House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ken_ichikawa

Storing Your Pms?

How do you store it? My Silver comes from HK, problem is although is comes in at below spot price it does not come in sealed plastic things like the Sarnia silver things do. Just to test if they are real I let some of them tarnish, and tarnish they did. As well as took them to a local dealer asking how much he'd take. (He verified them as real and offered me below spot price).

So once you've made your silver all shiny how do you store it lest it go all tarnished again?

Thanks

How do you store it? My Silver comes from HK, problem is although is comes in at below spot price it does not come in sealed plastic things like the Sarnia silver things do. Just to test if they are real I let some of them tarnish, and tarnish they did. As well as took them to a local dealer asking how much he'd take. (He verified them as real and offered me below spot price).

So once you've made your silver all shiny how do you store it lest it go all tarnished again?

Thanks

Tarnish is no big deal, silver is silver.

If you dont like tarnish then dont touch the stuff and stick it in sealable sandwhich bags.

Seal it up airtight and put it away never to see the light of day again.

tarnish is silver sulphide (or ate?) so if you remove it your removing silver. just leave it on and don't stress. I try to buy coints by the tube so i have a way of storing them.

My first Kilo landed the other day - I put my gloves on before handling it :D

I appreciate it's only a kilo "lump" of silver metal but the feel of it / density / coldness makes it a joy to simply just handle and admire..... makes me want a kilo bar of gold now :lol:

Would a food grade vacum sealed bag keep it pristine for a lifetime?

Use either a ziplock bag of the right size or heatseal a polytube or bag. Either is fine. You will get a mild patina forming but to the experienced eye this is desirable as the vague yellowish patina cannot be duplicated. A really pristine bar such as those from Cookson Gold will stay shiny.

You don't need to do anything else but keep rubber or elastic bands away from Silver, as the sulphur in the elastic will accelerate tarnishing. Remember you are storing investments, not silver plate. Don't polish it. Palladium and gold require no special treatment and will stay shiny forever.