House Price Crash Forum

Public Sector Cuts Bite..

NO excuse at all. As far as I'm concerned these are simply convoluted Brownian creations that was all a part of his off balance sheet funding for his spending plans. (and before you tell me the Tories invented them - I will say 'yes, I know' but not for the purpose that he had and anywhere near the same scale and incompetence)

I agree, these 'service' comapnies boomed considerably during the last 13 years, as did their profits.

Will the Tories say enough is enough? Fat chance I reckon.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also why is no one mentioning the likes of Serco, Capita, Accenture etc? Private sector companies making bilions of proffits on the back of tax payers? Oh sorry these are private sector aren't they, so they're excused.

Who allows companies like this to rip you off?

That's right, it's compliant ministers and senior civil servants looking for a lucrative retirement. Government ministers shouldn't be allowed to relax regulations and then jump ship to join the beneficiaries of these new lax rules. Senior civil servants should not be able to construct cushion soft contracts for private companies which they join immediately after retiring.

The whole thing stinks, it's crony capitalism at it's worst and it costs us all a fortune.

That's right, it's compliant ministers and senior civil servants looking for a lucrative retirement. Government ministers shouldn't be allowed to relax regulations and then jump ship to join the beneficiaries of these new lax rules. Senior civil servants should not be able to construct cushion soft contracts for private companies which they join immediately after retiring.

The whole thing stinks, it's crony capitalism at it's worst and it costs us all a fortune.

You mean like the allegations behind De La Rue?

My wife is in the public sector - her pay has been raised by £0 in 3 years with another years pay freeze to go.

With inflation that is a 15-20% real terms cut.

She earns about half of the HPC forums reported average pay and does something useful (e.g not an IT contractor or an accountant) but feel free to vilify the entire sector.

well, apart from her pay scale rises.

Yes in the early nineties I knew a couple, she a psychiatric nurse and he a policeman.

We met them when he was running his own local video shop. He was pensioned off on stress, and while so he started up his own business.

We found it all a little to convenient, she being a psychiatric nurse. Anyway, last we heard of this couple, he offloaded the business to a friend (ultimately going out of business), whist they moved to Australia to live off his early retirement. He was not even 40, as far as I could tell.

Toto,

I am having trouble joining up the dots.

25% of council tax now goes to pay pensions.

Huge deficit in Local Authority Pension schemes.

Your post and others.

Is there anything linking all these things?

Re the comments about people with stress.

I suffered terrible stress a few years back when my Mum was coming to the end of her life here. When I read about people off on long-term sick because of stress yet able to commute from Wales to Manchester or fly off to France for holidays it makes me feel... not angry... but just numb.

When I had stress I was so physically ill as a result - not just mentally - as true stress puts tremendous strain on your body as much as it can on your mind. I didn't get a penny from the state when I was ill despite paying NI twice because I am self-employed.

No, I don't feel numb when I read of such people. I feel disgust. It should be anger.

well, apart from her pay scale rises.

Nope, no movement along payscales either.

Anyway she reached the top of her payscale a couple of years back - £30,500.

However on the plus side she gets a 50% final salary pension and kick-ass maternity benefits and 30 days holiday and it is a nice place to work.

I'm not saying she has it tough just that 90% of people on here claim to be on £50k plus and moan about £18k care workers getting a 2+ payrise.

Nope, no movement along payscales either.

Anyway she reached the top of her payscale a couple of years back - £30,500.

However on the plus side she gets a 50% final salary pension and kick-ass maternity benefits and 30 days holiday and it is a nice place to work.

I'm not saying she has it tough just that 90% of people on here claim to be on £50k plus and moan about £18k care workers getting a 2+ payrise.

average pay is £25K

she is in the top 10% of earners.

She earns about half of the HPC forums reported average pay and does something useful (e.g not an IT contractor or an accountant) but feel free to vilify the entire sector.

Self Censored. I took the bait, then realised.

Suffice to say your stereotyping of HPC members is just as bad, if not worse, than the very stereotyping you accuse the other users of.

Edited by N1AK

I am hearing that the 'big cuts', allegedly, in Swansea Council Social Services will be 4 weeks annual leave instead of 5 and the working week will no longer be Mon to Fri but any given 5 days between Mon and Sat. No overtime unless it is between 11PM and 3AM so I am told.

Well, gee whiz! Drastic cuts wot!? I am told that there is much angst and anger about these changes in terms and conditions.

No big job cuts, no big salary cuts, no loss of pension rights.

They should consider themselves very very very lucky.

I am hearing that the 'big cuts', allegedly, in Swansea Council Social Services will be 4 weeks annual leave instead of 5 and the working week will no longer be Mon to Fri but any given 5 days between Mon and Sat. No overtime unless it is between 11PM and 3AM so I am told.

Well, gee whiz! Drastic cuts wot!? I am told that there is much angst and anger about these changes in terms and conditions.

No big job cuts, no big salary cuts, no loss of pension rights.

They should consider themselves very very very lucky.

Thing is that, without government, Swansea just does not have any economic base. Caught between rock and hard place.

Normally I wouldn't but as you've so kindly given me permission. As your definition of useful is evidently limited to simple tasks, often requiring labour of body rather than thought, she's doing work only marginal in excess of that to which monkeys could be fruitfully employed. She gets paid peanuts, and they can get away without giving her a pay rise because their are loads of acceptable candidates for every role. If her work is so valuable I'm sure someone would pay her well for it.

Then again what would I know. I get paid well for doing something you'd define as useless...

Nice try but she works in Medical research.

There have been 13 Nobel prizes awarded to her laboratory over the years, she works with 2 current holders and they were singled out in the Comprehensive Spending Review as a world class institute that would not have their funding cut at all.

They have also generated billions for the country through spin out companies.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited to take out my harshest line too!

However on here about a month ago we had a thread where the lowest anyone claimed to be earning was about £40k with the average being about £60k. If it is a stereotype then it is only based on the information people put on here and makes the bashing of people earning normal wages and the unemployed look a little tasteless.

Edited by Timak

Thing is that, without government, Swansea just does not have any economic base. Caught between rock and hard place.

This is the problem here in Kirklees as well. Large parts of the UK have sovietised to mask the collapse of manufacturing. Largest employers here when I was a kid in the 60's were perhaps ICI, David Browns tractors and the various mills. Now its Kirklees MC, the local NHS trust and the various colleges. After that its the supermarkets. One college even supports the local football team, as there is probably no private enterprise large enough now to cough up the £75k sponsorship. When (if) the edububble bursts heaven help us. These are towns that were originally created and expanded by private capital. Of course the main monument of the town, isn't to one of these early "captains of industry" its dedicated to errr ...Harold Wilson.

Working longer hours and/or taking a pay cut seems a sensible way to save your job, however these are public service workers we are talking about.

Edited by Sir John Steed

This is the problem here in Kirklees as well. Large parts of the UK have sovietised to mask the collapse of manufacturing. Largest employers here when I was a kid in the 60's were perhaps ICI, David Browns tractors and the various mills. Now its Kirklees MC, the local NHS trust and the various colleges. After that its the supermarkets. One college even supports the local football team, as there is probably no private enterprise large enough now to cough up the £75k sponsorship. The edububble bursts heaven help us. These are towns that were originally created and expanded by private capital. Of course the main monument of the town, isn't to one of these early "captains of industry" its dedicated to errr ...Harold Wilson.

Working longer hours and/or taking a pay cut seems a sensible way to save your job, however these are public service workers we are talking about.

Ditto here also.

I got invited along to the hospitality to watch the Swans play Millwall last week. I was amazed to see that a public sector body - the Gwalia Housing Association - advertising in the stadium. Why? Just why?

Edited to take out my harshest line too!

However on here about a month ago we had a thread where the lowest anyone claimed to be earning was about £40k with the average being about £60k. If it is a stereotype then it is only based on the information people put on here and makes the bashing of people earning normal wages and the unemployed look a little tasteless.

If i was on excess of £40k, I'd consider myself lucky. I wouldn't be concerned about the unemployed or £15k a year public sector workers.

So deploying the HPC principle of enforcing my own individual viewpoint as my basis of everyone else's reality, i can only conclude that the real average wage on this forum is nearer to £20k, not £60k.

:rolleyes:;)

Edited by PopGun

Ditto here also.

I got invited along to the hospitality to watch the Swans play Millwall last week. I was amazed to see that a public sector body - the Gwalia Housing Association - advertising in the stadium. Why? Just why?

We all sponsor Newcastle United (via Northern Rock).

While I'm on - the other staggering factor in our local LA (according to Mrs Y) is the number of people who right up until a couple of months ago were saying `they can't do without me/us`. Actually saying that in meetings. It's not just the money and inefficiency that needs to be tackled - it's a whole culture and unfortunately the calibre of the executives isn't up to it - TMT's anecdote about the shock engendered by tinkering with the hours of work show that too.

Like Petrica Hewitt?

This is where people's anger should be directed at. The corruption, back handed cronyism and excess executive pay should be getting the bile of the private sector worker, not the sub £20k service provider.

Edited by PopGun

just to rub it in,

"A council in east London spent more than £111m on one office block, including more than £1,800 on individual designer lights, an investigation has revealed."

"During the project bosses spent almost £10,000 on five designer light fittings - at a cost of £1,853 each.""The final £111.5m cost of the building was almost a third of the cost of Arsenal's 60,000-seater Emirates Stadium."

more here news article

Like Petrica Hewitt?

This is where people's anger should be directed at. The curruption, back handed cronyism and excess executive pay should be getting the bile of the private sector worker, not the sub £20k service providers.

It does. None of this bile is aimed at who you mention. Were seriously peeved at mid level civil servants on high salaries, long holidays, retirement lump sums(WTF is that about anyway) and unbelievable pensions. And then they'res their increments, which apparently isnt a payrise (WTF!!!) And all without a care in the world, or need to justify oneself.

In the private sector we are bleeding out. I see on my payslip the employer national insurance - its several hundred pounds a month. A company needs to pay the govt to employ me. Whats that about? Everywhere we turn there are taxes. We are dying here. Only those who are attached to the govt tit or money creation are doing well. Every other company is replacing UK workers with foreign workers abroad. In my industry anyway which is one of these high tech industries everyone bangs on about.

I suspect that one of the reasons for these kind of statistics is that the public sector has bought into the 'talent' ideology. This is the belief that all organisations are driven forward by the heroic actions of a few talented individuals who must be massively rewarded otherwise the organisation will collapse.

Its a right-wing, individualist, belief, but it was co-opted by the political correctness/HR wing of the labour movement after it abandoned any sensible left-wing ideology some time in the 90s. When elected in 1997, they spread this kind of crap throughout the public sector, in the way that they spread diversity training amongst the private sector.

This is a great example of why we need a coherent left-wing opposition, to point out that it is the structure of an organisation like the NHS and the interaction of its employees as a group that produces the results, not than the superhuman efforts of special individuals. The analogy with the England football team is obvious.

Edited by (Blizzard)