House Price Crash Forum
Jester

What's It All About?

I have to admit to having quite a few properties on my watch list. But today there's lots of activity - updates and such. But quite a few of the prices have been amended upwards. What's that all about? Any ideas?

I have to admit to having quite a few properties on my watch list. But today there's lots of activity - updates and such. But quite a few of the prices have been amended upwards. What's that all about? Any ideas?

Why dont you phone the agents and enquire about the house at the lower price.

If they say its gone up, then tell em to stick it.

Edited by bumpy

Look on Zoopla where you will find recent pricing actvity. I am tracking a few houses in the Brighton area and see a few drops of around 5k over the last few weeks. No sign of increases in the SE that I can see. But if you are up north the job losses and general loss of confidence may be causing some to increase prices as a way of placating their worst fears.

Why dont you phone the agents and enquire about the house at the lower price.

If they say its gone up, then tell em to stick it.

Hahaha that sounds like a good game to play over the Christmas holidays.

As others may have said, I think sellers believe by initially naming a higher price which would then be reduced to a lower price, they are creating the illusion there is a bargain to be had. I think they believe they can cheat the recent declines in asking prices by naming a higher price first.

I've seen some cases here too. Weird.

"Tesco" strategy?? Preparing the ground for Spring's "price cuts"?

Maybe, but this is starting to feel like 2008 again.

Really?

I'm not seeing the same extraordinary state support that we saw in late 2008 and early 2009.

Really?

I'm not seeing the same extraordinary state support that we saw in late 2008 and early 2009.

I just have this nagging feeling that more dissapointment lies around the corner.

The above posts regarding 'pricing up' for the spring burst sounds feasible, but it also sounds like the hundred or so other theories and predictions I've read on this board before.

More than happy to be wrong though.

I just have this nagging feeling that more dissapointment lies around the corner.

The above posts regarding 'pricing up' for the spring burst sounds feasible, but it also sounds like the hundred or so other theories and predictions I've read on this board before.

More than happy to be wrong though.

Yes, I fear this also.

In my part of the World every house price index rise has resulted in asking prices going up but never the same when the indexes show drops.

Likewise, when Spring, Easter, August, Sept, January comes it appears to be seen as an excuse to raise asking prices even if houses have stood on the market for months and even years.