House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aa3

Economy Of Iran Vs Uk

Iran is usually portrayed as a backward third world nation, with regressive leaders. Yet a great amount of progress has been made by them over the last few decades.

Iran population: 74.7 million

UK population: 62.0 million

Median Age in Iran: 27.6

Median Age in the UK: 40.5

For example electric production in the UK(billion kilowatt hours):

1980: 264

1990: 298

2000: 352

2008: 361

Electric production in Iran:

1980: 21

1990: 55

2000: 112

2008: 201

Automobile production in the UK:

2000: 1.8 million

2005: 1.8 million

2009: 1.1 million

Automobile production in Iran:

2000: 0.3 million

2005: 0.8 million

2009: 1.4 million

Twigs in vases UK = 60m

Twigs in vases in Iran = 0

Huge untapped market in Iran. I'm surprised Tesco, McDonalds, Gok Wan and X-factor have no got in first.

Iran is usually portrayed as a backward third world nation, with regressive leaders. Yet a great amount of progress has been made by them over the last few decades......

Hmmmmm....Sounds like a real life Shangri-La!!

Oh, wait....

20080725_public_hanging_iran.jpg

388 people out of a population of 74 million doesn't sound that bad. I'm against the death penalty, but a nation of Iran's population will have thousands of murders a year.

Got some more numbers for you guys..

Cement production(a great look at real building going on):

Iran 2005: 65 million tonnes

UK 2005: 11 million tonnes

Steel production:

Iran 2008: 10.0 million tonnes

UK 2008: 13.5 million tonnes

Hmmmmm....Sounds like a real life Shangri-La!!

Oh, wait....

20080725_public_hanging_iran.jpg

Am I missing something here? They're simply keeping a scaffolder and signwriter employed and reducing the prison population. True? :lol:

Iran is usually portrayed as a backward third world nation, with regressive leaders. Yet a great amount of progress has been made by them over the last few decades.

For example electric production in the UK(billion kilowatt hours):

1980: 264

1990: 298

2000: 352

2008: 361

Electric production in Iran:

1980: 21

1990: 55

2000: 112

2008: 201

Automobile production in the UK:

2000: 1.8 million

2005: 1.8 million

2009: 1.1 million

Automobile production in Iran:

2000: 0.3 million

2005: 0.8 million

2009: 1.4 million

Becasue UK has also become more energy efficient so use lets electric. Also, UK buys electric from France et all. So, total usage much higher.

Automobile... I would buy Japanese/German but if given a choice, I would buy UK over Iran made car...

Becasue UK has also become more energy efficient so use lets electric. Also, UK buys electric from France et all. So, total usage much higher.

Automobile... I would buy Japanese/German but if given a choice, I would buy UK over Iran made car...

The UK is clearly a more developed, more industrialized and much wealthier country than Iran in 2010. What is impressive to me is how far Iran has come economically since 1980.

There was really no comparison in 1980. The UK produced 12.6 times the electricity as Iran. In 2008 we produced 1.8 times more.

I'd also say Iran appears to be using the Japanese strategy of building up industry behind a wall of protections.

Edited by aa3

So what's the point?

Do we have a buying opportunity in Tehran real estate?

Is it Caspian beachfront?

I think you will find Tehran is more expensive proportionally than the UK

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/business/worldbusiness/28iht-ihousing.4.13287657.html

Really is a joke even in countries where there are not enough executivespeople to fill executive apartments...even if they gave one to each executive free.

For HPI you just need corrupt banks and cheap money you dont even need customers

Am I missing something here? They're simply keeping a scaffolder and signwriter employed and reducing the prison population. True? :lol:

Its a picture from thirty years ago, right? itt looks like the southern states of the USA fifty years ago, with modernisation they execute their 'criminals' behind close doors, although if the Tea Party get in power their will probably state doing it in public again.

The US/Israel haven't invaded Iran becuase it would not be a military push over. I studied my engineering degree with an Iranian, he probably went into their missile industry, the two other English students went into the defence industry in the UK, tanks and torpedo's. With a developed economy (which it has) and western educated engineers and a focus there is no reason why their missile technology claims should be disbelieved (its often laughed at by western media).

In fact the 'Third world' should not be underestimated, some places like Africa will probably always be a basket case, however some countries will catch up to the West and are already there in some cases. Uruguay is now officially classified as first world, for example.

Executions in 2009

Iran 388+

UK Nil

The UK is lagging well behind!

Number of people killed in US & UK led UN sanctions against Iraq prior to Iraq war:

1.3 million (source: UN)

Number of people killed in US & UK invasion of Iraq:

100,000 - 1 million (source: US leaked cables, Lancet, OBR)

Its a picture from thirty years ago, right? itt looks like the southern states of the USA fifty years ago, with modernisation they execute their 'criminals' behind close doors, although if the Tea Party get in power their will probably state doing it in public again....

No, it was taken within the last 6 years. The US State was not engaging in mass public hangings in 1960.

Please wipe the foam from your chin and provide evidence that shows the Tea Party advocates public executions

Please wipe the foam from your chin and provide evidence that shows the Tea Party advocates public executions

It's very simple really. Anyone, anywhere, at any time, who makes whatever daft claim about the TP, is just trying to cover up the fact that they themselves are big statists, i.e. friends of the causers of the present crisis.

I dont think people think Iran (or Iraq, at least until we got there) are backward or anything. I always thought they were the moderate ones.

Its Afghanistan and Pakistan that are the backward inbred ones.

We seem to be making the mistake in thinking that progressive in terms of industrial development equals progressive in terms of human rights and even handed laws.

Germany in the 1930's and 40's would clearly be an example of where such an analogy is incorrect. Today North Korea and China are ahead in many areas of industrial development but are hardly models of civillised behaviour.

I visited Iran in 1999, and from what I have read things have changed for the worse since then (politically that is).

At the time there were some interesting stats:

- Iran had the most refugees in the world and did not ask for any international assitance. For exmaple, Kurds would flee Turkey and Iraq and settle in Iran

- Iran was responsible for about 80% of the world's drug busts by volume, again, without any international assitance.

I think one of the significant reasons for the current issues was failure to lift the sanctions when Iran had a progressive government (around the time of my visit), This failure allowed the election of Ahmadinejad, and since then it has been all downhill. Most people assume that the elections are a farce, but his original election was reasonably deomocractic and a result of the people's wish for economic growth which had been constrained by sanctions.

Generally though, in comparison with much of the Middle-East, Iran is a developed and educated society.

I dont think people think Iran (or Iraq, at least until we got there) are backward or anything. I always thought they were the moderate ones.

Its Afghanistan and Pakistan that are the backward inbred ones.

I never have visted Iran, although I'm told it's quite a lot nicer then we are led to believe!

I have visited Pakistan several times, and the posh bits are quite safe!

Unfortunately I didn't see much of the posh bits, but I came back unharmed, so it wasn't that bad!

We seem to be making the mistake in thinking that progressive in terms of industrial development equals progressive in terms of human rights and even handed laws.

Germany in the 1930's and 40's would clearly be an example of where such an analogy is incorrect. Today North Korea and China are ahead in many areas of industrial development but are hardly models of civillised behaviour.

Thats right. I am talking about progress in terms of material gains in economics.

Often more human rights and power to the legal system can inhibit industrial progress. Like China had to relocate an astonishing 1.2 million people to build the three gorges dam. The dam has a big economic impact, and in addition protects the nation in the future against flooding on the Yangtze.