House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Grosv

Housing Association Ramp

In my newsletter from Moat Housing (yes I'm in a shared ownership scheme - I know that makes me the spawn of satan but I didn't know any better 10 years ago) they had the following item -

The housing market has slowed in recent months as the scale of the government's spending cuts and tax rises to tackle the budget deficit has hit home to consumers. House prices have dropped back a little and new seem likely to end the year roughly flat compared to 12 months ago. The new governments's emergency budget in June and Comprehensive Spending Review in October detailed some of the biggest cuts in public expenditure seen since before the Second World War, together with tax rises like the increase in VAT due in January. Nearly 350,000 public sector workers could lose their jobs over the next four years and most households will see their budgets squeezed one way or another.

So 2011 will probably not be a vintage year for housing. The general view among commentators is the market will continue to be flat or drift down during the year.

A lot will depend on how well the UK economy recovers. A strong recovery that creates jobs and gives people a stronger feeling of job security would obviously help the market. The Bank of England is also likely to keep interest rates low, which will help mortgage rates to continue at low levels.

While the immediate future for the housing market does not look great, it is worth remembering that most economists and market experts think house prices will be going up again by 2013, and potentially quite strongly.

For shared owners in reasonably secure jobs and with healthy finances, 2011 and 2012 could be a good time to buy additional shares in your homes before house prices start rising again.

Additional shares in your house are bought at the current market rate. I wonder why Moat wants its' tenants to buy sooner rather than later? :P

In my newsletter from Moat Housing (yes I'm in a shared ownership scheme - I know that makes me the spawn of satan but I didn't know any better 10 years ago) they had the following item -

Additional shares in your house are bought at the current market rate. I wonder why Moat wants its' tenants to buy sooner rather than later? :P

I reckon there'll be a lot of people and investors trying to offload in the next year or so.