House Price Crash Forum

Who Needs Interest Rates To Rise....

Ungeared

HOLA441

I've just had a brand new boiler fitted in my 4 bed house, although I have a prepayment meter, EDF state on their web site that a key meter costs the same as a standard tariff, having said that, as a tight git i've been monitoring my gas usage since the new boiler went in and have adjusted the thermostat to( ball park)16 first thing for when i get up, 13 when i'm at work and 17 in the evening.

It's costing an average £4 a day, i'm quite able to afford this, having two lodgers to supplement all the bills, I have no mortgage and no debt, but if i were a family man with kids, mortgage, CC bills and so on, how the hell do these people manage with an average gas bill of over £100 a month on top of everything else?

A little snippet from Mumset, I think this young lady is in for a very nasty shock when they re-adjust her DD

AVeryMerryPersonalClown Tue 07-Dec-10 13:29:24

I'm scared that I'm going wrong somewhere!

3 bed house, gas central heating combi boiler, heating on constant due to stripping autistic boy and I pay £16 a month on DD.

* I think she meant Strapping :)

Edited by Ungeared

HOLA442

I'm on a prepayment meter in the current place. Seems absurdly cheap to run compared to the normal direct debit.

From £100 a month in the last place down to around £35. This is 2 bedroom flat to 2 bedroom flat.

Why do you need the heating on when you are out during the day? We just turn it on for 1 or 2 hours at a time to take the edge off and it seems to stay warm, unlike the old new build slave box we used to inhabit.

Edited by Kyoto

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

And you think the 'stat stays at 13!

:lol:

Actually yes I do, unless they are prepared to pick a 5 lever lock and then take on my Airedale Terrier, I've had my house converted, so I have a one bed self contained flat, the thremostat is in my flat, job done :D

Edited by Ungeared

HOLA447
HOLA448

Did a quick poll at work and it does seem about 70% of people have their heating set between 15->17C!

They think I'm mad for having mine at 22C when I'm at home!!!!

I'm I a freak for having my heating on so high?

Do you wander round the house with shorts and t-shirt?

My heating is set at 16, but sometimes gets turned down to 14 or lower when im training on my turbo trainer. Rule of thumb - if you arent wearing a jumper then put one on before turning it up. Me and my girlfriend are quite active - ie we dont site at home for hours in front of the tv and ive found that can make a difference

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I'm I a freak for having my heating on so high?

No, or at least not unless everybody on the civilised part of the continent is a freak too :-) I keep the temperature a bit over over 20, and 16 would certainly feel way too cold even for sleeping in. I am puzzled how it's possible to find lodgers who would willingly put up with accommodation heated to 13 degrees when they are in.

HOLA4411

No, or at least not unless everybody on the civilised part of the continent is a freak too :-) I keep the temperature a bit over over 20, and 16 would certainly feel way too cold even for sleeping in. I am puzzled how it's possible to find lodgers who would willingly put up with accommodation heated to 13 degrees when they are in.

Easy - just buy electric heaters to plug in :P

HOLA4412

Maybe it's the cavitiy wall and loft insulation, maybe it's the new windows, it's pretty cold outside and my room stat is sitting pretty showing a temp of 16, quite adequate, personally, anyone who thinks 16 is too cold to sleep in needs to "Man Up" :D

Edited by Ungeared

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I've just had a brand new boiler fitted in my 4 bed house, although I have a prepayment meter, EDF state on their web site that a key meter costs the same as a standard tariff, having said that, as a tight git i've been monitoring my gas usage since the new boiler went in and have adjusted the thermostat to( ball park)16 first thing for when i get up, 13 when i'm at work and 17 in the evening.

It's costing an average £4 a day, i'm quite able to afford this, having two lodgers to supplement all the bills, I have no mortgage and no debt, but if i were a family man with kids, mortgage, CC bills and so on, how the hell do these people manage with an average gas bill of over £100 a month on top of everything else?

A little snippet from Mumset, I think this young lady is in for a very nasty shock when they re-adjust her DD

3 bed house, gas central heating combi boiler, heating on constant due to stripping autistic boy and I pay £16 a month on DD.

Because if the G4 clowns don't control base money creation and raise interest rates, all these hitting stuffs will be even more expensive (in nominal GBP/USD/EUR/JPY term).

Thought I am betting that they won't do the right thing and invest accordingly.

Edited by easybetman

HOLA4415

OP. 13degress!! Are you serious? :huh: Indoors should be shorts and t-shirt territory, 22degrees min. I went around to a mates place recently and swore it was warmer outside!

You need to move to Spain, cheap houses I hear :D

HOLA4416

I'd imagine the lodgers use electric heaters to cope with the low temps. Do they pay their own electric?

How to stay warm for less:

get a blanket for when you're on the sofa.

visit friends more often. epecially the oldies and the ones with kids. They'll probably offer you tea and mince pies this time of year so you save on food too.

got to bed early.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

No, stripping would make sense in the heating context.

The whole prepayment meter not being more expensive thing is a bit misleading. Yes the Govt stepped in and prevented charges for key meters. *But* you will not benefit from the discount offered to people who pay via direct debit. So in effect, key meters are actually more expensive.

I find the whole room temperature debate very interesting. Our thermostat is now around 23C during the day. This is warm, but then what is heating for if you don't use it? I find lesser temps put a chill in the air. People do "climatise" over two weeks though, so you can get used to most differences. My wife likes warmth though, that's for sure.

During the night I have started to sneakily switch it off. The wife hasn't twigged yet haha. It gets a bit chilly, but the days accumulated heat takes more than a night to disappear IMO.

Any room heated to 13 - 16C is damn cold as far as I'm concerned. You can sleep through almost anything with blankets, but during waking hours being cold is just miserable.

I do really dread our heating bill for this winter.... :(

HOLA4419

This thread has bought a smile to my face, a very rare occurence on this board due to general end of the world scenarios banded about.

We live in a top floor (2nd floor) flat. Due to numerous tinkerings and configuration tests i've decided to just leave the heating on at 18.5 regardless of whether im in or not. I just don't give a f*&^. I tried to get it to come on at 6am-8am and 5pm to 10pm but does it? does it hell. So bugger global warming and rising utilitiy costs, im just going to have to cut back on something else to balance out the £20 it costs in gas a month. horror however can i cope!

The original poster sounds like a brilliant although hermit like landlord who lives in the top of the castle with all the heating and comforts. While 2 lodgers sit in the dungeons below with just hay to keep them warm.

I do indeed walk around the flat in my tshirt, why wouldn't i!? It's comfortable! i'm not sitting in a flat with a duffle coat on to save £10 a month when i could turn the thermostat up 2degrees.

Anyway thanks, its been a laugh reading the rsponses.

HOLA4420

You could argue that a small electric fan heater is better than central heating, for three reasons.

Firstly, central heating thermostats have a mind of their own. You're lucky to find one that works properly.

Secondly, central heating warms up a room very slowly from cold. That waiting time is a pain in the a**.

And most importantly, with a fan heater you tend only to have it on in the room you're in and when you're in it. You don't leave it on when you leave the house, and you take it with you when you change rooms. It's very easy to simply leave central heating on all the time, and that cost really accumulates. Why heat a whole house when you're probably only in one room? (excluding families).

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Sounds to me like the meter is not recording the units that are being billed for. I'll bet its measuring cubic meters and the charging is in cubic feet. This happened to me and my bill for a similar spec property was about 3 times what it should have been. I got a refund of about 2K when I finally realised why the bills were so expensive. Definiately something wrong with that setup (especially with the thermostat set at levels that Mr Scrooge would be proud of). I am with EDF too. If you check the bills, you can see what units you are being billed for. Make sure this is the same as those being measured by the meter.

Edited by ma-ku

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Why does nobody have their gas central heating configured so they can heat rooms individually? We don't really need heating in the bedrooms as we have very warm bedding and in the evening we only really use the kitchen and living room. Would be good to be able to heat just the rooms we are sat in, like in the old days when everybody sat round the fire.