House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

New Era As U S Style Apartments Begin

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/17/renting-build-to-let-boom

Rental boom drives demand for 'build to let' investmentsWith the dream of homeownership fading – the average age of a first-time buyer is now 37 - more people than ever opt to rent
An Englishman's home is his castle and the housing market has long reflected people's desire to own their home. Property prices have come close to becoming a national obsession and it is hard to imagine TV schedules without the plethora of shows about buying, doing up and selling bricks and mortar.
But things are beginning to change as a number of powerful factors suggest that Britain is increasingly becoming a nation of renters...../

I am used to renting from the pros in the US and it was a painless and simple process. Congenial in fact. Didn't have the problems of being told to sod off when the owner wanted to sell his gaff and the places tended to be immaculate and under strict regulations regarding deposits and cleanliness.

Overall, I welcome this development. It will, however, harm the BTL brigade who are still hawking nasty hovels around here for £1k a month.

Example of upscale apts in TX I am familiar with $800 to $1400 pm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4yU1YoGPfE

Edited by Realistbear

Any competition to the BTLs here in the UK will be such a treat to watch.

The BTLs are trying to put up their rents using the old shortage of supply con again. But I think a big threat to them will actually be the hotels.

When you see the amount people pay in rent. Then notice fewer people taking holidays. The hotels only have to drop their prices a bit, and it might just be the answer!

We'll all end up living like the Major!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/17/renting-build-to-let-boom

Rental boom drives demand for 'build to let' investmentsWith the dream of homeownership fading – the average age of a first-time buyer is now 37 - more people than ever opt to rent
An Englishman's home is his castle and the housing market has long reflected people's desire to own their home. Property prices have come close to becoming a national obsession and it is hard to imagine TV schedules without the plethora of shows about buying, doing up and selling bricks and mortar.
But things are beginning to change as a number of powerful factors suggest that Britain is increasingly becoming a nation of renters...../

I am used to renting from the pros in the US and it was a painless and simple process. Congenial in fact. Didn't have the problems of being told to sod off when the owner wanted to sell his gaff and the places tended to be immaculate and under strict regulations regarding deposits and cleanliness.

Overall, I welcome this development. It will, however, harm the BTL brigade who are still hawking nasty hovels around here for £1k a month.

Example of upscale apts in TX I am familiar with $800 to $1400 pm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4yU1YoGPfE

If people here see what I get in Florida for $1,000 a month all in (none of this council tax on top sh!te they would drool. The agents are so nice as well (as is the LL).

If people here see what I get in Florida for $1,000 a month all in (none of this council tax on top sh!te they would drool. The agents are so nice as well (as is the LL).

The people need to expect more for less in this country. If everything was reduced by one third it would be in alignment with most other places on a value-for-money basis.

We have put up with rip off prices, poor quality and nasty service for far too long. I am not sure how this country keeps going and why on earth it is the number one target for migrants, fake asylum seekers and the high plains drifters.

Housing in this country must be among the worst value for money in the Western world if not THE worst. If I could find a nice apartment to rent along the lines of the value you get in the US I wouldn't buy or think about buying anything in this country. The rents in my area are shamefull at around £1k for a nasty 2 br bungalow with fetid carpet, tobacco stained curtains and lots of black mould around the avacado bath suite, garden with cracked pavers for a patio, weeds everywhere and garage full of damp and rusty bits of metal from lawnmowers that died in the last century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ZIK-1k98w

Edited by Realistbear

The people need to expect more for less in this country. If everything was reduced by one third it would be in alignment with most other places on a value-for-money basis.

We have put up with rip off prices, poor quality and nasty service for far too long. I am not sure how this country keeps going and why on earth it is the number one target for migrants, fake asylum seekers and the high plains drifters.

Housing in this country must be among the worst value for money in the Western world if not THE worst. If I could find a nice apartment to rent along the lines of the value you get in the US I wouldn't buy or think about buying anything in this country. The rents in my area are shamefull at around £1k for a nasty 2 br bungalow with fetid carpet, tobacco stained curtains and lots of black mould around the avacado bath suite, garden with cracked pavers for a patio, weeds everywhere and garage full of damp and rusty bits of metal from lawnmowers that died in the last century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ZIK-1k98w

the problem with the UK is that all the press is at it. so they talk house prices up as much as they can and when it becomes too difficult to talk prices up they talk rent up. until this is resolved there will be no change. all it would take is for someone to be allowed to air the obvious (that most if not all journalists - and politicians - have BTL and therefore cannot be trusted to be impartial). the sheeple would very quickly realize and demand an inquiry into why all the papers and TVs are ramping all this up.

after all this time, I am yet to hear or read that house prices are too high, yet it is the obvious problem. the sad thing is, if house prices are not allowed to fall 20-25% then rents will have to increase by as much or more to return to decent yields. I do not believe the quoted 6.8% yield in the guardian article.

The BTLs are trying to put up their rents using the old shortage of supply con again. But I think a big threat to them will actually be the hotels.

When you see the amount people pay in rent. Then notice fewer people taking holidays. The hotels only have to drop their prices a bit, and it might just be the answer!

We'll all end up living like the Major!

I was just saying the same thing to my partner on Thursday. We watched an episode of Wycliffe where the police were staying in a hotel and one of them said what is the future for a place like this with so many second homes now. Then I started thinking of a situation where lots of hotels cannot get enough holiday bookings so they revert to have long term residential guests. When you look at house prices, council tax, energy bills, water bills it's going to become cost effective. I had a quick look at the USA and saw some rooms you can rent with kitchens, cable tv, wifi etc for $32 a night. You spend a lot of nights somewhere like that for the cost of a slave box in the UK. I'm starting to think that possessions like furniture are a bind.

I am surpised some of the large US apartment firms such as post http://www.postproperties.com/ havn't built blocks in the UK yet. As others have posted in the US its easy to get an imaculate place to rent for a good price and be treated well by the company. Plus in most states the laws mandate new carpets/paint etc every year.

So much of this is the way people are brainwashed here to thing they "have" to buy to get on the ladder. With the coming drops in prices I think sentiment will change.

Its happened a few times, there are a couple who live at a Holiday inn as it is cheaper than renting. Another bloke in the 90s spend 8 years living in a hotel at Gatwick as it was considerably cheaper than renting. Curiously enough in HK you can get an ensuite room in a hotel (its not going to be very big though) with WIFI and aircon for $115 HK a night add in long term discount and you can get it for $90 a night ~ $2700 a month. A smidgen below the box room type rents!

I'm starting to think that possessions like furniture are a bind.

Agreed. I used to (and looks like I'm going to revert back) live by a four bags rule. Whereby everything I owned had to fit in four bags. (Two motorbike paniers a ruck sack and a inner top box bag) I lived like this for years.

Today I'm pretty adverse to large objects which are difficult to move around, hence I'm sitting on a plastic patio chair using a very broken patio table. TSHTF I can be gone in about 20 minutes.

Agreed. I used to (and looks like I'm going to revert back) live by a four bags rule. Whereby everything I owned had to fit in four bags. (Two motorbike paniers a ruck sack and a inner top box bag) I lived like this for years.

Today I'm pretty adverse to large objects which are difficult to move around, hence I'm sitting on a plastic patio chair using a very broken patio table. TSHTF I can be gone in about 20 minutes.

Why live like that when you can live better for little cost?

I have two settees, one fabric I got for free from my local pub, I heard they were replacing them and asked to have the settee, they delivered it for me too. The other is leather which I picked up for £25, only a year old.

You can still have your four bags at the ready, but have a furnished pad to store them in.

... why on earth it is the number one target for migrants, fake asylum seekers and the high plains drifters.

It isn't. (Probably lies from the MSM to push HPI :D)

I am used to renting from the pros in the US and it was a painless and simple process.

Agree with that completely. Renting an apartment in an all rental block in the US and Canada is a good experience with none of the grief you mostly get in the UK. It's worth pointing out though that rental laws in North America are generally much more in favour of the renter than of the landlord though, which accounts for some of the difference in experience. A random example being that, in Toronto, the only form of security deposit allowed is to charge the last month's rent in advance in case of someone running off half way through the lease. If a landlord wants to get money off a tenant for damage after they've left, then they have to sue them for it.