House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Are Tax-Payers' Still Paying For Christmas Shopping Day Offs?

Just out of interest, are some Public Sector workers still getting a day off to go Christmas shopping courtesy of the tax-payer?

I have never known how widespread this is within the Public Sector or at what level it is sanctioned? Is it arbitary or is it for everyone? I doubt the latter.

If it is still going on I wonder how many million it actually costs?

Yes they get picked up in a Rolls Royce, before being given a suitcase full of cash prised from the hands of entreprenuers before doing a trollydash around Harvey Nicks and taken home in time to club some seals before getting in their coffin shaped beds.

If you mean do some staff organise after work coach trips to shopping centres at their own expense then probably.

I don't think there are many public sector workers left on this site.

I was for 3 years.

We had to buy our own tea and coffee, pay for our own work-dos etc

In the private sector I've had free drinks, free parties, corporate tickets etc etc

If you mean do some staff organise after work coach trips to shopping centres at their own expense then probably.

Why would they do this anyway? Why not go in their car, at the weekend or day off or on their own?

Would this be arranged during office time at tax payers expense?

Edited by Money Spinner

MT in my current local authority and the previous one this simply did not happen. Of course I can't say this doesn't happen in other Government departments etc, but really, I can't imagine it is widespread, if at all.

Why would they do this anyway? Why not go in their car, at the weekend or day off or on their own?

Some people have friends at work and organise to spend time together outside of work.

People do the same thing at private sector workplaces - I see such things on the intranets of lots of my clients - public and private.

In the private sector I've had free drinks, free parties, corporate tickets etc etc

From the profits of sales, reinvested back into employees.... But all cut back now when money is tight.

MT in my current local authority and the previous one this simply did not happen. Of course I can't say this doesn't happen in other Government departments etc, but really, I can't imagine it is widespread, if at all.

Yes, I suspect it is more at departmental level... but then again, when I went to use the Wales National Pool in Swansea last year I was shocked to learn that the Council had arranged a discount for Council staff - why?

I was for 3 years.

We had to buy our own tea and coffee, pay for our own work-dos etc

That is the case where I am. I must admit I did some non statutory work for a local business the other day and was offered a bottle of Whiskey.........I refused and suggested they auctioned it for children in need, they actually raised £35.

I would think council workers would get on with the message that money is tight. They are human too, I wouldn't think they could sleep well at night knowing wilfully they are wasting money from the people they have serve day in day out. Of course there are bad eggs, but these must form the minority.

Yes, I suspect it is more at departmental level... but then again, when I went to use the Wales National Pool in Swansea last year I was shocked to learn that the Council had arranged a discount for Council staff - why?

My LA does the same, it's not widely used, at least not in my department. At a guess I would suggest it encourages staff to have a healthy lifestyle, and thus less long term sickness???

You're joking right?

You might get some perks at the top of the tree, but the ants don't get anything. Not even a Christmas Party unless you pay for it yourself :(

Don't get me wrong I have seen waste that you wouldn't believe but I think this is a bit of a myth.

Edited by 23rdian

I work p/t in the pub. sector on the front line, which incidentally had already been cut to the bone staff-wise before all the talk of cuts.

Never heard of shopping days off, and I've been there nearly 12 years.

Sickies also unheard of in my little corner of the pub. sector. One of my colleagues hasn't taken a single sick day in all those 12 years.

Probably by the sports and social club. But then again these are encouraged by employers both public and private as they are seen as beneficial to staff moral and cost peanuts. From what I recall the S&S club meet at lunctimes to organise events. To be fair the council did let them use paper, photocopiers, and notice boards for free :rolleyes:

For the average public sector worker the distraction from the usual tendium probably keeps them anywhere near sane.

BTW - I havent worked in the public sector for years <_<

Edited by Kurt Barlow

I work p/t in the pub. sector on the front line, which incidentally had already been cut to the bone staff-wise before all the talk of cuts.

Never heard of shopping days off, and I've been there nearly 12 years.

Sickies also unheard of in my little corner of the pub. sector. One of my colleagues hasn't taken a single sick day in all those 12 years.

You won't have - they never existed. I started work in the public sector over 20 years ago. This thread is just a reflection on the fantasy's of a certain mind set on HPC. Timak summed it up perfectly in his first post.

Its largely a female thing - a social jolly for work colleagues at the lower end of the PS foodchain.

Costs the taxpayer next to nothing - probably a few notices / emails.

These public sector parasites would be shocked if they moved to the private sector.

Where I work, my pay gets docked for blinking, inhaling or sneezing; nervous laughter is a disciplinary offence. My boss keeps a crow, which he uses to peck out the eyes of any employee who uses needless adjectives in company communications. Obviously going to the toilet is out of the question, and so we have an open trough running down the centre of our office which is also used to float away the corpses of any employee who dies on the job (although this is also a disciplinary offence). Also I am paid in flies and stale pastry.

Funnily enough surfing the net is fine, but only if it is this website.

EDIT: Shopping is one of the few things I like to do even less than working. If I could take a day off work to go shopping, I'd work.

Edited by (Blizzard)

Yep Mrs Pent up has a shopping day, ie an extra day holiday near Christmas. Everyone in her office gets it. She's in the NHS. I was shocked when she told me. It's not like they work weekends!

I've heard of this in retail where the employees work weekends and a lot of overtime in the run up to Christmas but this is joke TBH.

She used to work for the council and I don't think they got it there.

You won't have - they never existed. I started work in the public sector over 20 years ago. This thread is just a reflection on the fantasy's of a certain mind set on HPC. Timak summed it up perfectly in his first post.

Reality says otherwise.

Yep Mrs Pent up has a shopping day, ie an extra day holiday near Christmas. Everyone in her office gets it. She's in the NHS. I was shocked when she told me. It's not like they work weekends!

I've heard of this in retail where the employees work weekends and a lot of overtime in the run up to Christmas but this is joke TBH.

She used to work for the council and I don't think they got it there.

And what's her annual leave compared to the rest of the public sector? If it happens but just comes out of that then there isn't a problem; well, there is a problem, because if I was working there I'd rather use my holiday for something a little more interesting.

Anyway, who needs to spend the whole day shopping? Even assuming you've not just ordered everything off the internet, shopping consists of knowing what you want, going to the shop, buying it, and going home. That doesn't take long. Must be another one of those woman things derived from some parallel universe logic.