House Price Crash Forum
Pole

Major Brainwashing Exercise By The Media

I was listening to the BBC radio, and was browsing through today's press articles about the inflation.

I assume that most newspapers employ journalists who know a thing or two about their subjects.

So, if an article is about economy, the newspaper would ask an economy editor/journo to write/approve of it.

What puzzles me is the fact that the HPC members (mostly amateur economists) have been talking about expected rise in inflation and are expecting some more in the future... Whereas, the newspaper journalists are always surprised by the growth of inflation!!!

Unless the journos are really stupid, we're part of a massive brainwashing exercise. The governement and its barking dogs (main stream media) want us to stay calm and continue believing that this rise inflation is like the recent snow falls - totally unexpected and unusual. (although snow was being predicted in the offtopic forum :lol: ).

OK. Here are some of the headlines I looked at - shame on you journalists!!!:

UK inflation rises to a surprise six-month high (telegraph)

Inflation rises unexpectedly in November to six-month high (reuters)

UK Inflation Rate Unexpectedly Increases to 3.3% (bloomberg)

Inflation rises unexpectedly (sharecast)

And here's the picture of Mr King missing the target again (was he given his job for life, regardless of the results?)...

article-0-0B32B370000005DC-413_468x286.jpg

BBC News 24 running the same shocked view on the rise however they mention that "there are no tools left to control this" but then go on to dismiss the option of further QE.

Amusingly they state that the BoE are watching this like "hawks", Mervyn and his staff should pack up now and have a long christmas break.

Amusingly they state that the BoE are watching this like "hawks", Mervyn and his staff should pack up now and have a long christmas break.

Here are the BoE watching it like hawks:

article-1043377-05FF99A6000005DC-643_634x398.jpg

and then voting for the rates to stay at 0.5%:

article-1043377-05FF99F4000005DC-210_634x359.jpg

I was listening to the BBC radio, and was browsing through today's press articles about the inflation.

I assume that most newspapers employ journalists who know a thing or two about their subjects.

So, if an article is about economy, the newspaper would ask an economy editor/journo to write/approve of it.

What puzzles me is the fact that the HPC members (mostly amateur economists) have been talking about expected rise in inflation and are expecting some more in the future... Whereas, the newspaper journalists are always surprised by the growth of inflation!!!

The difference is that newspaper reporters and editors simply reproduce whatever is written in the press releases that they receive, whereas HPC members actually do their own analysis.

The unquestioning reproduction of press releases, known as ‘churnalism’, has been discussed on many threads on here, and is best exposed in the book Flat Earth News by Nick Davies. The journalists don’t do it out of malice, but simply because they do not have the time or resources to research real news stories.

I don’t know how the monthly inflation figures are released to the media, but I would guess it is in the form of a press release from the Bank of England. Presumably the press release every month contains the word ‘unexpected’ in big, red, Eric-style letters!

The unquestioning reproduction of press releases, known as ‘churnalism’, has been discussed on many threads on here, and is best exposed in the book Flat Earth News by Nick Davies. The journalists don’t do it out of malice, but simply because they do not have the time or resources to research real news stories.

thanks for this - I shall get the book as I'm totally fed up with the quality of news reporting.

I'm going to go against all the leading economic experts and journalists and say the following.

"I EXPECT inflation to continue to rise"

When it does, I will usurp all economic forecasting and people will hitherto refer to me as The Oracle and bow to my greatness. It will be lonely out there, but I have the good of my people at heart and it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I'd say sometimes it's just because the press releases fit the party line of the journalist, especially in the BBC.

I'm a hack myself and although I publish a lot of press release stuff, it only takes a few minutes to check on them. Eg, lobby group A (let's call them the Fruit Council) says fruit is better for you than biscuits. It only takes a short time to get a quote from lobby group B, let's call them the Biscuit Council, refuting it, and then you've got a reasonably balanced article.

It's also easy to filter out dodgy press releases, once I got a press release with a whole lot of stats with no references, and it turned out they came from 'the internet' but nobody was sure where - result, press release in bin.

thanks for this - I shall get the book as I'm totally fed up with the quality of news reporting.

Yes, good book. Not ideal for anyone who likes to believe too many conspiracy theories though, as it ends up being the "bottom line" that leads to most journalistic inaccuracy.

However, the real story here is the BoE. How can they ignore almost a year of inflation running at over 3%, when the target is 2%. They have a lever - interest rates - but they are afraid / reluctant to use it. Meanwhile, pensioners and those with savings in cash are the frogs being boiled...

Yes, good book. Not ideal for anyone who likes to believe too many conspiracy theories though, as it ends up being the "bottom line" that leads to most journalistic inaccuracy.

who dear, me dear, no dear? how very dare you! :lol:

Here are the BoE watching it like hawks:

article-1043377-05FF99A6000005DC-643_634x398.jpg

and then voting for the rates to stay at 0.5%:

article-1043377-05FF99F4000005DC-210_634x359.jpg

Breast augmentation? Have these guys been taking hormone supplements? In the first photo the blonde looks like the aged female lead from Abba...

Proof below (she's not topless though):

23-Frida-dpa1.jpg

Edited by Toto deVeer

I'd say sometimes it's just because the press releases fit the party line of the journalist, especially in the BBC.

I'm a hack myself and although I publish a lot of press release stuff, it only takes a few minutes to check on them. Eg, lobby group A (let's call them the Fruit Council) says fruit is better for you than biscuits. It only takes a short time to get a quote from lobby group B, let's call them the Biscuit Council, refuting it, and then you've got a reasonably balanced article.

It's also easy to filter out dodgy press releases, once I got a press release with a whole lot of stats with no references, and it turned out they came from 'the internet' but nobody was sure where - result, press release in bin.

So you present false dichotomies served up by vested interests whilst ramping cognitive dissonance amongst the confused masses...

Ladies and gents may I present the know-nothing journalistic interpretation of 'balanced'.

Dear George,

Inflation a bit high again but under control, nudge, nudge.

How's the wife and kids. Will write again next month.

Best

Merv

Are you working for Wikileaks??? How else would you have acces to the BoE letter template? :lol:

The only thing Merv and BoE muppets are watching like hawks are their inflation proof BoE nest eggs.mad.gif

Here it is again, th real reason why the Bank of Theft from Savers in England aren't worried about inflation. Their Pensions!!

Cash equivalents Feb 09 - Feb 10

Mr C Bean 1,435,700 1,972,600 up 536,900

Mr P MWTucker 2,300,900 3,017,100 up 716,200

Remuneration of Governors, Directors and MPC Members

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/annualreport/index.htm

Edited by Redhat Sly

Unless the journos are really stupid, we're part of a massive brainwashing exercise. The governement and its barking dogs (main stream media) want us to stay calm and continue

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, particularly given my assessment that the immediate necessity of the Irish bailout was 100% media driven. I think what we are seeing is the transformation of mainstream media outlets into pure VIs mouthpieces.

I put it down to cost cutting (not enough resources to do research and take time to analyse) together with the 'me/now generation' phenomenon that afflicts journalists just like everybody else and stops them from doing some actual thinking.

The result is that mainstream media now systematically rely on 'trusted' sources to do the thinking and analysis for them. Those sources generously take on the cost of analysis/research for the media outlet, and in return can feed the media with any uncensored BS that fits their purpose of the day.

My two pence, I'm still trying to improve my understanding of the clusterf*ck we live in today...

The BOE are failing the taxpayers by not delivering on their promises

In the BIG SOCIETY do we get the opportunity to reselect? This time based facts?

we are bankrupt, start by telling the truth.....

The difference is that newspaper reporters and editors simply reproduce whatever is written in the press releases that they receive, whereas HPC members actually do their own analysis.

I'd say the difference is that most of the nutters on HPC want inflation running high to force the BOE to raise interest rates , thus forcing more repos and more people to lose their jobs, loads of human misery just so they can be proved right in their decision to STR in 2006/7/8 or whichever year the tried to beat the market.

I'd say the difference is that most of the nutters on HPC want inflation running high to force the BOE to raise interest rates , thus forcing more repos and more people to lose their jobs, loads of human misery just so they can be proved right in their decision to STR in 2006/7/8 or whichever year the tried to beat the market.

I don't think you understand the HPC message.

Most of us on HPC want the return of sanity when it comes to the issue of debt. So, here's a lesson that people need to be taught:

Debt doesn't equal growth. Debt is not freedom.

Debt is slavery. Financial freedom can only be achieved through SAVINGS.

If pain is required to teach people that lesson, so be it. Everyone will benefit in the long term.

The BOE are failing the taxpayers by not delivering on their promises

In the BIG SOCIETY do we get the opportunity to reselect? This time based facts?

we are bankrupt, start by telling the truth.....

I seriously wonder if he (Merv) could be served with an "order of Mandamus".

Any mainstream Journo's reading this need to start doing their ******!ng job properly and serve an FOI request on the BOE regarding the targeting of inflation. Start digging. Deep.

It's your money, your savings too. They are trying to slip this one past the people and are succeeding because you're too lazy to do a little research.

Edited by Jack's Creation

I don't think you understand the HPC message.

Most of us on HPC want the return of sanity when it comes to the issue of debt. So, here's a lesson that people need to be taught:

Debt doesn't equal growth. Debt is not freedom.

Debt is slavery. Financial freedom can only be achieved through SAVINGS.

If pain is required to teach people that lesson, so be it. Everyone will benefit in the long term.

I understand the message very well. I just hate the way the nutjobs on here cheer job losses as good news. There are some proper bitter, jealous people who post on here.

I'm no sure your quite right people here wanting high inflation a many on here have some cash holdings which aren't earning well. You seem to feel that high housing are some how humane, not sure I can agree with that like I'd not advocate high food or fuel prices.