House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
exiges

Public Sector Cuts Bite..

My wife is in the public sector - her pay has been raised by £0 in 3 years with another years pay freeze to go.

With inflation that is a 15-20% real terms cut.

She earns about half of the HPC forums reported average pay and does something useful (e.g not an IT contractor or an accountant) but feel free to vilify the entire sector.

Those public sector boys have it tough you know.. spare a thought for them this Christmas.
If that's meant as a sarcastic comment, it's Daily Mail style nonsense. For every 'jobsworth' or 'non-job' in the public sector there's a 'cowboy' or 'conman' in the private sector. Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

If that's meant as a sarcastic comment, it's Daily Mail style nonsense. For every 'jobsworth' or 'non-job' in the public sector there's a 'cowboy' or 'conman' in the private sector.

Fighting amongst ourselves, is why they are able to buy water cannons, worrying!

That's more a recruitment freeze that is leaving young people on the dole. Not getting rid of wasters.

The problem is that the PS is even less of a meritocracy than the private sector.

They don't give public sector managers the training or the means to fire staff, so this is the result - PS cutbacks result in recruitment freezes not sackings. The mix of good staff and rubbish remains as before, whereas if the rubbish were sacked and they recruited youngsters, everyone in society except the PS wasters would benefit.

My wife is in the public sector - her pay has been raised by £0 in 3 years with another years pay freeze to go.

With inflation that is a 15-20% real terms cut.

She earns about half of the HPC forums reported average pay and does something useful (e.g not an IT contractor or an accountant) but feel free to vilify the entire sector.

Yes same situation here and she may very well be out of work at the end of January.

These 'average' increases must be skewed by fat salaries and bonuses for top management. Certainly does not seem to be happening down below.

Got to keep those masters of the universe, you know, otherwise they might leave and go to work elsewhere.

If that's meant as a sarcastic comment, it's Daily Mail style nonsense. For every 'jobsworth' or 'non-job' in the public sector there's a 'cowboy' or 'conman' in the private sector.

I wouldn't bother, as most have zero experience of actually working in the public sector. Whilst those who insist weak management, incompetence and non jobs don't exist in the private sector, obviously have little or no experience working in the private sector either.

It always puzzles me how these people can all hold down £100k year jobs or run companies generating all this 'wealth', when they spend their days slagging off public sector workers on internet forums.

These 'average' increases must be skewed by fat salaries and bonuses for top management. Certainly does not seem to be happening down below..

That's as maybe, but then one could argue the same is happening in the private sector.. the inescapable fact remains, public sector pay on average rose faster than the private.

"Friends on Facebook".

Number One. Mental Health Nurse. Off sick for being unable to sleep for FIVE MONTHS, but off to gym everyday and has built himself a toned body. Despite not being able to sleep, didn't mind taking the usual "supplements" including something called jack3d. Finally went back to work on Monday after occupational therapy gave the OK

Number Two. Not sure about this one but he's complaining about his public sector finance job, however from what I see he never goes in!! Don't think has worked for over six months. Appears to be suffering "stress" but can commute between Wales and Manc, and offers a kind of part time catering service. Went in for one day but didn't last till lunch time. Now his Council is making redundancies, but they haven't decided on his yet. Latest update was the council was about to pay him off (compromise agreement) and seem to be offering him ano,ther position!!??? I asked him who was doing his job atm? He said his boss?! So they don't really need this guy. Now complaining about his pay off to Union, and I've advised him to keep mouth shut about it, on Facebook, expecially if an NDA is involved.

When I used to visit parents in France, many of the Brits "retired" were teachers, or police off sick for or retired or suffering "stress." usually in their mid 40's. The fresh French country air allowed them to stage remarkable recoveries, as they were able to undertake large scale property renovations and do odd jobs. Perhaps they assumed the DHSS wouldn't hire private detectives to film them in the Charente, moving beams,knocking down walls and stonelaying? Tip of the iceberg, how many are in Spain living high on the hog?

So my limited experience of public sector working, suggests another world /parallel universe to the private sector. Its OK saying public sector can move to private, but without Unison etc, I just don't think they will cope.

Sorry bad typing balancing netbook in car.

Edited by Sir John Steed

I wouldn't bother, as most have zero experience of actually working in the public sector. Whilst those who insist weak management, incompetence and non jobs don't exist in the private sector, obviously have little or no experience working in the private sector either.

It always puzzles me how these people can all hold down £100k year jobs or run companies generating all this 'wealth', when they spend their days slagging off public sector workers on internet forums.

Its pretty easy. I dont have to pay for those bozos. Say theres a company like that, where theres loads of nonjobs. Well either they are living off past glories or their products will be uncompetitive against a competitor who doesnt have overpaid bozos. So i have the choice to buy the cheaper/better product or service(or not buy at all). The market eventually weeds these companies out. Its kill or be killed.

In the public sector, i have no such recourse. I cannot elect to take my money elsewhere. All i can do is emigrate. Not much of a choice. This is why the bitterness exists. We have a gun at our head under threat of bankruptcy/jail to pay a bunch of self serving gits. PS my wife works in the public sector and would agree with everything i said. Public sector world is like living in the 50's. A comfy living for all. Meanwhile we who pay for your nice life, starve, struggle and worry. And have done long before this recession hit.

Edited by DotBomb

When I used to visit parents in France, many of the Brits "retired" were teachers, or police off sick for or retired or suffering "stress." usually in their mid 40's. Needless to say the fresh French country allowed them to stage a remarkable recovery, as they were able to undertake large scale property renovations and do odd jobs. Perhaps they assumed the DHSS wouldn't hire private detectives to film them in the Charente, miving beams and bricklaying? Tip of the iceberg, how many are in Spain living high on the hog?

Yes in the early nineties I knew a couple, she a psychiatric nurse and he a policeman.

We met them when he was running his own local video shop. He was pensioned off on stress, and while so he started up his own business.

We found it all a little to convenient, she being a psychiatric nurse. Anyway, last we heard of this couple, he offloaded the business to a friend (ultimately going out of business), whist they moved to Australia to live off his early retirement. He was not even 40, as far as I could tell.

That's as maybe, but then one could argue the same is happening in the private sector.. the inescapable fact remains, public sector pay on average rose faster than the private.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of the public sector. I just think that these statistics are quite often over simplified in order to meet certain agendas. This seems to be one of them.

The private sector will always contain large numbers of people on low pay compared the public sector. And the smaller the public sector becomes, my guess is that the average salary will increase, as the less skilled tasks will have to be outsourced at the most competitive cost. This may show that average pay in the public sector is rising, when what matters is the total cost of service to the taxpayer, which should decrease.

Over the last three/four years.

What about the other twenty?

What about the other twenty?

If you factor in the extra week they take off sick each year they were still overpaid then too. Just moreso now. We won't mention their very generous pensions.

Edited by exiges

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of the public sector. I just think that these statistics are quite often over simplified in order to meet certain agendas. This seems to be one of them.

The private sector will always contain large numbers of people on low pay compared the public sector. And the smaller the public sector becomes, my guess is that the average salary will increase, as the less skilled tasks will have to be outsourced at the most competitive cost. This may show that average pay in the public sector is rising, when what matters is the total cost of service to the taxpayer, which should decrease.

The implication of the above statement, by the way, is that if the government aggressively cuts staff, salary, and costs (as it must), you can expect ALL salaries to decrease on average, not just public sector.

That's more a recruitment freeze that is leaving young people on the dole. Not getting rid of wasters.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/dec/14/gus-odonnell-plan-b-economy

The expected spike is highlighted in a prospectus, issued by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), for companies and voluntary groups bidding to take part in the Work Programme to find jobs for the long-term unemployed.

An annex to the prospectus estimates that between 140,000 and 200,000 young people aged from 18 to 24 will be registered as having been unemployed for at least nine months or more between 2011-12. This is at least a doubling of the number of young long-term unemployed.

Latest figures from the Office for National Statistics showed that in October there were 77,700 people aged 18-24 who had been unemployed for at least six months . It is not possible to make an exact comparisons between the two sets of statistics because the ONS measures long-term unemployment from six months, in contrast to the nine months recorded in the DWP's Work Programme. The forecast by the DWP suggests that the government is bracing itself for young people to suffer disproportionately from public sector job cuts and from the slow level of overall economic growth forecast by the Office for Budget Responsibility.

Its pretty easy. I dont have to pay for those bozos. Say theres a company like that, where theres loads of nonjobs. Well either they are living off past glories or their products will be uncompetitive against a competitor who doesnt have overpaid bozos. So i have the choice to buy the cheaper/better product or service(or not buy at all). The market eventually weeds these companies out. Its kill or be killed.

You don't have to buy their products, but someone else will. Bozos remain. Besides following this logic on to it's logical conclusion, every single company out there should be tip top perfect, whith all systers weeded out. I think we both know this is far from the case.

In the public sector, i have no such recourse. I cannot elect to take my money elsewhere. All i can do is emigrate. Not much of a choice. This is why the bitterness exists. We have a gun at our head under threat of bankruptcy/jail to pay a bunch of self serving gits.

If not enough people use the public service, the funding would get withdrawn and the service shut down. No going to your bank manager for an emergancy business overdraft.

PS my wife works in the public sector and would agree with everything i said. Public sector world is like living in the 50's. A comfy living for all. Meanwhile we who pay for your nice life, starve, struggle and worry. And have done long before this recession hit.

If I was one of these £100k + a year knobs running a council etc you'd have a point. UInfortunately like 90% of public workers I don't earn anywhere near this. Yet please feel free to continue your over dramatic and prejudiced rant.

PS my wife works in the private sector for a very successful multi-national manufacturing company. Funnily enough she also reports much middle management living stealing leaches and their cohort of incompetents, kicking back on inflated ‘market rate’ salaries.

Edited by PopGun

I see your point, rather like the Halifax's index average salary has increased, as only better paid are getting mortgages and can actually afford houses.

If you factor in the extra week they take off sick each year they were still overpaid then too. Just moreso now. We won't mention their very generous pensions.

I was hoping for an answer to my question, not more rambling.

Mrs Y works in LA (Education).

she has been involved in the redundancies in her area

Just like Pickles is devolving the blame for the job losses to councils - the council executives are devolving it down to the middle managers. This is partly because (as said above in this thread) - restructuring and reducing staff in a way that is legal, professional, sensitive and minimises disruption and long term damage to services is actually a very difficult thing to do - you need people who are very skilled managers to do it well. Many of the people at the top floated up there by being good at b******t and knowing the right people when money was no problem. They are now being found wanting of all the necessary skills so are concentrating on self preservation.

I suspect many of the councils will move slowly from a pyramid structure to a column structure as the lower paid lower rungs get eroded.

A few months ago the government made councils publish a list of their more highly paid jobs (on more than £50k or so iirc). A good story for the press would be to check when the dust clears what percentage of those jobs have gone compared with lower paid jobs.

Y

A few months ago the government made councils publish a list of their more highly paid jobs (on more than £50k or so iirc). A good story for the press would be to check when the dust clears what percentage of those jobs have gone compared with lower paid jobs.

Y

Yes this would be interesting.

The one valid point for the PS knockers is the executive pay argument. There is no justification for executive pay doubling or trebling over the last ten years.

also why is no one mentioning the likes of Serco, Capita, Accenture etc? Private sector companies making bilions of proffits on the back of tax payers? Oh sorry these are private sector aren't they, so they're excused.