House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Netbook Market Dropped Due To Economy Downturn

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/04/26/netbook-market-dropped-due-to-economy-downturn/

Despite netbook segment that has gained much traction and appeared as a new driving factor to sustain PC hardware revenue during current economic crisis, the recently released third party report discloses that the none of the major netbook vendors is able to hit the first quarter sales target, as tally with what being observed by the shipment slowing down of Intel Atom processor that monopolizes most of the netbook designs in the market.

Most of the netbook sales are mainly powered by Intel Inc, using its tiny but yet powerful Atom processor and with collaboration effort from some of the major OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer) that occupy the sales distribution include Taiwanese companies such as Acer, Asustek and MSI. Out of the total sales volume, Acer topped up with 40 percent followed by Asustek at 30 percent and other manufacturers sharing the rest of the pie chart distribution. For Acer that leads the market with its Aspire during first quarter, it was not able to meet its sales of two million units as forecasted earlier. Whereas for Asustek, its Eee PC volumes stay close to 900,000 units, slightly lower than one million units goal projected previously while MSI’s Wind series only managed to achieve 200,000 units.

Anyone would think we are in a recession and not a recovery...

So are the sales targets overly optimistic to try and get the sales force working harder or is demand simply down?

Personally, I feel it's more down to the wider choices including smart phones, iPads and iPhones. £200-250 is alot of money for a woefully under powered machine. I sold my two month old Dell Inspiron on eBay and used the proceeds for my iPhone 4, it's infinitely better.

http://www.mydigital...onomy-downturn/

So are the sales targets overly optimistic to try and get the sales force working harder or is demand simply down?

The report is surprisingly meaningless. What target (I assume the author means "targets") is it that vendors are failing to hit? This could just be another case of unreasonable growth expectations.

I suspect it is notebooks generally and not just notebooks.

The i3 chip should have been replaced by the i5 in the cost per CPU as the i7 CPU notebooks appeared. Firms are still charging a sizeable cost for i3s and a premium for both i5s and i7s.

I believe this is because they have such high levels of i3 stock unsold.

Once bitten, twice shy perhaps. The netbooks I've tried are a tad underpowered, have poor build quality and most of the SSD equipped ones run even Win XP like a dog. Recently replaced mine for a secondhand IBM Thinkpad X60s with a new battery which came in at around £150. An utter revelation in terms of speed, screen size and build quality compared with the netbooks (despite being 3-4 years old).

Edited by greencat

Once bitten, twice shy perhaps. The netbooks I've tried are a tad underpowered, have poor build quality and most of the SSD equipped ones run even Win XP like a dog. Recently replaced mine for a secondhand IBM Thinkpad X60s with a new battery which came in at around £150. An utter revelation in terms of speed, screen size and build quality compared with the netbooks (despite being 3-4 years old).

I agree, I tried a netbook but will never buy another one. I just don't think they serve a purpose, Better to buy a not much more expensive 13/14" notebook with all the power and functionality you could want but also the lightweight compact design.

Personally, I feel it's more down to the wider choices including smart phones, iPads and iPhones. £200-250 is alot of money for a woefully under powered machine. I sold my two month old Dell Inspiron on eBay and used the proceeds for my iPhone 4, it's infinitely better.

Son uses my net book when his mates come round and they run out of computers and consoles.

They are crap IMO. Too small to be any use for anything other than very short use

If you travel shed loads then they have a purpose. I've taken mine around with me (an asus 901 with unbuntu) all around Asia after lugging a monster notebook which was 5kilos around with me for work purposes.

The problem is the intel atom is seriously underpowered at anything and everything. You throw at it. Flash adverts it'd get hot, lots of tabs it'd get hot. Defcon everybody dies had to turn it to the lowest setting. Have a flash video and the CPU goes nuclear hot.

Curiously my Dell 2002 C640 is considerably more powerful than any netbook currently on the market. It only weighs a tad more too at 1.7 kilos. And can handle all of the above with few problems but it does tend to underclock itself to save itself from going nuclear sometimes.

Anyone here have any experience of using a Hackintosh? I prefer the Mac OS but as a long term contributor to Steve Jobs personal wealth, I've found myself wondering about alternative hardware solutions.

Netbooks have been stuck with the same relatively underpowered spec for almost two years now (although I still use mine productively almost every day). However, I did see a news article this morning about a new dual-core Atom chip which looks like it could give the market a kick.

If anything, an economic downturn should help them as they are a very cheap way of getting a useful computer. As opposed to woeful overpriced toys like the iPad.

As has been previously alluded to in this thread...

Netbooks and tablets are vying for the same market sector...

Anecdotal. I want something a bit more portable than my current laptop. Tool of choice will be a tablet, not a netbook. QED.

Netbooks have a look and feel that just screams 'tat'. You now get a smartphone with any modest phone contract so that sorts you out for basic web and email checking. If you want a proper computer you'd get a laptop, a super-slim one if portability is needed.

I had a Samsung NC10 and I thought it was fine.

I only got rid of it when my need for mobile computing disappeared.

I *might* be tempted with a revised iPad, but I just can't get around the difficulty of moving stuff to/from it.

As has been previously alluded to in this thread...

Netbooks and tablets are vying for the same market sector...

Anecdotal. I want something a bit more portable than my current laptop. Tool of choice will be a tablet, not a netbook. QED.

You'll be sadly disappointed if you want it to actually replace a laptop, unless all you do is surf. Even then, none of the tablet based browsers offer the functionality of Firefox/Chrome/IE.

weird my windows 7 netbook is ace, dual core, nice and fast and a 9hour battery life, great for conferences, long trips and sofa browsing. My main laptop has a 19inch screen so its a bit unwieldy for sofa browsing. A Phone is ok for when your out, but its not as usful as a real machine...

Edited by AteMoose

Got my wife a Acer Linux Netbook a couple of years ago for £160. It's perfect; the linux bit means that it does not quickly update itself to running like a slug, and it gets on the internet in about 30 seconds after switching on. After 2 years, it still works exactly as well as when it was bought. Money very well spent.. if you have ever had the wifely phone call of 'the computer has gone funny please fix it with no problem description from 10 miles away', you'll know what I mean.

I bought a netbook as a cheap replacement to an ageing laptop that gave up the ghost. It's brilliant. It will keep up with most day to day tasks and I've done a fair bit of development on it using NetBeans. If anything, the screen resolution is the only thing that lets it down, so careful placement of toolbars makes all the difference.

I had a play with the hackintosh. I found it took a lot of tinkering to work and demanded a high level of technical knowledge to keep it going. And be careful with updates!

Netbooks came along because people couldn't afford laptops and now they can't even afford Netbooks.

Economic indicator.

Exactly. My last very nice laptop (till i dropped it one too many times) cost £300 in 2006. Same thing in 2009 cost £400. We were supposed to have deflation, and even without that, electronics are supposed to get cheaper anyway.

So i spent £180 on a netbook instead. I think a lot do the same.

It's not a sign of recession...

Just a sign of iPads cannibalising netbook sales....

Although isn't a half decent iPad around £500? The eepc looks good value for just over a hundred quid or so, but charging £300+ for an underpowered Dell smacks a bit of a rip off IMHO...

For those who just wanted a cheap portable computer, the low end of the notebook market has dropped to where it's only a little more expensive than a netbook and probably gives you a faster CPU, bigger screen and full-size keyboard.

For those who wanted something simple for web-browsing and don't do anything that needs a keyboard there's now the tablet market. The iPad is insanely expensive but a simple ARM-based tablet can easily be cheaper than most netbooks.

There's been little change in netbook technology so basically no reason to upgrade the one you have to a new one the way you would with a laptop.

So I'm not surprised that sales are down... more competition and no push to upgrade inevitably means that people won't be buying as many.

Netbooks were a historical aberration. They demonstrated there's a previously-neglected market for smaller laptops, but that niche is better filled by more portable 'tablet' computers. And you refer specifically to Intel's Atom: that has limited attraction when set against the lower power consumption (and hence much longer life per unit battery weight) of ARM processors.

Netbooks were a historical aberration. They demonstrated there's a previously-neglected market for smaller laptops, but that niche is better filled by more portable 'tablet' computers.

Not until tablets come with keyboards... at which point they're basically laptops.

There are plenty of good uses for tablets, but they can't replace a 'small laptop' for anyone who wants to use it primarily for producing things rather than consuming them.