House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lid

Watching Films On These New Tvs

Watching movies on this new TV, it's weird, proper Hollywood films and that, it's like watching some made for TV film/some crappy Australian daytime soap or docudrama

Can't explain it, not sure I like it or can get used to it, neither can the missus

Watched a bit of Mad Max the other night, Mel Gibson was in his 20's but it looked like it was filmed this year... :huh:

Other types of program seem normal

Is it just me?

Watching movies on this new TV, it's weird, proper Hollywood films and that, it's like watching some made for TV film/some crappy Australian daytime soap or docudrama

Can't explain it, not sure I like it or can get used to it, neither can the missus

Watched a bit of Mad Max the other night, Mel Gibson was in his 20's but it looked like it was filmed this year... :huh:

Is it just me?

It's a setting on the TV - makes everything look like video. It will be either some sort of "100hz cinema" enhancement, or auto-anti-blur enhancement or something. Play about with the picture settings menu and turn off the extra features one by one and you'll soon be back to normal. Or post the TV model here and I'm sure others will help.

Ended up with a TV (I didn't chose it, long story) which had a whole heap of these features and no way to turn the ****ing things off. The most obviously obnoxious one is edge enhancement.

My sister bought a fooking great Sony TV and I noticed this. Even DVD/Bluray films look like they've been shot on a prosumer camcorder.

I've seen that effect on someone's TV. Kind of ironic if you're watching something that's been shot on video, "filmized" in post-production and then all that work is promptly undone by the TV.

Some totally spot on answers so far.

I was a video editor at the BBC for many years and tellys messing with my work annoys me no end.

What you're seeing is the telly making extra frames of video that don't exist.

Instead of 1 frame every 1/25s, they're showing perhaps 4 frames at 1/100s each. One 'real' frame and three new ones generated from the first one, and the upcoming one.

This has the hideous effect of softening pictures and smoothing out motion. A total PITA.

Look in your manual and turn any picture processing off.

Is it just me?

Is this from a TV feed?

I find some broadcast channels are of a terrible quality compared to, say, BBC1 and 2 that are pretty good. The ITVs and Film 4 are bad where I am.