House Price Crash Forum

Revealed: How 1.4 Million Spent A Decade On The Dole Under Labour

Think back to your time at school.

I bet there was at least 1 in every 20 pupils who you could not see ever holding down a job or coping in daily life.

This is what happens to those people.

Let's hope CCC doesn't see this, otherwise we're in for another 25-pager...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1339346/Revealed-How-1-4-million-spent-decade-dole-Labour.html

'The extent of long-term unemployment under Labour has been exposed by official figures showing that millions have languished on benefits for years.

An astonishing 1.4million people pocketed out-of-work payments for at least nine of the ten years between 1999 and 2009.

And more than half of the 10.7million who received one of the three main jobless payments during this period stayed on them for more than a year.

Ministers are launching a new work programme to reduce long-term unemployment. Coming on stream next year, it will offer tailored support to those who have been on Jobseeker’s Allowance or incapacity benefit for many years.

Other recent figures, apparently released to underline the case for welfare reform, show that almost 1.5million Britons have never done a day’s work in their lives.

Around 800,000 people aged between 25 and 64 have never had a job of any kind, and a further 600,000 under-25s are not in education or training.

The Office for National Statistics reported earlier this year that in one in five households – 4million homes – no one works at all.'

aside from all the Wail faux outrage,there's a serious point,that what started as a system of unemployment insurance has become something way bigger,creating dependency,not only on the part of claimants but alos the LL's who have been able to bleed the HB system dry,and the banks who have profited from this taxpayer support.

But how on earth,unless house prices/council tax collapse,can an unskilled labourer,actually afford to raise a family independently from the state?They can't.Min rent is £400 pcm,council tax £80/90 min.plus bills £100 pcm.

Unitl the hosuing and local govt ponzi's are unwound,there will be no recovery.

How much between 1989-1999?

I doubt much different, although then i guess there were a lot less debt financed non-jobs to hide the true scale of issues within the economy.

One thing i want to know is who worked the fields before the Poles got here. Fields around here are full of them.

Maybe we can as a nation work to remove all the 'excuses' for such unempoyment.

It's no good hogging a 60 hour week job (effectively the wage of two people on a four day week) whilst whinging about those who work none. Cause and effect.

To make work pay, IDS will have to:

1. Actually make real work available

2. Scap tax credits and raise the income tax threshold

3. Tighten controls on illegal/legal immigrant labour

4. Reduce house prices/rents by about 50%

The probability of just one of the above happening, never mind all four is slight to say the very least.

One thing i want to know is who worked the fields before the Poles got here. Fields around here are full of them.

There was probably a time when doing that sort of thing could buy you a house , however small.Not in the past 10 years of course , the poles do it because they live 10 or more to one house.

There was probably a time when doing that sort of thing could buy you a house , however small.Not in the past 10 years of course , the poles do it because they live 10 or more to one house.

Upmystreet.net/com web thingy:

1998 one neighbour’s house sold for £23k

2003, I bought in a few doors down for £68k

2007 Next door sells for £112k (despite having no kitchen, and every single room requiring replastering/modernising etc).

Current mean rent for area: £550 p/m

This is why many British citizens have suddenly become lazy. It astounds me that on this site of all websites, this point gets continually missed.

Edited by PopGun

What amazes me than even in McJobs these days it seems employees need to be busy busy and even have reviews to assess their 'performance' as if they're some cow on a Stalinist co-operative farm.

I've been in companies where people in what should be nice little easy admin jobs have been signed off with stress from having too much to do. I know and have known quite a few intelligent people that now do little home businesses and complimentary therapy type stuff because they just get ill in most daily grinds.

So how some illiterate chav thug who only knows shagging, punch-ups and the sofa is supposed to last in any job is beyond me.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

Stay at home mums.

During the summer almost all the local mums who didn't work went off (kids went to!) to bean picking, fruit picking etc.

The problem is it's hard work and you might break your plastic nails.

Stay at home mums.

During the summer almost all the local mums who didn't work went off (kids went to!) to bean picking, fruit picking etc.

The problem is it's hard work and you might break your plastic nails.

Or work paid, and they didn't have to worry about seasonal work effecting their ability to put a roof over their head, or how the extra few quid effects hubby's tax credits.

Playing the lazy card is just plain......lazy.

Edited by PopGun

It would have been 10 times worse under the tories. Thatcher sucks etc.

Probably - the thug chav class was 100% born in the 80s when Thatcher ******ed the poor. My mum worked in education and saw how in a few years the poor went from people with less money but much the same values as anyone else to feral yobs.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

Probably - the thug chav class was 100% born in the 80s when Thatcher ******ed the poor. My mum worked in education and saw how in a few years the poor went from people with less money but much the same values as anyone else to feral yobs.

Nope there wasn't any unemployment in the eighties, no such thing as single mums, or Chavs. Thatcher was great etc.

:rolleyes:

I have been plodding the streets with a bar/pub work CV this week.

This is West London.

1. In all the places I visited I was greeted by young Europeans, no English, not one. Polish, Spanish, French, Irish. No Germans.

2. It was very, very quiet, places are empty.

I can't begrudge them their jobs, but if they all went home tomorrow I would have a job by now, easily. Mind you I wouldn't begrudge someone from the UK having bar work in France so...

But do I really even have a chance at a dish washing job?

Maybe we can as a nation work to remove all the 'excuses' for such unempoyment.

It's no good hogging a 60 hour week job (effectively the wage of two people on a four day week) whilst whinging about those who work none. Cause and effect.

To make work pay, IDS will have to:

1. Actually make real work available

2. Scap tax credits and raise the income tax threshold

3. Tighten controls on illegal/legal immigrant labour

4. Reduce house prices/rents by about 50%

The probability of just one of the above happening, never mind all four is slight to say the very least.

they'll never do that, they are doing away with social housing and the cost of this is high, we need 60% social housing in this country, we need to remove tax credits, tax credits costs us 7 times more than thos on jsa, the paymentgs are larger, child benefit.

I watched a programme called "The house that made me" last night.

It was the second in the series, the first was about Boy George, last nights was about Michael Barrymore.

He grew up in Bermondsey in the late 50's / early 60's.

His dad was a violent alcoholic who walked out on his family after having pointed a shotgun at them and considered killing them all.

His friends were armed robbers, most of the local industry seemed to be stealing from the docks and selling it on.

I think we tend to sugar coat the past quite a bit. It has always been a bit shitty for the poorest in society.

I watched a programme called "The house that made me" last night.

It was the second in the series, the first was about Boy George, last nights was about Michael Barrymore.

He grew up in Bermondsey in the late 50's / early 60's.

His dad was a violent alcoholic who walked out on his family after having pointed a shotgun at them and considered killing them all.

His friends were armed robbers, most of the local industry seemed to be stealing from the docks and selling it on.

I think we tend to sugar coat the past quite a bit. It has always been a bit shitty for the poorest in society.

I also think people can exaggerate both the good and the bad when talking about the past.

I grew up in East London and If I had £1 for everyone who told me their dad/uncle/cousin/brother worked for the krays I would be living in a paid for mansion right now.

This is pretty true. There was a massive increase in children born into deprivation after 1979. I'm sure Thatcher's policies were something to do with it but also has to be mentioned that the same phenomenon happened in other countries (the USA, Australia, France) at the same time (I'm recalling this from an Economist article I read a couple of years back). Some people have pointed out that 1980 was about the time that globalisation really started to kick in. Basically the value of manual work fell rapidly in the rich world after the 70s and that meant the low skilled section of the workforce rapidly went from being able to bargain for a half decent living to being able to bargain for jack.

I also think people can exaggerate both the good and the bad when talking about the past.

I grew up in East London and If I had £1 for everyone who told me their dad/uncle/cousin/brother worked for the krays I would be living in a paid for mansion right now.

No. You would have had your legs broken and your bank account emptied by the one who actually did work for them.

This is pretty true. There was a massive increase in children born into deprivation after 1979. I'm sure Thatcher's policies were something to do with it but also has to be mentioned that the same phenomenon happened in other countries (the USA, Australia, France) at the same time (I'm recalling this from an Economist article I read a couple of years back). Some people have pointed out that 1980 was about the time that globalisation really started to kick in. Basically the value of manual work fell rapidly in the rich world after the 70s and that meant the low skilled section of the workforce rapidly went from being able to bargain for a half decent living to being able to bargain for jack.

Not just this, but from the 80s onwards we were all told to become selfish "yobs." Some of us get to do it in suits. Others in clothing from JJB Sports. But what do I care? I have loadsa muney.

Very very good post.