• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From 1982, influenced a lot of stuff imo

The first one is brilliant, the extended mix sounds a bit too like Air for me. If we're throwing down early 80s stuff:

Like most people I was first introduced to the song by the much more famous Quincy Jones version, but the original is much more charming.

But as a proper cheese-pop enthusiast I can't ignore this truncated cover, in which Laura More demonstrates that she's a lovely dancer and a pathetic deliverer of a roundhouse kick :P

Edited by Rave

Mike Posner - I Took a Pill in Ibiza

Really good current stuff.

Sounds like some sad sack misery to me. Now Prism is nowhere near as good an album as Teenage Dream (that would be one of my Desert Island Discs), but this is Katy Perry demonstrating how to do that sort of slow funk autotuned modern pop much better:

Got on a random youtube rampage. Came across this which I couldn't resist buying at the time. I felt like a bit of a Saville taking it to the till but I just couldn't resist!

"You've got ears on your head like Spock in space / You've got teeth in your head like Mr Ed!"

If that doesn't make you laugh you've got no hope!

That Santigold track above is being used on a House of Fraser advert. Very modern ;)

I hadn't looked at the "charts" in a long time.. the Mike Posner one is at #3 in the best selling singles at the moment, amusingly the title gets truncated to simply "In Ibiza" ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The first one is brilliant, the extended mix sounds a bit too like Air for me. If we're throwing down early 80s stuff:

Like most people I was first introduced to the song by the much more famous Quincy Jones version, but the original is much more charming.

Cheers, Great Bass on the first one, with a jazz funk interlude, better than the Qunicy one imo

Gino Soccios' other classic was ... Dancer

Sampled by David Morales, but I can't remember on what tune ?

Tasty modern remix

Robert Hood - Dancer (Original Mix)

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship
  • 2 weeks later...

Catching up..

BT - Namistai, from the "Movement in Still Life" LP - absolutely superb, only picked this up recently

Edit: it's been bugging me what that sounds so much like. Got it: Tilt, Invisible.

.. and although I'm not into rap music so much, give it a superb rapper with funny lyrics and a lovely melody and I fall for it (how times have changed, this would have been banned everywhere back in even the 1990s)

Matoma and Notorious BIG - Old Thing Back

Edited by DTMark

Cheers, Great Bass on the first one, with a jazz funk interlude, better than the Qunicy one imo

Gino Soccios' other classic was ... Dancer

Sampled by David Morales, but I can't remember on what tune ?

Is it the Pet Shop Boys' "New York City Boy"?