House Price Crash Forum
Kyoto

Scotland, Wales, Northern And Republic Of Ireland

How do you guys feel Scotland, Wales, Northern and Republic of Ireland stack up compared to England as a place to live?

Apart from The Masked Tulip, it's not something that seems to be discussed in these parts. Which is surprising as the appealing differences are there on the surface.

• Your money tends to go further on property in Scotland and Wales. NI and ROI in full on crash mode. Less of a bubble in the first place?
  • A better quality of life is available in terms of outdoor activities and space.
  • No university fees if you have lived in Scotland for three years. This must be appealing if you have 2 teenage kids and want to save yourselves or them £100k of debt.
  • Tiny council taxes in the ROI - not sure about the other areas.
  • Low cost airlines serve these places just as well as the UK nowadays.
  • Devolved power seems to lead to more pragmatic governance reflecting local needs and wants.
  • + All of the benefits of living in the UK in terms of the NHS, relatively high per capita income.

Well paying jobs are the obvious requirement and possible concern, but do you think that other parts of the UK and ROI compete with England as a place to settle? What are your experiences on how they compare to the post bubble England of today?

Edited by Kyoto

Some parts of Scotland are brilliant. Some are shit. Same as everywhere really. If you like outdoors stuff then living here is pretty good. Sometimes you get great skiing, amazing mountain biking, brilliant walks. Even stuff like surfing and all manner of other stuff all over the place. If you like Golf you cannot go wrong here. The standard of courses here and the value of money is pretty impressive when you compare tit to England. been told this numerous times by English. For example I play on a Championship Course, rated as one of the best in Scotland, for 570 all in per year. Only 40 minutes from Edinburgh too. Money going further ? Depends what part of Scotland. If you want somewhere with well playing jobs then no. Edinburgh especially. Easily one of the most overpriced places in the UK. Then again somewhere like Fife is much much cheaper - and you can commute to somewhere like Edinburgh quite simply and in less than 30 minutes - depending on various stuff of course. Wanting good earnign potential then I suppose it depends on what you do ? Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow are really about it. I am sure there is good money to be made elsewhere - however would not be easy. Unis are very good and if the plans come to fruition then yes could save a fortune on kids. Then again I think can be very hard to get into a good Uni here these days - for the same reasons. Council taxes ? Dont think they will be much, if any cheaper, than England. Airlines - yes can get to the main spots abroad just like England. However less choice of flights, last minute deals etc.. Still pretty good though. If you work in Finance and like the outdoors ? I cant think of many other places in Britain better suited to live than Edinburgh - or nearby.

Clearly they are hampered by this system both financially and psychologically and dependant (whether they like to admit it or not) on the ongoing largesse of the hated English.

That's how I see it at one level. They get to feed on the largesse, but seem somehow less tainted by the bubble, maintaining a bit more independence about how they run their affairs in ways that chime with me.

I will eventually buy right in the north of England, but the student fee debate today has made me look a few miles further North.

Glasgow - murder capital of europe

suicide rate in Scotland is twice that of the rest of the UK

what you save on a house gets eaten up by having to heat it for 11 months of the year

weather -absolutely appaling

public transport outside of main cities totally laughable

no option but to own a car and pay the highest petrol prices in the UK

midges eat you alive ,give me mozzies any day

food - deep fried heart attack and more expensive due to additional transport costs

life expectancy lower than the rest of the UK

politics-to the left of Fidel Castro

police-the most brutal basturts imaginable

winter - 5 hrs of daylight

and if that doesnt deter you can I just add

fukk aff ya english cant, were so mean we wont even share our misery with you

apart from that its pure magic

Hahaha! Sold!

The weather in ireland is PURE rubbish. I would consider moving back to SE england for that along. Crowding or not. Also job prospects are much better in SE. Flying out of here is a total pain in the ass. Other than that its nice.

How do you guys feel Scotland, Wales, Northern and Republic of Ireland stack up compared to England as a place to live?

• No university fees if you have lived in Scotland for three years. This must be appealing if you have 2 teenage kids and want to save yourselves or them £100k of debt.

Sadly the market will take its natural course and there will be ferocious competition for the older Unis in Scotland. You forgot to add that should you not fall into he 3-year residency category, then even as a Scot *the fees become only 3K per annum.

Glasgow, St Andrews, Edinburgh Unis for example are going to be choked with applications.

Hasn't every UK parent of moderate means already thought of this? :huh:

* Thought I'd put that in bold before the Barnet bigots start spitting their bile on this thread.

I think it's probably much of a muchness. Most of the pros and cons associated with living in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or Eire also apply to parts of England. Does the a suburb of Dublin offer a better outdoor life and more space than living in rural Dorset?

Local taxes might be less in Ireland but a lot of things are more expensive there and if you drive a 4x4 the tax is punitive unless it's classes as a van. That's why you see Subaru Imprezzas with the rear side-windows panelled over in Ireland!

There are beautiful parts of Scotland but there are 2 main issues with trying to live in any of them. The first is that they are only beautiful on short trips during the summer and are just horrible places to try and live through a winter. The second is that there is no descent work anywhere near.

The places is Scotland where there is a chance of well paying work are few, expensive to live in and far from beautiful.

Wales suffers a similar problem, many beautiful places but finding work near any of them is not easy. They have a milder climate but a more irritating accent :lol:

Ireland, have refused to go there many times and never will. I would rather live in turkey or somewhere that I find equally terrible than contemplate ireland.

There are beautiful parts of Scotland but there are 2 main issues with trying to live in any of them. The first is that they are only beautiful on short trips during the summer and are just horrible places to try and live through a winter.

I smell a wind up - however I will bite anyway. :lol:

Depends what you like. If you love the mountains and skiing/snowboarding ? During the winter I don't think living within a short drive of here would be horrible.

DSC_1469.JPG

glenshee.jpg

But yes if you hate the cold then perhaps not.

The places is Scotland where there is a chance of well paying work are few, expensive to live in and far from beautiful.

Few ? yes. Expensive to live ? Yes. Far from beautiful. :rolleyes:

edinburgh_004p.jpg

did I mention the wummin?

the majority are so ugly you could easily w*** yersel to death within 6 months

I emigrated after a mild cardiac arrest during a night out in Dundee

A bit OT, but here's what remains of maintenance grants for students in England:

Maintenance Grant

This grant is available to students who started their course after 1 September 2006 (except for the gap year students). It is income-assessed against household income so that from September 2008, students who have not studied in higher education before and: those on incomes of £25,000 or less get the full grant of £2,906

Link

Since this is assessed entirely on family income and not wealth, I would suggest that any middle income parents wanting to put their children through university without incurring tens of thousands of pounds in debt:

1. Work hard for a few years before the eldest is due to go to university, save up, pay down/off the mortgage, potentially STR.

2. In the year immediately before applying for university, dial back the work so that you earn less than £25k.

3. Be willing to move to the city where your child gets a university place so that they can live at home while studying.

4. Encourage your son/daughter to get a summer/Saturday job to pay for beer and kebabs.

Potential savings: (£3k per year maintenance grant + £8k per year living costs) x 3 years = £33k of taxed income, probably more like £40-45k gross and maybe £70-80k if you/your son/daughter were paying for it through debt with interest.

Worth it? For many families, absolutely.

Edited by Dorkins

Scotts to keep free university. Students from anywhere else in the EU to be entitled to free uni in scotland.

Students from England and Wales to pay full costs if studying in scotland.

English tax payers to subsidise all of scotland and the EU now :lol:

I'm trying to be pragmatic here as opposed to parochial - but it is worth noting that they would not survive within the UK's single currency system without massive transfers of wealth.

Clearly they are hampered by this system both financially and psychologically and dependant (whether they like to admit it or not) on the ongoing largesse of the hated English.

Is that the sort of level you were thinking about? :D

I agree... but not about the hated part... but it also must be said that for about a 1,000 years on and off England has, for various reasons, kept the Celtic countries down.

Wales, for example, is worse off than Scotland because Wales lost its own law-making establishment some 600 years ago and has never had a financial/banking system... which has a huge knock-on affect in terms of lack of understanding of business, economics, etc.

This can be seen the numerous financial disasters, time and time again, where elected an unelected officals in Cardiff waste hundreds of millions on all sorts of really bad schemes, ideas and businesses.

The tragedy for Wales is that from the mid 1800s until the end of WW2 it was the Kuwait and Saudi Arabia of coal and iron ore and copper. Virtually all that wealth never benefitted the people of Wales and whilst merchants, copper barons and iron ore/coal kings became fabulously wealthy most of the people of Wales remained in the most terrible poverty... and many still do... The only good thing that came out of it - but not much of a reward - was the Social movements that resulted in the birth of the NHS.

Wales' biggest problem is that it is controlled by a small Taffia and their mindset is, IMPO, one of using the Welsh language to milk Public Sector money in as many ways as possible.

I see no hope for Wales long-term economically... but, God, it is a stunningly beautiful country... but they have turned so much of Wales into National Parks that it increasingly a them and us mentality where only the super rich can afford to live in such places.

Sorry, I could rant about this for hours...

If any of you wish me to adopt your children so that they can go to Uni free please send me a photo of your missus, information on how compliant she is and, in return, I will email you a list of my demands... I mean, my interests... :o

• Your money tends to go further on property in Scotland and Wales. NI and ROI in full on crash mode. Less of a bubble in the first place?
    But less quality houses to spend the cash on if you do have it.
  • A better quality of life is available in terms of outdoor activities and space.
    But worse in terms on culture, lesuire, good jobs and quality of built environment
    Great but subsidised, and best uni's are in England
    Again subsidised?
    No they dont.
  • Devolved power seems to lead to more pragmatic governance reflecting local needs and wants.
    No it causes more wastes of money and confusion and minority groups gaining too much power..
  • + All of the benefits of living in the UK in terms of the NHS, relatively high per capita income.
    Income is generally lower

I'm from wales :rolleyes:

Edited by cardiffone

But less quality houses to spend the cash on if you do have it.

But worse in terms on culture, lesuire, good jobs and quality of built environment

Great but subsidised, and best uni's are in England

Again subsidised?

No they dont.

No it causes more wastes of money and confusion and minority groups gaining too much power..

Income is generally lower

I'm from wales :rolleyes:

Yeah, what he said.

I was thinking just last night how I was going to break it to my daughter that we're going to go to University with her. :lol:

:lol:

I was going to ask if you really think it is worth it, the costs of moving and hassles of changing/finding work. Then I thought of a girl I was speaking with the other day, she is doing a spanish degree in london and will be finishing with over £100k debt. I dont see how a spanish degree will ever repay that.

May be the best thing that parents will be able to do now is try and keep their kids debt free.

That is very good. Funnily enough I've been thinking along exactly those lines. People will do what the incentives drive you to do - won't they?

Perverse incentives, perverse behaviour. But think of the reward - £0.00 debt on graduation instead of £50k accumulating interest at RPI + 2.2%. They might not appreciate it at the time, but when they are in their late 20s they will realise that was a heck of a graduation present.

I tried Scotland for a couple of years recently.

Some good points and some bad.

Before you go there I would suggest changing your name by deed poll to something tartan and going to night school to learn a Scottish accent just in case you have to deal with tradesmen etc. It wasn't a cheap place to live. If you think gas is expensive try heating oil and at least they can't steal gas out of your garden (something that will increase as it gets more expensive).

http://www.boilerjuice.com/heatingOilPrices.php

(hotairmail sorry for posting the link at least it wasn't the picture)

If you think gas is expensive try heating oil and at least they can't steal gas out of your garden (something that will increase as it gets more expensive).

http://www.boilerjuice.com/heatingOilPrices.php

(hotairmail sorry for posting the link at least it wasn't the picture)

Heating oil being delivered and having your cesspit cleared are usually two things that people do not think about when moving to the countryside.

Well you can cross South Wales off your list if low house prices and council tax are what you're after, especially in terms of house price to average wage ratio which must be the worst in the UK. Cardiff Airport's coverage is not great, and getting worse at the moment, and don't get me started on that glorified parish council that passes for devolved government.

Well you can cross South Wales off your list if low house prices and council tax are what you're after, especially in terms of house price to average wage ratio which must be the worst in the UK. Cardiff Airport's coverage is not great, and getting worse at the moment, and don't get me started on that glorified parish council that passes for devolved government.

What he said.

Heating oil being delivered and having your cesspit cleared are usually two things that people do not think about when moving to the countryside.

While I was up there my cousin had a problem with his septic tank. It took them ages to find it, needed a digger to take up the garden and part of the field next to his garden. He reckoned it cost a small fortune - luckily he was renting!

[but worse in terms on culture, lesuire, good jobs and quality of built environment

I'll just pick up on this point:

Culture? Merely something to district you from being stuck in a city miles from anywhere interesting. Great surroundings more than make up for that.

Leisure? Far more to do somewhere where you can get out and about.

Good jobs? Yes, you're right there. That's about the only reason I'm not in somewhere attractive and quiet, linked to the fact that most such places have been bought up as rich holiday home locations, and quiet, at least in England, is hard to find away from the extremes. Plenty of it in Scotland, as long as you don't need to actually make a living. I don't know enough about Wales or NI.

Quality of built environment? Don't see the issue here, to be honest. There's barely a place in the entire country that doesn't have a whole range.