House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossybabe

Police Stabbed 'checking Bus Fare'

Two police officers were stabbed today by a man after they stopped him to check he had paid his bus fare, but found that he was wanted for recall to prison. The PC and PCSO were were part of an operation checking bus tickets. WTF? Isn't that what Inspectors are for? ph34r.gif

What are the police thinking? Is it to help the parlous crime clear-up rate? mad.gif

Two police officers were stabbed today by a man after they stopped him to check he had paid his bus fare, but found that he was wanted for recall to prison. The PC and PCSO were were part of an operation checking bus tickets. WTF? Isn't that what Inspectors are for? ph34r.gif

What are the police thinking? Is it to help the parlous crime clear-up rate? mad.gif

Checking bus fares on a privatised bus line?

My first thought too. They were probably trying to skive off from from having to deal with real crime and thought intimidating the general public into showing them their bus passes would be an easy way to spend the day.

I think bus companies and so on can hire policeman by the day?

Can I? I like the idea of a "pet plod" at my beck and call.

Sometimes you catch criminals just by doing routine checks. Bus companies don't have conductors anymore - so perhaps police were right in conducting the checks. We also don't have the full story, perhaps the bus driver thought he looked shifty and contacted HQ for police help, and the police used checking the bus fare as an excuse.

For similar reasons, cops just run dodgy-looking car plates through the registry, you never know who you might find driving that car. There are piles of anecdotes of how wanted criminals are caught with routine checks.

Yes, a bit more of the police state, but would you have liked to be on the same bus as that criminal (who may have been high on something).

I think you'll find it's a well known fact in police circles that Al Qaeda operatives are chronic fare dodgers.

It's either that, or there weren't any disabled student in the vicinity to harass ;)

I was only half listening when this came on the radio but I think there was something about the guy who did the stabbing being wanted by the police anyway.

Also nice to see that there's some more sniping at the police here and seemingly no criticism of the scum who knifed them. Hey, the police have behaved like heavy-handed thugs during some protests, so it's fine for them to get knived for something totally unrelated which might even be them doing what they're supposed to be here for. What lovely people you are.

There used to be a height and fitness requirement for enrollment in the plod

which were supposed to be to ensure they could handle trouble . I have not seen

any details on the attacked police , but the hat on the scene implies a female plod

and many seen on tv would not be out of place as friends of frodo ie totally incapable

of stopping an angry orc or oik or fare dodger .

more crazy PC stuff ...

rockhopper

I was only half listening when this came on the radio but I think there was something about the guy who did the stabbing being wanted by the police anyway.

Also nice to see that there's some more sniping at the police here and seemingly no criticism of the scum who knifed them. Hey, the police have behaved like heavy-handed thugs during some protests, so it's fine for them to get knived for something totally unrelated which might even be them doing what they're supposed to be here for. What lovely people you are.

Hear hear. The more police on buses doing this sort of thing the better. On London buses you are packed in with the scum of the earth and can't get away if they decide they want to kick off. A lot of violent assaults by neanderthals take place on buses, because decent people are forced into close proximity with them and can't easily get away when they take it into their tiny brains to turn violent. For example, a man was murdered a few years ago on the 43 bus because he asked some sub-human to stop throwing chips at people.

Err, could you post me to the post where anyone says "it's fine for them to get knived for something totally unrelated which might even be them doing what they're supposed to be here for"? I can't see that one myself.

Taking that chip off your shoulder for a minute, go and re-read the posts on this thread, most are questioning why the police were inspecting bus tickets not suggesting that it's good they were stabbed. Perhaps there is a legitimate reason, perhaps the police do this as a matter of routine?

The sniping is that the PRIVATISED bus line, which chose to run on a shoestring and only have the 1 member of staff aboard, locked behind protective screens, seems to now require PUBLIC police officers to do the job that an employee of the company should be doing.

While I am quite comfortable with the concept that police be promoting better behaviour in public, I feel strongly that if my bicycle being stolen is not an emergency and won't even result in a call back from local plod, that there is no reason that police should be used to enforce private companies collecting travel fares.

Guest UK Debt Slave

Incredible isn't it

Southern Central now employ 'Revenue Enforcement Officers on their trains. They are dressed in black uniforms with dayglo stab jackets, equipment belts and peaked hats just like coppers, and they they think they have the power to issue fines though I would question the legality of that.

What the fekk are policemen doing on buses checking tickets? Jaysus

It goes without saying for all decent people to condemn any sort of crime. My beef is with what the PCs were doing checking bus tickets.

Incredible isn't it

Southern Central now employ 'Revenue Enforcement Officers on their trains. They are dressed in black uniforms with dayglo stab jackets, equipment belts and peaked hats just like coppers, and they they think they have the power to issue fines though I would question the legality of that.

Sounds a bit like the UK version of the SS.ph34r.gif What did our forebears fight WW2 for, one wonders.

Err, could you post me to the post where anyone says "it's fine for them to get knived for something totally unrelated which might even be them doing what they're supposed to be here for"? I can't see that one myself.

The fact that a story about the police getting knifed invites a series of replies criticising the police's actions, and none at all about the scum who knifed them speaks volumes.

Taking that chip off your shoulder for a minute, go and re-read the posts on this thread, most are questioning why the police were inspecting bus tickets not suggesting that it's good they were stabbed. Perhaps there is a legitimate reason, perhaps the police do this as a matter of routine?

Exactly, most are having a go at what the police were doing rather than what the nutter with the knife was doing. That is thoroughly shocking. In these circumstances any questionable actions about the police's behaviour (and my other point was that from what I heard on the radio they were possibly there to do more than simply look at bus tickets) comes second to behaviour of someone who knifed them.

Exactly, most are having a go at what the police were doing rather than what the nutter with the knife was doing. That is thoroughly shocking. In these circumstances any questionable actions about the police's behaviour (and my other point was that from what I heard on the radio they were possibly there to do more than simply look at bus tickets) comes second to behaviour of someone who knifed them.

The nutter with a knife says it all.

The deeper problem is as we say, police doing things for large corporates that they won't do for individuals. You try telling them someone scarpered with your 1.50 change from a parking meter... not that you can get change from a parking meter, but the point stands.

+1

But in this time of austerity should tax money be used to enforce a revenue stream for a private company. What next will the police be searching people on the way out of shops to ensure they have paid for everything?

Indeed, their actions deserve to be constantly scrutinised and questioned, and really picked apart when they seem to overstep the mark, as they seem to be increasingly doing. I'm not defending simply checking bus tickets (but see below). My gripe here is the eagerness to concentrate on the lesser of two evils.

If there is a problem with scum on buses then it arguably is a police matter, and if they're also fare dodgers (which doesn't seem too unlikely) then the police turning up and throwing them off could be argued to not be unreasonable. I'd like to hear what they have to say about it before I make my mind up.

If there is a problem with scum on buses then it arguably is a police matter, and if they're also fare dodgers (which doesn't seem too unlikely) then the police turning up and throwing them off could be argued to not be unreasonable. I'd like to hear what they have to say about it before I make my mind up.

I think you have already made up your mind.

I object to the word scum, be it police or others. in this country people are innocent until proven guilty . The suspect is at the moment just an innocent passenger. The person who was stabbed is a casualty. It does not matter if he is a police officer or bus driver.

Totally agree but this wasnt British Transport Police, just normal local constabulary, not that it really matters.

I thought British Transport Police only dealt with the railways, although I'm not sure why I thought that.

Totally agree but this wasnt British Transport Police, just normal local constabulary, not that it really matters.

There's nothing normal about local constabulary.ph34r.gif

Incredible isn't it

Wrong.

The Police were called AFTER the criminal attacked the ticket inspectors.

He was slashed on the neck, so the stab vest was useless.