House Price Crash Forum
The Moderators

Members' Profiles -- Changes To The Database.

Following a suggestion from a poster and after discussion with the mods and admin we have decided the time is right to remove the required questions on Bull/Bear/Neither status and gender.

From now on you can edit your profile settings and in the "About me" field you can put your bear / bull status or not - its up to the individual. You can put your gender in there too if you want. Or you can keep your opinions private. It's up to you.

Following a suggestion from a poster and after discussion with the mods and admin we have decided the time is right to remove the required questions on Bull/Bear/Neither status and gender.

From now on you can edit your profile settings and in the "About me" field you can put your bear / bull status or not - its up to the individual. You can put your gender in there too if you want. Or you can keep your opinions private. It's up to you.

Effectively you can keep both your opinions and your privates private.

This is to save RB from further embarrassment or acting as a contrary indicator? laugh.gif

its just the Bear Neccessities of strife...yeah man. Its a jungle book on here.

Erm, I don't see how to put in any status at all now :(

You know my species is neither bull nor bear. I was looking to be able to enter it for the first time!

Daft decision to remove it. Always good to know at a glance where a posters vested interest lies.

+1 to me it was one of the fundamental indicators on this site, when the bulls popped up things usually got interesting

Daft decision to remove it. Always good to know at a glance where a posters vested interest lies.

Well, I'm delighted.

The definitions were so narrow as to be close to meaningless.

I would rather the status still showed next to each post though.

Well, I'm delighted.

The definitions were so narrow as to be close to meaningless.

I would rather the status still showed next to each post though.

Bear, Bull, Neither are meaningless? Pretty clear to most people.

Go to "My settings"

Click on "profile"

go to "About me"

type in whatever you want

Tried that and clicked "update status" but it isn't showing (on my pc anyway).

Bear, Bull, Neither are meaningless? Pretty clear to most people.

It forced people into taking a position on nominal prices.

For most people, real prices (and actual cost) are more important.

It forced people into taking a position on nominal prices.

For most people, real prices (and actual cost) are more important.

Agreed - I'm very bearish on real prices, but less so on nominal prices (although here in NI, they're still cratering). I think both will fall, but the former will be the bearfest, IMO.

Under your avatar I can see your membership group , date of joining, number of posts, location and About me. Are you on classic blue?

I can't, I see this.

Fullscreencapture14122010141737.jpg

Under your avatar I can see your membership group , date of joining, number of posts, location and About me.

Are you on classic blue?

I am now, and now I can see it!

Agreed - I'm very bearish on real prices, but less so on nominal prices (although here in NI, they're still cratering). I think both will fall, but the former will be the bearfest, IMO.

It already is.

Over the last 3 years: Cost of living up, wages up, opportunity cost down, mortgage rates way way down, huge sterling devaluation, fiat collapsed against PMs, stamp duty for most FTBs utterly gone, nominal house prices down in almost all areas...

We've had a massive crash, and people don't seem to have noticed!

We've had a massive crash, and people don't seem to have noticed!

That's because we were starting from an even more massive bubble. It was so ridiculous that when prices finally started coming down in 2008, even homeowners thought that was a good thing because they had continuously been going up so much. Those days didn't last long...

Do you mean nothing will ever show near their forum name when they post?

If so, that is a dreadful move and the poster who suggested it should be given a good birching.

It didn't mean that much anyway - how many false bears have you known over the years.?

You can put a bit in "About me" if you want others to know your opinion.

I guess this is the reason for the change?

I always scanned it though as you got a litmus test of someones VI. Do you think we should have something to replace it, someone suggested inflation, deflation? Anybody else have a suggestion?

edit: I might be being really cynical, but it's not because "loads" of people have suddenly started turning bull or neither lately has it, or is this just coincidence?

Edited by pl1

It would be nice to have more options or the ability to set it to whatever you like - e.g. mentalist uber bear.

Personally I could not give a monkeys.

As Far as I am concerned, generally speaking, it is the contributors or forum members who make the place what it is.

HPC is obviously going to attract rebellious natured people.

The less I know that Mods exist on a forum, the better the forum.

HPC has ticked all the boxes so far.