House Price Crash Forum

Global Warming Infomercials

Pole

HOLA441

A few months ago I remember watching many infomercials about how our climate is warming up and the UK will look differently that it does now, all polar bears will die out, kids won't see snow anymore, etc...

Why have they stopped broadcasting them now?

I think the message should be broadcast especially in winter to remind people to turn their heaters down and stop burning oil (to stop the planet warming up!). :lol:

OK. Here are some of them - bring them back I say! :P

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I'm not convinced we're warming up the planet significantly with CO2 emissions, but I am convinced we're using up finite fossil fuels at an increasing and alarming rate.

Yes we are! And that will be a problem!

But I quite like Mr Pole's postings,

and I miss the "drowning puppy", but I don't think I ever saw it broadcast more than 3 times!

A true failure of propaganda if I ever saw one, and I think I did!

Why isn't this shown to my children now, to make tham nag me to get rid of that incandescant bulb in the shed? :huh:

HOLA449

Why isn't this shown to my children now, to make tham nag me to get rid of that incandescant bulb in the shed? :huh:

The 'incandescant bulb' UK-wide ban is a bit silly.

The incandescant bulbs work great in the UK as they produce warm, yellow light and most importantly heat.

Most people who replaced all incandescant bulbs in the house with those energy saving ones have to put their thermostat up by 2 degrees.

Even if we believe in the CO2 effect, most traditional devices/products are far more greener than we think. Basically, producing any electronic components requires a lot of resources and they are very difficult to recycle (fluorescent bulbs or batteries in an electric car).

incandescant bulb vs fluorescent bulb

analogue radio vs digital radio

record player vs CD/mp3 player

vinyl record vs compact disc

car kept for 20 years vs electric car replaced every 10 years

Even steam trains are far greener than many of us think when you consider all factors such as durability (a good loco can last decades) and the fuel handling infrastructure.

HOLA4410

The 'incandescant bulb' UK-wide ban is a bit silly.

The incandescant bulbs work great in the UK as they produce warm, yellow light and most importantly heat.

Most people who replaced all incandescant bulbs in the house with those energy saving ones have to put their thermostat up by 2 degrees.

Even if we believe in the CO2 effect, most traditional devices/products are far more greener than we think. Basically, producing any electronic components requires a lot of resources and they are very difficult to recycle (fluorescent bulbs or batteries in an electric car).

incandescant bulb vs fluorescent bulb

analogue radio vs digital radio

record player vs CD/mp3 player

vinyl record vs compact disc

car kept for 20 years vs electric car replaced every 10 years

Even steam trains are far greener than many of us think when you consider all factors such as durability (a good loco can last decades) and the fuel handling infrastructure.

Yep.

I work on models of UK energy usage policy, and we have to include a heat replacement effect i.e. extra energy that will be used by consumers in heating to replace the heat that would have been produced by the replace product. The figure we use for domestic lighting is 86%. And for this 14% saving in energy usage (actually it is less as it is the saving in the difference), we put little packages of mercury dust in every home that don't work particularly well.

Never let facts get in the way of a good bit of politics.

HOLA4411

http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/awap/rain/index.jsp?colour=colour&time=latest&step=0&map=percent&period=cyear&area=nat

Well the Australian drought is over , but with a planet this size it makes sense that somewhere in the world there will be drought and somewhere there will be floods - always has been always will be.

It's the media reporting on these events that can sway public opinion as to whather the climate is 'changing' , the more repoting on isolated events from the mass media the more the public will believe in the climate con.

Archived