House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Sando

Snow In Ankara Turkey

Well in one of the hottest years on record we have snow in Ankara

We also have the coldest recorded start of december in the UK on record.

then in America we have the metrodome roof collapse

Also in Australia we have rain day after day and in Cancun we have record low temps while they bash out the global warming farce.

But it has been one of the hottest years on record.

Ankara is in central Anatolia. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey#Geography_and_climate) tells us that

Winters on the plateau are especially severe. Temperatures of −30 °C to −40 °C (−22 °F to −40 °F) can occur in eastern Anatolia, and snow may lie on the ground at least 120 days of the year.

There are several ski resorts within 50km of Ankara, so it's not a huge surprise that there's snow at this time of year.

Also in Australia we have rain day after day and in Cancun we have record low temps while they bash out the global warming farce.

I think if you ask the people of Moscow and a very large area of Russia that surrounds Moscow how hot it was this year, they'll have a different opinion to yours.

However, like your examples, this was also a localised phenomenon and therefore only locally important.

From Wiki :

Ankara has a continental climate, with cold, snowy winters due to its elevation and inland location, and hot, dry summers. Rainfall occurs mostly during the spring and autumn.

I didn't say it doesn't snow did I, I just pointed out it is!

Sure, but it's very hot in Turkey in the summer and people think that it must be like that all the time. Parts of it get really cold during the winter.

DUDE that Turkish vid is like TWO YEARS OLD!!!

Turkey isn't a hot country other than the coastal regions. Everywhere else is mountainous highish altitude and fairly cold. I was fairly surprised to learn this first hand and sleeping in ditches and abandoned buildings felt extremely cold on my bike trip.

I lived with my parents in Ankara for 3 years in the 1960's Heavy snow was normal and tyre chains compulsory.

Unlike our over feminised, Nanny knows best state, in Turkey, if you got stuck in the snow it was your fault, not some Minister's.