House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie The Tramp Returns

Travelling To Eu Countries Without A Passport

A person I know wants to travel to a couple of EU Countries but does not have a current passport.

I told him you don`t need one you can enter any EU Country as long as you have accepted documentation such as a UK photo driving licence which holds your photo and all required personal details.

Am I right?

A person I know wants to travel to a couple of EU Countries but does not have a current passport.

I told him you don`t need one you can enter any EU Country as long as you have accepted documentation such as a UK photo driving licence which holds your photo and all required personal details.

Am I right?

Dona't think so. I stand to bve corrected but I think the only accepted document if you don't have a passport is a state issued ID card which the UK doesn't have.

if you don't have a passport is a state issued ID card which the UK doesn't have

Then in that case I will advise him to complain to the European Court as it is against his fundamental human rights. :D

Friends of mine travelled from the UK via Calais to Budapest by coach, after showing their passports at Calais no further checks were made as they passed through the borders to their destination. :rolleyes:

Am I right?

nope you cant if you are from the uk, you are talking of the Schengen agreement which is theoretically borderless although you may get asked for your passport even travelling across these borders, the uk is not part of schengen and some schengen countries arent part of the eu such as Switzerland

Possible but you need to be lucky,

Back in the early 00s Manchester immigration control was lazy, more than once I walked through off a plane from Germany without being checked.

Twice on bike ferry trips, I got onto the Pont Aven in Plymouth after some bloke handed a bunch of passports and tickets to the guy at the booth. I was behind them. They thought I was with them.

I was also waved through at Calais once in horrible weather, guess the guy didn't want to open his window to check. I was frozen to the core and shivering and took ages just to get off the bike.

I had a passport stolen in Spain in 2006 but fortunately I had my photo-id driving licence with me. A stamped form from the police station showing I had reported it as stolen got me on the plane. Immigration at Birmingham airport had me fill in a big form explaining the circumstances, police report no., etc. but I got back in.

I expect you could get out of the UK fairly easily without a passport but not being in the Schengen agreement means you need it to get back through immigration. It's a bit like the pets' passports really, only needed to come back. You can travel freely within the EU with only id, but since British citizens don't have id cards, only a passport is appropriate really.

In 2008 I took the Eurotunnel and drove through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria and Poland.

I also took the bus to Slovakia and the train to Hungary.

The only time I had my passport checked was in Dover (not even in Calais on the way back - although I may have Dover and Calais mixed up)).

Whether you legally need a passport or not, the ferry companies will not carry you if you do not produce one at Dover.

I had a passport stolen in Spain in 2006 but fortunately I had my photo-id driving licence with me. A stamped form from the police station showing I had reported it as stolen got me on the plane. Immigration at Birmingham airport had me fill in a big form explaining the circumstances, police report no., etc. but I got back in.

I expect you could get out of the UK fairly easily without a passport but not being in the Schengen agreement means you need it to get back through immigration. It's a bit like the pets' passports really, only needed to come back. You can travel freely within the EU with only id, but since British citizens don't have id cards, only a passport is appropriate really.

I'd doubt you'd get out by air as everyone has to produce something to get on a plane which is travelling out of the UK. It would be much easier by sea or tunnel, I think.

Then in that case I will advise him to complain to the European Court as it is against his fundamental human rights. :D

Friends of mine travelled from the UK via Calais to Budapest by coach, after showing their passports at Calais no further checks were made as they passed through the borders to their destination. :rolleyes:

I did Denmark to Sweden by coach over their fancy new'ish bridge a few years back and don't recall having to show my passport. The only check I remember was a customs bloke getting on he bus in Sweden and asking whether anyone had anything to declare to Swedish customs. He did check passports of a couple from Czech Republic, allthough no one else.

...or tunnel, I think.

Last time coming home (from UK to France) we took the tunnel and no one bothered with the passports at all. Sometimes that has been the case with the ferries but the tunnel is for sure the best way out.

Once when I came back from France I presented my driving licence.

I got a derisory look from the customs officer and a demand to see my passport. I thought about arguing but then thought getting home in less than 12 hours and the potential of having a fist stuffed up my **** might not be worth trying to prove a point.

I don't think technically you need a passport to get into the UK. But getting in without one would be a lot of hassle, as you would have to prove your status some other way.

I'm sure in the past people must have had passports lost/stolen on planes etc and still managed to return.

One thing I did think was that it is possible for europeans to enter the UK on driving licence, not just ID card. I can understand UK people being made to present a passport in lieu of an ID card, but if foreigners are allowed to enter on driving licences then surely if a UK citizen isn't then it's a contravention of EU law, as every EU citizen is supposed to have equal rights ?

Am I right?

I went through quite a few EU countries and the only check was on leaving the UK. No other checks were done not even entering the UK.

For many years my wife travelled to and from France and UK with only her French ID card. She didn't have a passport at all.

Even as a UK resident you don't technically need a passport but in reality you'll find it difficult without one.

Dona't think so. I stand to bve corrected but I think the only accepted document if you don't have a passport is a state issued ID card which the UK doesn't have.

The UK does have a National Identity Card and I have one which is still valid and I travel all over Europe and back into the UK with it. They have not enacted the law to invalidate them yet.

Very interesting reading your replies, if true then I can now understand why we have so many illegal immigrants here. :rolleyes:

Next May I myself will travel on Eurostar to Brussels along with a group of 30 protesters just in possession of photo UK Driving Licences, if refused boarding the Eurostar watch BBC 10 o`clock that night.

A few days before an Email will be sent to Rumpy Pumpy informing the damp rag of our intention. :D

Now a great rendering of Jerusalem. ;)

For many years my wife travelled to and from France and UK with only her French ID card. She didn't have a passport at all.

Even as a UK resident you don't technically need a passport but in reality you'll find it difficult without one.

I remember a program on Radio 4 some years ago where the interviewee, an eccentric englishman, travelled the world without a passport. He claimed that there was no law that compelled anyone to have a passport. He obviously enjoyed the hassle and mentioned that he spent several nights in custody at various times in various countries.

Technically do you need a passport?

They used to have "in transit "in the USA but since i think 2003 you have to enter the country and then leave it again, even under the visa waiver scheme.

It does mean you can wander about outside the airport for 10 minutes and have a cigarette before heading back in for a US style securty check and then

get the visa cancelled in Canada, otherwise you will be rejected on the way back as an overstay if the gap is longer than 90 days or sometimes 30 days

depending on what they randomly decided to grant you.

Some people get in cancelled it Canada and then Alaska give you 90 days tourist, then reenter Canada and then the USA and then Mexico and bounce

across Mexico/USA until they decide to kick you out. Still legal AFAIK but someone might give you a short visa which will make everyone else do the same.