House Price Crash Forum
frenchy

Euro Rising Sharply Against Sterling

I am really sorry if this is somewhat a bit off topic but I have some (a lot) euros I have been waiting to convert back into GBP and would like to avoid doing it through my bank as they take the p*** with rates. Is there a forex type place where I can transfer EUR to have it converted to GBP and sent back to a GBP account?

Thanks

Why not have a look at World First.

I'm not sure how they compare to others are but they're good enough for me.

thanks, looking at it now, in your experience do you know how their rates differ from spot? the website is not very clear on that front.

for personnal exchange, I have been using my Goldmoney holding (0.49% + spot rate) but it will not work with business accounts etc.. anything within 0.5% of spot is good enough for me

Are you sure you want to hold a lot of Sterling? Maybe you want the money to buy a house here :rolleyes:

Not sure what I'd do with a lot of Euros... Buy farm land in Poland?

I live in the UK (and have been for 10yrs now) and unfortunately will at some point have to buy a house for my family (and I mean a home not a pwopwety...), so I am slowly preparing for it. I have too much euros relative to Sterling. As you said, I don't know what I would buy with my euros anyway!!!

http://www.xe.com/

Contra move on the Euro--news has all been negative on the Euro with a thread this morning that they are giving them an 80% chance of Euro failure. I had a feeling this would all be a strong Euro buy and sure enough it is! When news is bad--BUY BUY BUY!!!

thanks, looking at it now, in your experience do you know how their rates differ from spot? the website is not very clear on that front.

for personnal exchange, I have been using my Goldmoney holding (0.49% + spot rate) but it will not work with business accounts etc.. anything within 0.5% of spot is good enough for me

I'm afraid I can't help you with the mundane technicals. My other half deals with that.

I am really sorry if this is somewhat a bit off topic but I have some (a lot) euros I have been waiting to convert back into GBP and would like to avoid doing it through my bank as they take the p*** with rates. Is there a forex type place where I can transfer EUR to have it converted to GBP and sent back to a GBP account?

Thanks

I use OANDA and would recommend the service. Hope that helps.

http://fxglobaltransfer.oanda.com/?srccont=belowgraphic

"When news is bad ...."

How about borrow and buy a nice house in France?

That's my plan anyway.

If I may, as I am french, why would I want to live in France? Why would you want to? I am mid-30's, self-employed and liking it. If I worked in France I would be paid 1/2 of what I get and would only be able to be employed (as there is no such as self-employment) and stuck for there for the rest of my life because wanting to change job is perceived as a negative thing. As much as I dislike the UK (and I do a lot) and think it is not a very good place for my kids to grow up, I really don't want to live in France, I can't stand it anymore, I will undoubtedly retire there, I do spend a bit of time there on holiday but that is it, I certainly don't want to live there.

I use a UK company called CaxtonFX. Haven't had a problem for the last 6 yrs and the rates are pretty good.

The £ has een falling for the last 2 days. However, they say that this is a bit of profit taking as the movement has been upwards over the last few weeks.

I'm waiting to do the opposite from you - ie. move sterling into euros. (yes, crazy maybe, but I spend my dosh in euroland.....)

I'm going to take a few more weeks to see if the £ can climb above 1.20€.

Maybe see some upward movement again by the end of the week, if I'm lucky.............

If I may, as I am french, why would I want to live in France? Why would you want to? I am mid-30's, self-employed and liking it. If I worked in France I would be paid 1/2 of what I get and would only be able to be employed (as there is no such as self-employment) and stuck for there for the rest of my life because wanting to change job is perceived as a negative thing. As much as I dislike the UK (and I do a lot) and think it is not a very good place for my kids to grow up, I really don't want to live in France, I can't stand it anymore, I will undoubtedly retire there, I do spend a bit of time there on holiday but that is it, I certainly don't want to live there.

You are Marine Le Pen and I claim my 5 euros !! :D

I must be mistaken when i see all the cafes , restaurants, delivery firms, 1* and 2* hotels down here on the Riviera and think that those people are so lucky to own their own businesses.

And the 100's of thousands of people who have taken the status of "auto-entrepreneur" since 2008.

I'm not French, but to moan like you do above is really pushing it............... :rolleyes:

I always recommend HIFX when this topic comes up. I use them for work transactions and the odd personal item. Very good service and speed of payments. Rates should be pretty keen. No connection with them other than being a customer and they take me out to lunch sometimes.

You are Marine Le Pen and I claim my 5 euros !! :D

I must be mistaken when i see all the cafes , restaurants, delivery firms, 1* and 2* hotels down here on the Riviera and think that those people are so lucky to own their own businesses.

And the 100's of thousands of people who have taken the status of "auto-entrepreneur" since 2008.

I'm not French, but to moan like you do above is really pushing it............... :rolleyes:

auto-entrepreneur is a pretty useless status limited to a ridiculously low turnover and no-one will take an auto-entrepreneur seriously and fund any business activity.

it has been created to "legalise" the black market and try to re-coupe some lost revenue. that is not self-employment by any mean. try setting up and running a LTD company in France and you will find that the grass is far from being greener... and the Riviera is as representative of France as Brighton is representative of the UK...

and no I am not Marine Le Pen but if you are in need of 5euros I will happily buy you a drink at a Riviera's cafe!!!!

I use a UK company called CaxtonFX. Haven't had a problem for the last 6 yrs and the rates are pretty good.

The £ has een falling for the last 2 days. However, they say that this is a bit of profit taking as the movement has been upwards over the last few weeks.

I'm waiting to do the opposite from you - ie. move sterling into euros. (yes, crazy maybe, but I spend my dosh in euroland.....)

Maybe see some upward movement again by the end of the week, if I'm lucky.............

for me it is the opposite, most of my dealings are in GBP these days so I need to have some GBP reserve to avoid getting caught by surprise. I still have a good few 10's of kE on my personal savings account that I intend to keep as an hegde (and also have a CHF account in Switzerland). But the rest ought to be in GBP to buy a house but also to pay salaries, tax, etc.. I hope it doesn't climb back up to 1.2 too quickly but my personal experience is to avoid panicking, it will return above 1.2 in due course then back down towards 1.1 and so on. I don't believe the EUR is dead, I don't believe the USD is dead and I don't believe GBP is dead. It is just a game...

auto-entrepreneur is a pretty useless status limited to a ridiculously low turnover and no-one will take an auto-entrepreneur seriously and fund any business activity.

it has been created to "legalise" the black market and try to re-coupe some lost revenue. that is not self-employment by any mean. try setting up and running a LTD company in France and you will find that the grass is far from being greener... and the Riviera is as representative of France as Brighton is representative of the UK...

and no I am not Marine Le Pen but if you are in need of 5euros I will happily buy you a drink at a Riviera's cafe!!!!

I was joking about the Le Pen similarity. It's just that the old cow has been on tv a lot in the last 2 weeks. Always slagging off France but never offering any solutions other than "send them all back". Pretty limited appeal, but add in her menaces of "the end of France as we know it" .... and it does start to grate a bit. Her father spouted the same for 50yrs. Plus ca change.... :rolleyes:

I can't fully agree with you re. auto-entrepreneurs. I know a few people who have used this status as a quick and cheap way to setup a business to test the market for their product/service. Agreed, you wouldn't expect to continue to trade with this status if your business started to expand and up its turnover. But it's a good starting point for many people, particularly those who don't have a large amount of capital to start up with.

The black economy wouldn't touch the auto-entrepreneur status with a barge-pole.

"Why would you want to?"

There came a time when it seemed like a reasonable idea to get my **** outta the smoke (Lahndon) and have a stab at being a reasonable father and a reasonable husband rather than an absentee alcoholic.

And for that I certainly could have done worse than the middle of nowhere in the middle of France. Extended stays are less expensive than the Priory and the air's better.

Where I live is certainly more like frenchy's description than the Riviera. I always had a picture of the Riviera as a bit more like South Kensington on Sea than Brighton, if a bit more stuck up.

Although, I bet there is a deeply entrenched seamier side of illegal immigrants living in squalor doing most of the ugly manual labour, high youth unemployment, narrow intellectual horizons and a pervading sense of declinisme.

Certainly, that's what i find in Paris, which for my sins I have to pass through from time to time, where as I don't for the Riviera.

The idea of living somewhere fundamentally civilised, surrounded by natural beauty, good wine, food and few temptations, high quality services and deserted open roads, where one is tolerated if not accepted seems like a good one to me

Sure, I have to make my money elsewhere because I certainly can't make any wonga in this part of Fronga but that's not such a bad thing. It get me out of the house.

Edited by indirectapproach

Sure, I have to make my money elsewhere because I certainly can't make any wonga in this part of Fronga but that's not such a bad thing. It get me out of the house.

I suppose if I could work remotely then I would contemplate living in "rural" france or somewhere nice and quiet. The problem is when you get closer to place where there is work then "rural" France is no more and it loses its appeal.

Also I suppose Paris may feel nicer than London, but if I can avoid both I'm happy, I am not a city kind of person.

+1 for caxtonFX

used them for the best part of a year and they are reliable and seem pretty good value. There may be small rate variations between Caxton and other providers but you would probably have to bring in a massive amount to worry about the difference. The key is not to do a simple transfer direct to your UK account, your bank will rip-you off to the tune of around 1-2.5 %.

Rising rapidly? It's up just over a penny since yesterday. So what? It's down 4p from a couple of months ago. Relax!

Have you tried Crown Currency? They offer much better rates than banks.

I really can't tell if this is a joke or not or if you were being serious and didn't realise.

Isn't everyone predicting the euro to come under severe pressure in Jan/Feb?

Don't some of the weak links have to roll over some debt then?

Since the Germans won't let ECB buy this debt and since Sarko shot his bolt in the summer by threatening to withdraw and the money in the stability pact/s isn't enough and the international markets don't fancy it and nor do the Germans at a level the weak link/s can afford ..... I suspect there is a good chance of a failed government debt auction.

I then suspect the poor government that's failed to sell its debt to "have" to try and soldier on from within the euro currency union.

In other words, rather than failure followed by withdrawal/exclusion from the euro, I think the option of failure followed by continued exclusion merits some consideration now.