House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vman7

Istanbul Property

WOuld like to know people's take on buying property in Istanbul. Has anyone had any experience?

I flew out a month a go to view a couple of buy to let apartments but caught in 2 minds wether to take the risk or not (i have nver bought a property). the number seem to stack up and the rent will cover the mortgage but worst case scenario is it will only cost £300 a month if it lays emply. £60000 for 3 bed apartment which will supposedly get rented every day of the week

From what i have read there is great growth in Istanbul and there is actually a shortage in housing.

any advice would be really appreciated

WOuld like to know people's take on buying property in Istanbul. Has anyone had any experience?

I flew out a month a go to view a couple of buy to let apartments but caught in 2 minds wether to take the risk or not (i have nver bought a property). the number seem to stack up and the rent will cover the mortgage but worst case scenario is it will only cost £300 a month if it lays emply. £60000 for 3 bed apartment which will supposedly get rented every day of the week

From what i have read there is great growth in Istanbul and there is actually a shortage in housing.

It is highlight dependant on the exact location and quality of the build. You can get some really dodgy work in turkey as building regs don’t really exist. Remember the not to distant moderate earthquakes that wrecked apartment after apartment?

Plus have you looked into the laws concerning property ownership. Some countries don’t allow foreign ownership of homes or land.

I know one person who was burned for >£40k from fake developers/lawyers etc who basically sold him a piece of paper rather than the apartment.

Also I suspect many of the homes standing today will be demolished in 20 years time as the country becomes richer. Take that into account, ie new regs require you to upgrade quality/safety etc which could cost a lot.

Vman7, did you get anywhere with your intentions to invest?

Do you have any resources at hand to explore the market further from sitting in the UK. e.g. what are the best turkish property websites? names of reliable property companies etc?

I am also interested in a potential future property investment (buy to let) in Istanbul, as the Turkish economy continues to grow stronger.

Turkey is one of those countries you need to be very careful of getting proper title to the property. If I were to buy there, I would use two independent attorneys to review the paperwork before I made the purchase. Good luck.