House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fellow

Councils Facing 9.9% Core Funding Cut

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11980367

Councils in England are to face cuts of almost 10% next year in their core central government funding.

The coalition said the "formula grant" from Whitehall would be reduced by 9.9% in 2011/2012 and by 7.3% in 2012/2013.

The cuts are part of a policy to cut central funding to local authorities by 28% over four years.

Ministers promised a "new democratic settlement", with more money being found to help deprived areas. But Labour called the cuts "devastating".

In the House of Commons, Communities Secretary Eric Pickles said councils would see their "spending power" reduced by on average 4.4% next year, with no authority facing a decline of more than 8.9% for any of the next three years.

These figures are smaller than the overall 9.9% because they include all other grants and income that councils get, such as council tax and NHS funding.

The BBC changed their headline so I started a new thread.

Edited by fellow

Just at my sister's she is in HR and is a member of CIPD so gets the monthly magazine. Article in December's edition saying public sector job cuts will be as many as 1 million and can the private sector take up the slack, don't see them figure's banded about in the press do you.

Good.

I need my bins emptied, a few local coppers an maybe a street light.

Everything else is window dressing (including the street light I guess) and the unemployable herds can go feck themselves.

Just at my sister's she is in HR and is a member of CIPD so gets the monthly magazine. Article in December's edition saying public sector job cuts will be as many as 1 million and can the private sector take up the slack, don't see them figure's banded about in the press do you.

the private sector CAN take up the slack, but on much lower salaries, often behind checkouts

Edited by Si1

the private sector CAN take up the slack, but on much lower salaries, often behind checkouts

Afraid not.... automated self checkouts these days... 2 years ago supermarkets had two people looking after 4 self service tills. I wandered into a Tesco the other day and one person was looking after 12 checkouts.

If we can do without these services now then these are not real jobs at all. May as well be paying people to dig holes and another lot to fill them in.

This is well overdue.

I think the original statistics might have been because Piggy Pickles had asked Lord Mandelson to give them a quick respray. :lol:

Oh no, fewer diversity co-ordinators!!!
No, they'll just set up as independent diversity co-ordination consultants and do assignments for big PLCs :lol: Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

Slightly inspired by a thread where it was suggested that HPI was holding up well where public spending was still going strong, did some research in my area of Kirklees.

Kirklees council and the local NHS Trust, provide almost half the employment, with manufacturing representing just 11% of the workforce. Then there is the University and Technical College. At one time David Brown's or ICI would be among the larger employers.

For an area that was the "cradle" of the Industrial Revolution this is scary. The sovietisation of large area's of the North of England has occurred which these cuts will hardly address. Also I can't see "capitalism" rushing in to fill the jobs.

They'll merge with the paperclip counting and auditing department.

FREE PAPER CLIP AUDIT FOR YOUR BUSINESS FOLLOWS:

---

Paper Clip Audit

Competent Person: __________

Date: __________

Reference: __________

Department: __________

Desk/Work Station Number: __________

1. Are paper clips located in the designated area? Yes [ ] No [ ]

2. Are paper clips in more than one location ? Yes [ ] No [ ]

If no, please report immediately to the paper clip spatial coordinator for advise.

3. Paper clip count:

Number of size 0 (small) paper clips: __________

Number of size 1 (medium) paper clips: __________

Number of size 2 (large) paper clips: __________

Number of size 3 (jumbo) paper clips: __________

If any value <10. Please refer to SOP4.8 to refill as necessary.

4. Paper clips out of shape: __________

If any value >0. Please report to your Paper Clip Team Leader for advise with regard to safe disposal and local recycling facilities (if available).

5. Paper clip colours:

A. Silver: __________

B. Black: __________

C. Blue: __________

D. Red: __________

E. Others:: __________

Please specify colour and number: __________

6. Time in minutes to complete audit: __________

7. Signature: __________

No, they will be fine. it will be fewer bin men.

Birmingham council is cutting their wage by £6k per year. They are striking for one day 20th Dec.

Have some friends who work on them, very good money for the work and you get finished about 1-2pm each day.

Oh no, fewer diversity co-ordinators!!!

In your dreams.

The areas likely to be cut will be all discretionary services. such as transport grants to rural bus services

There will also be cuts in the number of fire engines, closed libraries, fewer youth clubs, no money for road repairs etc

The disabled and their carers will be hit particularly hard with many losing access to care assistants day centres etc

In fact the whole weight of the cut backs is falling on front line services

The good news is no councillors will be asked to reduce their allowances and the chief executives will still be on £200K plus a year even though they now have fewer responsibilities.

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

Good.

Everything else is window dressing (including the street light I guess) and the unemployable herds can go feck themselves.

Hang on - care of the elderly.

Local authorities pay for alot of carehome places and care in the home. And it looks like the NHS is going to have to offload a lot of its geriatric care.

I know many HPCers wish people with assets would pay for their own care by liquidating, but there's going to be a horrible mess if the budgets for this care are pulled (assets or no assets).

Good.

I've said it before.

All you numpties who are cheering about all this will not be getting any tax cuts to match the reduced services. We will all end up paying more for less.

You will end up taking your bins to the dump yourself and as far as local coppers go you are joking surely. I hope you own a cherry picker to change the bulb in that street lamp cos no other bugger's going to be doing it for you.

The good news is no councillors will be asked to reduce their allowances and the chief executives will still be on £200K plus a year even though they now have fewer responsibilities.

My local Council sponsors the local football team. I hope that isn't cut! laugh.gif

I've said it before.

All you numpties who are cheering about all this will not be getting any tax cuts to match the reduced services. We will all end up paying more for less.

You will end up taking your bins to the dump yourself and as far as local coppers go you are joking surely. I hope you own a cherry picker to change the bulb in that street lamp cos no other bugger's going to be doing it for you.

Does anyone have a rough breakdown of what councils are responsible for/spend their our money on? Then perhaps we can nominate areas to suffer most from these cuts. I know we all want the diversity co-ordinators to go, but what department do they work for?

Hang on - care of the elderly.

Local authorities pay for alot of carehome places and care in the home. And it looks like the NHS is going to have to offload a lot of its geriatric care.

I know many HPCers wish people with assets would pay for their own care by liquidating, but there's going to be a horrible mess if the budgets for this care are pulled (assets or no assets).

Rumour has it that Pickles was in such a rush to prove himself a 'good boy' to Cameron and Osborne that he agreed the financial cuts to his department before all the impacts had been done. Wiser ministers dragged their feet in order to get a better negotiating position with the Treasury. It is only recently that Pickles has realised the full ramificiations of what is going to happen and he has been apparently been pleading with Osbourne for more money. When the cuts really bite this is going to be very hot political potatoe with the Communities Minister finding himself. set up by his Cabinet chums as the fall guy when the inevitable public reaction starts. I would not be surprised to see Cameron sacrifice Pickles once the cuts are completed as some sort of sacrificial offering to the electorate. Frankly it would be no more than the fat, arrogant git deserves.

Afraid not.... automated self checkouts these days... 2 years ago supermarkets had two people looking after 4 self service tills. I wandered into a Tesco the other day and one person was looking after 12 checkouts.

I refuse to use those things.

I refuse to use those things.

I have vowed not to in the past , however if I pop into tesco and there are only 3 check outs open that have an operator and the queue for them is very long I have ended up using them.