.