House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kyoto

Freelancing

I'm considering a change of direction in my work to more of a freelance model.

What I'd like to do if possible is work with a number of companies selling time by the day or hour.

Crucially, this would be working from home and structured in my own time. The idea would be to get a bit of time and location independence and also freedom to work on my own projects and products.

Has anyone got any experience with this such as how easy it was to source clients or any other potential things to watch out for? Good or bad experiences?

Being a wage slave sucks and contracting is good, but inherently risky and bad on the lifestyle.

If relevant, the area I am looking at is SalesForce.com development and administration. Seems to be a fairly hot area and people using SalesForce are obviously comfortable buying outsourced services.

i am looking at a similar scenario to yours (but openerp rather than salesforce).

I would say the key to competitiveness is living somewhere with low overheads, this could be either somewhere rural in the UK or somewhere in sunnier parts of southern/eastern europe.

important caveat, don't become over reliant on one client!

I'm considering a change of direction in my work to more of a freelance model.

What I'd like to do if possible is work with a number of companies selling time by the day or hour.

Crucially, this would be working from home and structured in my own time. The idea would be to get a bit of time and location independence and also freedom to work on my own projects and products.

Has anyone got any experience with this such as how easy it was to source clients or any other potential things to watch out for? Good or bad experiences?

Being a wage slave sucks and contracting is good, but inherently risky and bad on the lifestyle.

If relevant, the area I am looking at is SalesForce.com development and administration. Seems to be a fairly hot area and people using SalesForce are obviously comfortable buying outsourced services.

Salesforce = bigco. People pay bigco prices because they want bigco backing. Meaning someone who can be paged on Friday night when $everyone-else is drunk. Noone expects that of a contractor subject to sickness, holiday, personal life, etc. Don't expect to walk into their market, even if you have both technical and marketing skills.

Having said that, if you see a niche in non-critical work (like development projects) and if you have visible enough credentials to sell yourself then go for it! You evidently value your freedom!

Oh, and a Plan B is a good idea. If you fail to make money, you may end up where I was in about 2003 with savings gone and an income lower than rent alone but denied benefits because your earnings exceeded the £60/week dole.

FWIW, my fortunes improved in 2004 and reached higher-rate tax in 2005. I attribute that largely to the arrival of ADSL in 2004, giving me a decent presence and ability to work online without two hands tied behind my back. YMMV.

I attribute that largely to the arrival of ADSL in 2004, giving me a decent presence and ability to work online without two hands tied behind my back. YMMV.

I got ADSL in 1999, allowed me to shut a 20K per year office.