House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

People Are Shrugging Off The Recession

Just saw a spokesman from the Oxford Street retailers association on Sky News.

He said that it will be a good Christmas for trade because...

1, Barclays say it will be.

2, People who have not lost their jobs, particularly those with tracker mortgages, are fed up after two years of recession and are shrugging it off.

:rolleyes:

He's not going to stand there on the busiest shopping day of the years and say:

"No one is spending - don't bother coming to the shops!".

People are sheeple. If they think others are spending they will go and do likewise.

There's no recession for the rich, just for the rest of us.

But look at the number of shops holding sales in the run-up to Christmas. That's not a sign of a healthy retail trade, is it? Not from the shopkeeper's viewpoint anyway.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

Just saw a spokesman from the Oxford Street retailers association on Sky News.

He said that it will be a good Christmas for trade because...

They don't allow recessions down south they make sure they are contained up north.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Feeling wealthy? Splash out on a good Christmas

Feeling poor? Well I'm not letting it ruin Christmas, I'll pay later.

What does splash out mean...over indulgence, excess food, and excess purchase of excessiveness..would that make anyone feel good about themselves?

Feeling poor now, why extend the pain by feeling even poorer later?

Spend what you can afford and let others know that is what can be afforded...it is the thought that counts. ;)

Who may I ask would have a vested interest in people overspending on things they don't have the money to pay for?

There's no recession for the rich, just for the rest of us.

But look at the number of shops holding sales in the run-up to Christmas. That's not a sign of a healthy retail trade, is it? Not from the shopkeeper's viewpoint anyway.

Debenhams have has a sale on for the last 2 years straight :lol:

I imagine trying to pay off the billion or so quid they owe to their creditors isn't going too well for them at the moment!

These sort of news broadcasts are pure propaganda. Look at the state of your average high street, closed down shops and offices, pre-xmas sales, during xmas sales, post xmas sales, January sales, February sales, March sales etc., hardly a picture of brusque business.

I expect to see some big shocks in the new year with some major retailers going under, things are far from good out there.

Edited by General Congreve

:lol:

T*sser.

+1000

I'd better rush out and by an overpriced shoebox right now because someone calling himself johny storm is questioning my ability to afford one... :lol::lol::lol:

Who may I ask would have a vested interest in people overspending on things they don't have the money to pay for?

brighthouse.gif

logo_provident_personal_credit.gif

wonga-logo.png

Edited by Clocker

Why do people (including people on the BBC) keep going on about the recession.

We're not in recesssion.

Classic, I have noticed that as well, perhaps they don't want people to think beyond a recession....

Classic, I have noticed that as well, perhaps they don't want people to think beyond a recession....

What they mean is there will be a recession if people stop spending and borrowing. ;)

+1000

I'd better rush out and by an overpriced shoebox right now because someone calling himself johny storm is questioning my ability to afford one... :lol::lol::lol:

Actually, that's a pretty standard sales ploy often used by EAs. It's called insult selling, they insult you by saying you can't afford whatever they're selling in the hope that you will buy it to prove them wrong :rolleyes:.

Mr Stormfront is sounding more like an EA every day, perhaps he's got a new job.