House Price Crash Forum
IP Newcomer

Mark Field Mp: Safe As Houses? Savings Should Not Always Be Bricks And Mortar

That is a good article. I think a number of Conservative MPs have a similar viewpoint. The housing minister, Grant Shapps, seems to hold a similar view and some of the policies IDS has put forward imply the same too.

Some good comments on the article, here's a couple I liked:

I'd rather have a property rented out as a source of income and capital guard than contribute to the fees of underperforming pension and other fund managers or leave my money in a current account that pays taxed interest at below the rate of inflation.

and

One of the problems of the crisis is that there has not been a crisis.

Anyone who can remmeber the period 1989 to say 1995 will remember the penal interest rates,the forest of estate agent boards and the collapse of property companies.By 1995 the excesses had been wrung out of the system.

This time the politicians and the bankers want to work miracle cures so low interest rates have prevented the crisis-for a time- and the necessary purgative effects.

Unreality rules and the PR driven Alice in Wonderland situation continues. There are no failed property companies,no forest of estate agent boards and certainly no 'sacked civil servants'.

The conclusion is that we need higher interest rates now (followed by total economic collapse, a sterling rout and gold to the moon ;) ).

Edited by General Congreve

A good article, although I don't understand this bit;

The real prize must be to promote a more vibrant and sought after quality private rental market, so that house building can thrive again after a decade in the doldrums.

Surely the way to encourage house building is to relax planning controls...

He will get sent for re-programming, this lot are the same as the last lot, HPI = Votes.

I don't know, the Conservatives actually seem to want to do things that are painful to the country in the short term for the longer term good ( even if they may not actually being doing the right things ). Perhaps because they know they can get the Liberal Democrats to take all of the blame.

Wow, if Mark Field is at all representative of current government thinking, then we may yet see sensible policy making.

That's actually cheered me up.

...very good synopsis, put it in a nutshell.....hopefully the light is now beginning to shine...soon more will begin to see it for what it was really worth a two tier society where the proceeds are not divided equally by input and hard work but by access to easy money and speculation. ;)

Wow, if Mark Field is at all representative of current government thinking, then we may yet see sensible policy making.

That's actually cheered me up.

It made me think he could be advised by other MPs to never to say anything like that again and they might arrange for him to be inundated with donation offers from vested interests to help him make the right decision.