House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

I.r.a Moved Into Btl According To Leaked Documents

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/12/wikileaks-ira-irish-boom-business

The IRA used the Celtic Tiger economic boom in the Irish Republic to diversify into "more sophisticated business enterprises" by buying up properties in London, Dublin and Spanish resorts, according to leaked US diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks.

A senior Irish police officer told the American embassy in Dublin that the IRA used the booming Irish economy to move on from 1970s-style racketeering as it turned to "apparently respectable businessmen" to raise funds.

The cables also show that the growth of the Celtic Tiger was so admired in Washington that the US treasury secretary travelled to Dublin in 2004 to discover the "secrets" of Ireland's success.

The IRA's changing business practices are revealed in a cable by Jonathan Benton, the then deputy chief of mission at the American embassy in Dublin, which reported on meetings with senior Irish police officers and senior officials from the department of justice.

Benton wrote that a senior Garda, whose identity is being protected by the Guardian, "commented that IRA money was constantly moving, flowing from diversified sources into wide-ranging investments".

The cable added: "While the IRA had been proficient in smuggling, robbery, and racketeering since the 1970s, the Celtic Tiger economic boom of the 1990s had prompted the IRA to diversify into more sophisticated business enterprises.

IRA investments now included real estate ventures in Dublin, London, and Spanish resort areas, handled by apparently respectable businessmen."

The cable said the new funds were being used to support Sinn Féin. "Irish officials, more generally, remain concerned that IRA funds acquired through sophisticated investments are seeping into resources available for Sinn Féin's political activities in the Republic of Ireland."

Sinn Féin described the claims as "complete nonsense". "Sinn Féin is the only party [in the Irish Republic] to publish its accounts before legislation was passed requiring others to do that," a spokesperson said.

James Kenny, the US ambassador to Ireland at the time, also reported that Washington was so impressed by the growth of the Irish economy that the then US treasury secretary, John Snow, visited Ireland. A cable, sent on 24 November 2004, may make painful reading on both sides of the Atlantic after the Irish Republic agreed an €85bn bailout with the EU and the IMF last month.

"The … visit of US Treasury Secretary John W Snow was an opportunity for discussion on the 'secrets' of Ireland's success with policy-makers and businessmen who were the architects of Ireland's Celtic Tiger economy. These key figures noted that while the concepts behind Ireland's reforms had been simple, the political will to carry out the reforms had only come in the context of an economic meltdown in the mid-1980s. They said that good-faith relations with labour, investment in education, and a 'dictatorial' leadership that exposed industries to the full discipline of the market had been key to success."

So even the terrorists couldn't resist BTL as a one way bet.

I wonder if they took out liar loans to fund the purchases? You also have to wonder if any of these loans have been made by the Irish banks now currently being bailed out by the Irish taxpayer and if our own RBS / HBOS got involved in lending money for the IRA property empire.

It would be interesting to know how much property the IRA actually own.

Not really suprising. I always thought one of the main reasons for the end of 'the troubles' was the boom over there. There's not a lot idealogical about the IRA, they are just a criminal organisation. Whilst the opportunities for laundering and doubling their money have been numerous they have been quiet Now NI is feeling the pinch expect trouble to return.

Not really suprising. I always thought one of the main reasons for the end of 'the troubles' was the boom over there. There's not a lot idealogical about the IRA, they are just a criminal organisation. Whilst the opportunities for laundering and doubling their money have been numerous they have been quiet Now NI is feeling the pinch expect trouble to return.

I totally agree. I've always said that the reason for the reduction in violence since the late '90s was the fact that the Republic became richer than the UK, making a united Ireland a more attractive prospect than when it was a poor backwater. Now Eire's fecked again, I expect the aversion to a united Ireland will return, and the wrecked NI property economy will further exacerbate the problems.

Come on, most of the IRA people didn't exactly do very well. Most of them were jailed, injured or killed for next to nothing in terms of financial reward. They were primarily driven by ideology. The British used cash to normalise the situation - not a stupid thing to do by any means.

Drive around parts of W Belfast and the housing is very nice compared with the slums that were there before. I was working in a very rural area years ago, when bombers and snipers were still out in force - and there were all kinds of grants, etc., - people were doing very well - that was an area where nearly every farmer was supporting the provos - the cash took the edge off things and gave people sight of an alternative future, even in this area where the locals had been rebelling hard against the Brits since the Elizabethan 'fire and sword' pacification of Ulster http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Years%27_War_(Ireland)

Edited by gruffydd

http://www.guardian....h-boom-business

So even the terrorists couldn't resist BTL as a one way bet.

I wonder if they took out liar loans to fund the purchases? You also have to wonder if any of these loans have been made by the Irish banks now currently being bailed out by the Irish taxpayer and if our own RBS / HBOS got involved in lending money for the IRA property empire.

It would be interesting to know how much property the IRA actually own.

http://www.telegraph...to-the-IRA.html

Telegraph article from 2005 about one alleged very senior members alleged BTL* empire being seized by the then ARA now SOCA now???

I wonder what happen or was there not enough evidence.

He also claimed and got 600k from the MOD for low flying helicoprters causing his cattle to stamped and get trampled to death (Sunday Times front page article). The MOD is now unsure if the cattle ever existed but the Vets involved got struck off and fined.

*In this case it was actually Buy not Borrow To Let!

Allegedly ~250 properties in manchester valued at ~£30m @ 2005 prices.

Edited by koala_bear

Telegraph article from 2005 about one alleged very senior members alleged BTL* empire being seized by the then ARA now SOCA now???

He also claimed and got 600k from the MOD for low flying helicoprters causing his cattle to stamped and get trampled to death (Sunday Times front page article). The MOD is now unsure if the cattle ever existed but the Vets involved got struck off and fined.

Taking a punt then the IRA could easily have a £200m - £500m property empire possible on paper, if not more.

If they did view it as a one way bet, it's possible this figure could even be as high a £1bn+. It would be a very good way to recycle drug cash and we all know that sector is very profitable.

No wonder the splinter groups have started to threaten the bankers.

So even the terrorists couldn't resist BTL as a one way bet..

So they've piled into BTL, flats in Northern UK, and Spanish property.

Although the British Army could'nt defeat the IRA; the banksters have succeeded :)

EDIT: sp

Edited by dryrot

Taking a punt then the IRA could easily have a £200m - £500m property empire possible on paper, if not more.

If they did view it as a one way bet, it's possible this figure could even be as high a £1bn+. It would be a very good way to recycle drug cash and we all know that sector is very profitable.

No wonder the splinter groups have started to threaten the bankers.

They were never heavily involved in the drug trade.

The arm of the law was always applied very selectively, for the aforementioned reasons.

The Guards and the Brits once had an incredibly aggressive stand off in Mr Murphy's house - the border went through his house and the Irish kicked the British soldiers out.

So they've piled into BTL, flats in Northern UK, and Spanish property.

Although the British Army could'nt defeat the IRA; the banksters have succeeded :)

EDIT: sp

The IRA moved away from militarisation after the Hunger Strikes - the long war had turned into a stalemate so they wanted a political way out, which they eventually got.

As you know I come from the world of spin - and spinmeisters were behind so much misinformation re: the ira, loyalists, british, etc.

It's pretty clear there was a concerted effort to link the IRA with drug dealing but I'm a sceptic. I was aware of ciggy and fuel smuggling. Sure, and the usual Dublin pubs and clubs, but could never see any direct stuff going on.

It's a bit like my earliest memory - the exploding pram - those dastardly Irish had exploded a pram in an attack on soldiers, putting civvies at risk too. It was all over the news over here.

Except there was no pram and there was no bomb.

Edited by gruffydd

The arm of the law was always applied very selectively, for the aforementioned reasons.

The Guards and the Brits once had an incredibly aggressive stand off in Mr Murphy's house - the border went through his house and the Irish kicked the British soldiers out.

http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Rage-Eamon-Collins/dp/1862070474

A hard book to read, but worth it. What the IRA was really like, and why young men joined. Mr Collins was murdered by the IRA, partly for writing it.

yeah, I remember being pulled off a bus by customs in Newry once, and thinking of him.

It was such a horrible civil war. thank god it's over.

Toby Harnden's written some interesting stuff too.

Edited by gruffydd

Frankly, BTL was such a good way of getting a return that any criminal would have been mad to keep doing crime. Why engage in the risk and hard work of breaking the law when you could make more money buying houses legitimately? Even the Brinks Matts haul looks like hard work compared to buying a 'portfolio'.